Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding present ideas please

• 09-10-2006 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Looking for ideas for a wedding present. Any favourite/special wedding presents that you received? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭the corpo

I always think flight vouchers are a good 'un

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭cupsoftea

money. Really, what you like they won't necessarily like and what they really like they will have bought for themselves.
    My house is full of things that the gift-givers loved but which while they are nice I would never have bought for myself and can't seem to find a place to put them.
    Vouchers are good because they can use them how they like.
    Do NOT buy waterford crystal - everyone else will and they will have loads of unmatching bowls and glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

i would go for money aswell,its badly needed after a wedding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Money here too, I would certainly prefer that, put it towards a house, savings or whatever. Its what I done with mine. If you are going to get a present, let them have the receipt so they can change it if they want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭GAA widow

money or vouchers http://www.giftvouchershop.ie/ - you can use these vouchers against practically anything!

like a previous poster said, if you'd prefer to choose to buy a gift maybe include the gift receipt (won't have the monetary value on it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Cold Hard honest to goodness CASH...

Thats what I always give and would like to recieve, they'll have to splash alot of it to the Hotelier the next day for the reception!!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Cash in the currency of wherever they are going on honeymoon. We got that from a few people and it was pretty sweeet not having to worry about finding an ATM after getting off an eight hour flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 geofftulip

may i suggest something that is completly unique and can be personalised to yuor requirements. i produce handcrafted wooden bowls or platters that come in presentation handmade high quality boxes. the platters are most popular as they can come carved with celtic scrollwork for example but some choose a quotation, saying or date that may prove special to the couple. they can also be made with 'lovers handles' on opposite sides with initials carved into the handles. one thing is for sure - they are truly unique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ickle

Vouchers and money are a great wedding present but if you want to do something a little different how about this. Find out how many guests will be attending the wedding then buy that amount of postcards and stamps. Put the happy couples address and a date starting from one month after the wedding on the postcards. The idea is that the bride and groom get a post card from one of their guests for the first year or so of their marriage passing on their best wishes or a memory of the wedding day. It takes a bit of work but it was done for a friend of mine and they really liked it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

If they have no wedding present list then I would ask what they wanted...the amount of photo frames, glasses, crockery, repeat prezzies, things that will never go up in my home in a million yrs such as a crusafix (always a go-er for athiests who deliberately don't have their wedding in a church :rolleyes:) that we got verged on the rediculous despite carefully putting together a list of things we actually liked!

I'm sure some folks think they have found the perfect gift but it can be very frustrating to recieve anything you know you don't want or need & so the couple themselves are the best people to ask about it. Best prezzie we got was a crate of champagne - can't go wrong with that as long as they drink! :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭whiteboard

I got a present of the two familes coats of arms, very nice. Got the same thing I for my mate who i did best man for on Saturday. appreciated on both occassions.

Available from the house of names - http://houseofnames.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aanhoudend

I came across this great site! Hope you find it useful.

http://www.weddinggiftbags.webs.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

see, this just proves that one persons taste and idea of a lovely present is another persons idea of tat or clutter.
    No offence to any other posters but so far all of the ideas here I would hate - sorry, but I am not an ornament/chrystal/coat of arms sort of person.

It also depends a lot on budget. What is nice as a token low cost gift is a different market to a more expensive present - we got this big chrystal frame and its still in the box! it was quite expensive, but every time I think of it I just think of what else we could've done with that €100! I know that is very ungracious, but its the truth.

So as others have said, cash, or prize bonds (they can always cash them in if they really want).

If its a smaller token, one nice present we got were some good quality towels with a logo personal to us that our friend designed. They are in our guest bathroom and really nice. she also got us two bathrobes with our names on, a bottle of champagne and scented candles and bath salts - basically a romantic bath set. Really nice and was a great treat for relaxing on our honeymoon after all the madness of the wedding planning. Likewise depending on the couple, a couples spa treatment might be nice.

another nice voucher can be travel or hotel vouchers - we got a voucher for €200 for a hotel in Waterford and used it a few weeks after the wedding. We got a deal and the voucher got us 3 nights B&B and evening meal, bottle of wine etc - that was REALLY appreciated cos a weekend away after the expense of the wedding would never have been an option otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 s_upergirl

We bought a voucher for a hotel for my friend who got my married - thought it would be nice for them to take a break later on in the year as they would prob be still broke from wedding:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

money money money, we're only a few months married and in the current climate its the absolute best. Fair enough its not going to be sitting in some fancy cabinet for the rest of your life but hey are you really going to remember who gave you what? ive always given money for weddings also, more flexible for the newly wed couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We're getting married in February 2010 and are hoping that people won't get us anything except money for presents. We have our own apartment, we've lived in it for 5 years, it's bursting at the seams with stuff so the last thing we need is any well intentioned presents.

Of course we don't expect people to fork out huge sums of money as wedding presents, we don't expect much from anyone at all but if people ask us then we say we would prefer money.

Perhaps if one or two very good friends got us something specific then we would appreciate it but we've simply got no room for 20 or 30 presents in our apartment.

A hotel voucher is good but again unless it is somewhere we would love to go there is always a risk that it will sit in a drawer somewhere until it expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I've bought vouchers for restaurants for friends who've got married recently. It seems to be appreciated. Also vouchers for a night in a nice hotel usually go down well.

Personally i'd prefer if someone spent 10 euro on a bottle of wine for me instead of getting me a portrait/ornament for 50 euro. Can't stand them so it really depends on what the people you're buying for like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Lucky1218

I think a puzzle which is a photo of the new couple will be memorable. After combining them toghther, they can recall their happy time together.

Lucky1218 wrote: »
    I think a puzzle which is a photo of the new couple will be memorable. After combining them toghther, they can recall their happy time together.

then again, as mentioned before, some people (like me) would hate to receive something like that and if I am totally, brutally honest, I would look at that and think the money would have been better spent in cash! in fact €10 cash would be worth more to me than that! I doubt I would ever have the time to actually complete the puzzle and then in all probability would never get around to mounting and hanging it.
    Then again I am sure that there are equally as many people who would LOVE this present.

Thats the whole crux really isn't it - unless you really do know the couple well and know that they will enjoy/appreciate your present, although it may seem impersonal and even a bit vulgar to some, you can't go wrong with money or prize bonds. Even if it is impersonal, it won't go to waste and will be made use of.

Edit to add - also just confused as to what relevance the link has to wedding puzzle photos????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

then again, as mentioned before, some people (like me) would hate to receive something like that and if I am totally, brutally honest, I would look at that and think the money would have been better spent in cash! in fact €10 cash would be worth more to me than that! I doubt I would ever have the time to actually complete the puzzle and then in all probability would never get around to mounting and hanging it.
    Then again I am sure that there are equally as many people who would LOVE this present.

Thats the whole crux really isn't it - unless you really do know the couple well and know that they will enjoy/appreciate your present, although it may seem impersonal and even a bit vulgar to some, you can't go wrong with money or prize bonds. Even if it is impersonal, it won't go to waste and will be made use of.

100% agree with you, I'm getting married soon and was looking at the suggestions here and (no offence meant here..) I pretty much cringed at the majority of stuff here- I know plenty of people who would love those presents but TBH if I got them as a present they'd be staying in the box and going in the attic.
    The amount of rubbish we (hubby and I) got when we first bought our house was unreal- a childish unicorn statue with glitter, a clock made out of spoons, china plates that are a good 30 years old and really really paper thin delicate, the list goes on and on and while all well meaning, absolutely useless. Money would have been a huge help to us and much appreciated, same goes for wedding. The relief of some of the bill being taken off us will be just the best thing ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Money is definitely the best option, but if the couple actually want something besides money (it does still happen), for a friends wedding last year I got a star named after herself and her husband to be and they loved it. It's different, it'll last a lifetime & it's not going to clutter up the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

If some of the presents I got for Christmas are any indication of what these people would buy us for a wedding present then I can honestly say they're wasting their money because if I can't sell it on ebay I'd give it to a charity shop.

Some people may like knick knacks cluttering up their houses but my OH HATES stuff like that, he's not at all sentimental so there's no way he'd keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

A Roomba robot hoover (circa 250 euro, great for 2 or 3 ppl to give as a present) - it's traditional in that it's for the house - but cool because it's something that that you wouldn't normally buy yourself. A brilliant addition for any house!

http://www.snotr.com/video/1921 (cat not included!)

Glowing wrote: »
    A Roomba robot hoover (circa 250 euro, great for 2 or 3 ppl to give as a present) - it's traditional in that it's for the house - but cool because it's something that that you wouldn't normally buy yourself. A brilliant addition for any house!

http://www.snotr.com/video/1921 (cat not included!)

erm, no ta. I'd rather have the €250 and keep using the hoover I already have.
    Yes it is something I wouldn't normally buy for ourselves - there is a reason for that!:p

there is one thing I wish we had got as a present, as it is something we keep meaning to get but never bothered and that is a good quality set of cutlery. But as it turns out we got a couple of vouchers for Debenhams and a few for Arnotts, so we are planning on picking one up in the sales. So again, unless you know of something that the couple would like but have not been able to afford for themselves, vouchers, money or prize bonds are more sensible.

(also on the hotel vouchers, whilst we loved ours, the gift givers had the sense to choose a hotel which is not extortionate and which gives plenty of special offers - no point having a voucher for a hotel that they have to add money to in order to use it).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I think that the best wedding presents are either (a) money or (b) One4All vouchers. I think really any other sort of voucher / hotel voucher, etc. can be very easily not used as the couple may have no interest in it.

At least if you got One4All vouchers, it's practically cash because you can use it anywhere, you can even spend it in a supermarket so it could be used for groceries, etc. I actually think that One4All vouchers are great.

Personally, I would not like to get these knick-knacky type presents, I would like to be able to choose stuff myself. Wouldn't be a fan of hotel vouchers either - what if the couple don't like the hotel / location, etc. - then it won't be even used.

Oh and on that Roomba robot vacuum - he's not meant to be all that. My folks were looking at him when they were in Harrods last year - he can only do one room at a time (and doors must be closed) coz otherwise he can leave the room and go do stuff a second time, etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

What if money isn't really an issue for the happy couple? :confused: Rare I understand but still something that happens

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Yoda08

Alicat wrote: »
    What if money isn't really an issue for the happy couple? :confused: Rare I understand but still something that happens

Rare in these times!!

Alicat wrote: »
    even rich people like money, so its not like they will be stuck with something they don't want! :p
    its more a case of not giving something they don't like/want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I was reading some other thread here about how people would be highly insulted to be asked for money instead of gifts and I was astounded- everyone has forgotten why presents were given in the first place...

To help the new couple start their new life together!

That's why couples a generation ago got toasters and irons etc, they wouldn't have had a house yet and needed all these essential items.
    Nowadays most couples have their house first and have all they need in it-
    How are you helping the couple with wooden bowls, waterford crystal and puzzles?? They probably already have a house full of stuff and sometimes kids!

Weddings gifts aren't supposed to be about being remembered for giving something, they're supposed to help the couple and in this recession it's a harsh reality that more than likely the couple will need help paying for the wedding and it will be far more appreciated than a clock made of spoons!
    So, unless they have a wedding list, don't bother with the gifts.

Advertisement