Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getcover.ie Travel Insurance Corona Virus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Just seen on Irish Times there is no cover for any travel disruption due to Corona.

That isn't true in all cases. Some policies exclude pandemic, others do not.

It's definitely the case that any new policy you take out will not cover you but the article you linked to says 'some insurers....'.

For existing policies, read the terms and conditions i.e. the policy document.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭k123456

Unfortunately , my "premium" policy with Multiptrip, which was purchased last year

from the Policy TCS

says

General Exclusions
    Applicable to All Sections of the Cover under this Cover
    We will not pay for claims arising directly or indirectly from:

9. Your travel to a country or specific area or event to which the Travel Advice Unit of the
    Department of Foreign Affairs*or the World Health Organisation (WHO) or similar body
    has advised against all or all but essential travel.

In my case, I have booked flights and accom to Spain for May,

assuming there is a directive in place in May , saying from DFA advised against all or all but essential travel., I would read that as no cover .
    Am I correct

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

k123456 wrote: »
    General Exclusions
    Applicable to All Sections of the Cover under this Cover
    We will not pay for claims arising directly or indirectly from:

9. Your travel to a country or specific area or event to which the Travel Advice Unit of the
    Department of Foreign Affairs*or the World Health Organisation (WHO) or similar body
    has advised against all or all but essential travel.

In my case, I have booked flights and accom to Spain for May,

assuming there is a directive in place in May , saying from DFA advised against all or all but essential travel., I would read that as no cover .
    Am I correct

I think you might be misreading the policy. It's likely that that is the section which outlines the cover you have when you get to your destination i.e. medical and accident cover. It's telling you that you won't have that cover if you decide to travel to one of those countries i.e. you disregard the DFA advice not to go there.

Go back and read the Ts & Cs and you'll probably find that that exclusion does not apply in the case of cover for cancellation and/or curtailment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I'd agree. It sounds like you're misreading the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭k123456

Ok Thanks Folks, , think I was misreading

• Advertisement
Advertisement