Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insuring electric converted classic car

• 03-12-2018 6:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Has anyone done an electric conversion on a classic car (in my case I'm considering an old Lancia)? Are there any good savings to be had on insuring such a car, or does it tend to cost the same as all other classic cars? If deals are to be found, which insurance companies did you find to be good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

s_o_s wrote: »
    Has anyone done an electric conversion on a classic car (in my case I'm considering an old Lancia)? Are there any good savings to be had on insuring such a car, or does it tend to cost the same as all other classic cars? If deals are to be found, which insurance companies did you find to be good?

I'd actually imagine it would cost more.
    What lancia are you going to convert?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

This is the maddest thread I've seen in a while. I'll follow with great interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I thought classics were already cheap to insure, am I wrong?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Electric vehicle doesn't change the cost of insurance. As mentioned, it will probably be more expensive, but classics are cheap enough anyway. I assume you've looked into the full EV conversion? I was going to do it a few years ago, but it can get very expensive very quickly and without a guarantee of it working in a few years. I'd love to do it however!

These guys do some really nice work.

https://www.electricclassiccars.co.uk/

Although I think if you can afford to make a classic electric then the cost of insurance isn't something you think about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I'm more concerned with fitting a decent heater that will clear the windscreen tbh.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 s_o_s

kev1.3s, it's a 1973 Lancia Fulvia coupe. Lovely little thing.

Effects, those are the guys I'm talking to about it! They really seem to know what they're doing. Classics are cheap to insure, but I'm wondering if doing the conversion changes that for any reason - it's not really the same car after the conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Effects, those are the guys I'm talking to about it! They really seem to know what they're doing. Classics are cheap to insure, but I'm wondering if doing the conversion changes that for any reason - it's not really the same car after the conversion.

To convert a Fulvia to ev would be, imho, a travesty. My 0.02.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    To convert a Fulvia to ev would be, imho, a travesty. My 0.02.

Fair point :-) It's a great little machine, but I've decided to not drive fossil fuel cars again, and the idea of having an utterly unique Fulvia really appeals to me.

I'm not buying into this clean energy atm ....maybe if i have to go electric i will , but i'll be probably long gone by then..V8 rule...:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Fair point :-) It's a great little machine, but I've decided to not drive fossil fuel cars again, and the idea of having an utterly unique Fulvia really appeals to me.
    Great idea. However no matter how we change the drive train we will still use fossil fuels to power our vehicles regardless of what's under the bonnet.

I would worry about getting the car ready for the conversion and then getting it converted properly. Apart from huge cost it will be quite labour intensive to get it done right. Good luck with it anyway ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

what on earth would be the point? If you want an EV , buy an EV. If you want a classic, buy a classic.
    Converting one to the other would be destroying the whole point of having a classic

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

As Robert Kennedy said 'Some look and ask why others look and say why not'.

Heard of a Cork GP with one, haven't seen it.

I have a fulvia coupe and the little V4 is a cracker dont think it be all that bothered with it without the engine tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

Hard to see how it would be legal to drive at all - essentially a home made car - depending on the donor car you would need major brakes, suspensions upgrades ?
    Don't forget the battery packs have thermal and charging control to prevent fires....

Battery packs are heavy so need careful thought on placement ...

I guess its a bit like dropping a 'v8' into 60 fords - there are lots of them about .... but how do you answer the insurance questions about any non standard mods ?

Anyway, 'funny' video about a classic project here....
    https://hackaday.com/2018/12/03/fail-of-the-week-how-not-to-electric-vehicle/

Seweryn wrote: »
    Great idea. However no matter how we change the drive train we will still use fossil fuels to power our vehicles regardless of what's under the bonnet.....

To be accurate, a power station converts far, far more fuel to energy than a car's combustion engine, so an electric car is still much cleaner than any petrol or diesel car, even if the power comes from coal or peat. But I'm more focused on the driving experience than anything else.

Great idea. However no matter how we change the drive train we will still use fossil fuels to power our vehicles regardless of what's under the bonnet.

Plenty of people use PV panels to charge their cars. And a lot of the electricity produced on the grid is renewable. That's in opposition to ICE cars that use 100% fossil fuels.

Isambard wrote: »
    what on earth would be the point? If you want an EV , buy an EV. If you want a classic, buy a classic.
    Converting one to the other would be destroying the whole point of having a classic

The point is you can have both.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭irshmerc

Effects wrote: »
    These guys do some really nice work.

https://www.electricclassiccars.co.uk/

Although I think if you can afford to make a classic electric then the cost of insurance isn't something you think about.

These fellas have some nice motors alright, i was foolish enough to ask for a quote for a bmw 2002, 40k upwards, i took it no further.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

However no matter how we change the drive train we will still use fossil fuels to power our vehicles

Less and less so. Electric cars are typically charged at night (at the cheap 8c/kWh night rate) and the past few weeks about 50% of all electricity produced at night in Ireland was renewable (wind)

This percentage will keep increasing and should reach 100% within a decade or so. Day or night.

• Advertisement

To be accurate, a power station converts far, far more fuel to energy than a car's combustion engine, so an electric car is still much cleaner than any petrol or diesel car, even if the power comes from coal or peat. But I'm more focused on the driving experience than anything else.
    No, that is not true. The efficiency of generating power in a power plant is comparable with efficiency of a Diesel engine. Then you need to ad on the loses with transforming electricity and transporting it through the grid, etc.

Let's focus on driving experience so. I love electric engines and electric drives for a few reasons. Electric motors are the most suitable type of engines to move a car. They don't need gearboxes, have about one moving part so are very simple and convert about 90% of electricity into motion with excellent torque characteristics. They are also very quiet.

Good luck with the project.

Plenty of people use PV panels to charge their cars. And a lot of the electricity produced on the grid is renewable. That's in opposition to ICE cars that use 100% fossil fuels.
    Sorry, but there is no such thing as "renewable energy". Solar panels and wind mills only exist and will exist because we use fossil fuels to power our industrial world.

unkel wrote: »
    Less and less so. Electric cars are typically charged at night (at the cheap 8c/kWh night rate) and the past few weeks about 50% of all electricity produced at night in Ireland was renewable (wind)

This percentage will keep increasing and should reach 100% within a decade or so. Day or night.
    :D . Not sure who is generating the news you have been reading... :pac:

Wind mills do not generate net energy and are pure scam, wake up folks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Isambard wrote: »
    The point is you can have both.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJLdzRJdKrs
    Not buying that!

The expression "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck" is fitting here.

Sure it looks like a duck, but it doesn't really swim like a duck and it sure as hell doesn't quack like a duck.
    A classic body is only one part of what make a car classic. That 911 has been lobotomised.

I'm not against the idea of throwing an electric motor into a classic body. To each their own, just not for me. I'd think it more fitting in classics where the powerplant itself wasn't a key part of what makes that car desirable. Something like a 2CV or a Karman Ghia.

Making an EV out of a Ferrari 308, or, I have to say it, a Lancia Fulvia - makes me a little sad. The soul dies when the car is silenced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

I thought that there was more and more eoth in my petrol every year ?

I thought that there was more and more eoth in my petrol every year ?
    That's even worse TBH. It takes more energy (from fossil fuels) to produce that stuff than we get out of it when we finally burn it in our engines.

It goes without saying that battery power is far more efficient than petrol and getting better every day but the real reason I like classic cars is for the sights, sounds and smells as well as a little bit of tinkering.
    I've no problem with electric power in cars but purely for its practical side, if I could afford one I'd have a tesla for the week and use the lancia at the weekend.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    It goes without saying that battery power is far more efficient than petrol and getting better every day but the real reason I like classic cars is for the sights, sounds and smells as well as a little bit of tinkering.
    I've no problem with electric power in cars but purely for its practical side, if I could afford one I'd have a tesla for the week and use the lancia at the weekend.

That's the plan - a Model X for the family, the Lancia for me. However the tinkering side of things is not what I enjoy (my father does, he has about 20 classic Lancia's that he's rebuilt himself over the years), so if I can get most of the fun but without needing to find a new part every few months I'll be plenty happy

Until they produce a car, that in its construction had zero effect on the environment i'll stay on the (electric) fence....cant make an omlette etc...:P

• Advertisement

Until they produce a car, that in its construction had zero effect on the environment i'll stay on the (electric) fence....cant make an omlette etc...:P
    Touché subject there :D.

The process of making just batteries for a Tesla vehicle has the same impact on environment as about 7 years of driving a petrol engined car (we are talking about batteries only). Then after about 7 or so years the batteries are getting weaker by loosing their capacity and may need to be replaced. And... how do we recycle the old batteries (never mind making new ones)?

Obviously nobody will tell you that, they just wrap it all in green paper and sell to the masses.

Advertisement