Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2018 / 2019 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Mortelaro wrote: »
    A snowmaker of a northeasterly for east leinster if ever you saw one for next thursday,notice how it's the same day again so creeping closer not further away ,happy with that all ?

UKMO?

Always good to have that onboard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

pad199207 wrote: »
    UKMO?

Always good to have that onboard

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Darwin

UKMO: Quite a westward flattening of the azores high allowing the NW/SE slider to potentially deliver the goods for Eastern parts on Wednesday. GFS doesn't flatten it as much, so will be interesting to see what the ECM puts out later.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Feckin FV3 is stuck again. This has been happening a lot recently, hopefully they get it resolved before the 18Z later so it doesn't just get overwritten before we can look at it properly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

GFSP firing some real cold into europe
    2rr2p1y.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Ok GFS 18z with the full on reversal pretty much. Imagine this continued. I still think its going to be more of the icon route however that high looks like it will be hard enough to shift.

image.png.5d8cdfecbc26bb5396fffd41d4d32bac.png

Snowshield? What snowshield?

210-574UK.GIF.789db02687b669380efeb847e125c745.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

That is one pretty F.I run for cold lovers, streamers galore with that one... :)

anim_xxw9.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

With sub -40 air at 500 hPa anything is possible. Pity the ECM is so different at the same time range

GFSOPEU18_201_1.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

6 days out... come to papa. 3/4 days of snow and sub-zero day temperatures will do me.

Backs off again on the 0Z, but it comes in again in the next few frames after these - rollercoaster anybody? :D

Again, these are all F.I. charts, even the best charts at this range will chop and change
    so don't worry- good news is that massive cold pool in Europe is just building away there, waiting to be tapped into...

anim_czg6.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,129 ✭✭✭highdef

I actually think the latest GFS run is very good. Yes, on the face of it, is a lot worse looking than yesterday evenings run however the proper cold pool is literally right on the door step of the east for much of the second half of the run. Yes, this may move further and further away in each subsequent run, at which point I will lose optimism however the current set of charts are screaming of potential.
    Let's see what the next (just about to begin) and subsequent run or two come up before seeing any possible changes of trends. One less good run on its own is rarely to be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

highdef wrote: »
    I actually think the latest GFS run is very good. Yes, on the face of it, is a lot worse looking than yesterday evenings run however the proper cold pool is literally right on the door step of the east for much of the second half of the run. Yes, this may move further and further away in each subsequent run, at which point I will lose optimism however the current set of charts are screaming of potential.
    Let's see what the next (just about to begin) and subsequent run or two come up before seeing any possible changes of trends. One less good run on its own is rarely to be trusted.

Agreed. I think this is a delay but with an even better outcome ultimately.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Don't look at the 06Z whatever you do!

Poor models this morning.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Don't look at the 06Z whatever you do!

Poor models this morning.

I remember from previous setups like this, that there can be significant changes even as close as 96hrs... I think this F.I thread for the next few weeks will be enter at your own risk... Good or Bad charts! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭pauldry

Met Eireann going 5 to 9c most of next week.

I think it will be borderline all week with hail and sleet sticking to make a wintry appearance

Even tomorrow nights -5c is now -2c so may not see the blood moon if its too foggy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

pauldry wrote: »
    Met Eireann going 5 to 9c most of next week.

I think it will be borderline all week with hail and sleet sticking to make a wintry appearance

Even tomorrow nights -5c is now -2c so may not see the blood moon if its too foggy.

As much as I hate to say it, being a cold/snow and heatwave man, if the issue is 50/50 with regard to cold v mild, mild wins 9/10 times.

You need the chance of cold to be 80/20 to even the odds :)

gfs-0-228.png?18

GFS 18Z

Out in mid FI, 10 days away, hints of Atlantic blocking.

gfs-0-240.png?18

More pronounced at 10 days.

ECM1-240.GIF?19-0

ECM remarkably similar at 10 days.. GFS better heights over Greenland.

Possibly both models showing signs of the negative NAO forecast at the end of the month?

Posted some in the FI thread. GFS 18Z really getting going at the end of the month..

gfs-0-288.png?18

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looks like the couple of milder days at the end of the week will be brief with a colder air mass again moving down from the N / NW into the early days of next week.

ECM, GFS and GEM all similar. Nothing too stand out but similar to the coming couple of days with a wintry mix looks most likely to me.

mK5gLKf.png

KhCgiyt.png

SF3jP8B.png

GFS 06z seems to be showing a NE'rly now, but its pushing into the start of Feb. Cold constantly being pushed back it seems.

06_360_ukthickness850.png.f7c81de3ff2c1f98cae76afb1f31205a.png

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

GFS 06z seems to be showing a NE'rly now, but its pushing into the start of Feb. Cold constantly being pushed back it seems.

06_360_ukthickness850.png.f7c81de3ff2c1f98cae76afb1f31205a.png

Not even worth looking at ..

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Not even worth looking at ..

Yep but hey, what else is a FI thread for if not to be heartbroken on the next run :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Yep but hey, what else is a FI thread for if not to be heartbroken on the next run :p

FI charts in a FI thread. What were you thinking?!

Anyway met office uk outlook still looks wintry from the north/north east the week after this. Let’s hope we can get in on the action.

Alas, its time for more proof that the models are pretty much drunk all the time.

Icon 0z:
    E100C170-46E4-4016-80F6-4590628024E9.png.56436d867d2bf1c670f88d3f475b537f.png

Icon 12z:
    37FB1A09-3EE7-4AAD-8C10-189E126A0C02.png.2473f5e407ef8a5967b20499334e6538.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Billcarson

A northerly for next weekend the next hunt for cold and snow. Bet the models will firm up on this during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Northerly for this day week, uppers a little dodgy Edit they improve 9zqfqa.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It does seem that way. THE UKMO in their latest long range update yet again push back the date of the arrival of snowy cold weather. If by this time next week they are talking about the middle to end of February for it to arrive, I give up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

It does seem that way. THE UKMO in their latest long range update yet again push back the date of the arrival of snowy cold weather. If by this time next week they are talking about the middle to end of February for it to arrive, I give up!

Remember that last year we had 2 metre snowdrifts on the first of March. I won't be losing any sleep if the weather is mild but won't be losing hope for snow until near Paddy's day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement