Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insuring electric converted classic car

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

unkel wrote: »
    Damien Maguire bought a BMW 3-series and converted it to EV, total spent under a grand
    This is achievable going the most environmentally friendly route by re-using a lot of components including the motor :cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

is it a kit car..or a real(teary eyes) e-type...??

Real E-type. Made by Jaguar itself. The one Harry drove is the first one, the prototype, but Jaguar will start production of the "E-type Zero" and you can order one for delivery in 2020. Yours for about GBP300k

Seweryn wrote: »
    This is achievable going the most environmentally friendly route by re-using a lot of components including the motor :cool:.

And the car was end of life with something like 350k miles on the engine that would barely run. Reduce (no more using diesel), re-use (the car itself) and recycle (the motor, the batteries, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

And the car was end of life with something like 350k miles on the engine that would barely run. Reduce (no more using diesel), re-use (the car itself) and recycle (the motor, the batteries, etc.)
    Yeah, sounds like an ultimate pro-environment movement. Should he be awarded by our government for commitment towards reducing global CO2 emissions? Ah...,no, we have a scheme that allows scrapping a good car and getting a discount when buying another one (yest, this is legal).
    Madness...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

And the car was end of life with something like 350k miles on the engine that would barely run.
    I'm sure there was an E-type somewhere with a decent engine whose body and chassis were end of life!
    Yeah, sounds like an ultimate pro-environment movement. Should he be awarded by our government for commitment towards reducing global CO2 emissions? Ah...,no, we have a scheme that allows scrapping a good car and getting a discount when buying another one (yest, this is legal).
    Madness...
    But yeah, our government standing by while perfect 15-20 year old cars are scrapped for no reason other than appeasing the motor trade and filling he coffers is a disgrace. And environmentally bollox.

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    But yeah, our government standing by while perfect 15-20 year old cars are scrapped for no reason other than appeasing the motor trade and filling he coffers is a disgrace. And environmentally bollox.

Couldn't agree more. What's the worst is that almost always a perfectly fine elderly petrol car was scrapped and replaced with a cancer causing brand new diesel :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Thats just wrong on so many levels...is it a kit car..or a real(teary eyes) e-type...??

c'mon, it's not like you got the hacksaw to an XKss ?

RKO8jfY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Aston Martin are making "reversible" leccy conversions for older Astons :

https://media.astonmartin.com/aston-martin-works-create-first-reversible-ev-powertrain-concept/

05 December 2018, Newport Pagnell: With interest in classic cars growing every year and values of heritage models at an all time high, Aston Martin Lagonda has pioneered a bold new plan: to future-proof these increasingly precious machines by creating the world’s first reversible EV powertrain conversion.

I should have added that Jaguar can also revert the E-type back to petrol easily enough. Not that any owner would ever want that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I should have added that Jaguar can also revert the E-type back to petrol easily enough. Not that any owner would ever want that though.

One gets one's oily handed employee to perform the task......:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

No, that is not true. The efficiency of generating power in a power plant is comparable with efficiency of a Diesel engine. Then you need to ad on the loses with transforming electricity and transporting it through the grid, etc.

Let's focus on driving experience so. I love electric engines and electric drives for a few reasons. Electric motors are the most suitable type of engines to move a car. They don't need gearboxes, have about one moving part so are very simple and convert about 90% of electricity into motion with excellent torque characteristics. They are also very quiet.

Good luck with the project.

I know that this will probably be unseen but Seweryn, you are incredibly misinformed on EVs, and generation. I have a classic car myself, and dont particularly want an EV any time soon, but your spreading of misinformation is incredible. To start, the efficiency of a diesel engine is approximately 30-35%. similar to a coal plant. But, the modern world is tending away from coal. What about gas? Well the efficiency of gas turbines is approximately 62%.

Now, onto the life cycle emissions of vehicles, have a read of this article: https://www.transportenvironment.org/press/electric-cars-emit-less-co2-over-their-lifetime-diesels-even-when-powered-dirtiest-electricity

The summary of the study discusssed in the article can be found here:
    https://www.transportenvironment.org/sites/te/files/publications/2017_10_EV_LCA_briefing_final.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Just watched this fulvia's transformation on vintage voltage and although not for me it looks like an excellent conversion. Best of luck with it OP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Dades wrote: »

I was standing looking at an 'abandoned' 03 S-Class (petrol, air suspension) only last week and thought what a waste. The only reason it got 'abandoned' is because PSV wouldn't pass it due to it's age.

What a complete toss up - that car cost as much as a house at one point - and chucking it in the bin is an affront to anyone with a bit of decency on 'waste'.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle my Ar4e. The GP pay only lip service to it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement