Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Smash Brothers Ultimate

• 04-11-2018 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭

So we know that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will be getting 5 DLC fighter packs, they'll be rolling out next year through to February 2020. I thought it would be fun to see if we can predict who the 5 characters will be and we can look back on this when they are announced to see of we got any right. I'll go first, in no particular order:

• Chun-Li from Street Fighter
    • New Pokemon character from the upcoming main game next year, this to me is nailed on
    • Minecraft character, possibly Steve and Alex as an alternative
    • Skull Kid. Someone from Zelda anyway
    • Banjo Kazooie, you never know, I changed my mind at the last second, from Waluigi to them.

I feel like Ubisoft deserve some recognition for being Nintendo's best 3rd party supporter for the past decade at least. And they've made exclusives. They stood by Nintendo, when most others left during the hard times. I might swap Rayman(with possibly Rabbids support) for Waluigi.

Though you never know with Sakurai, he's let his personal friendships influence choices in the past, so he could well pick for example another Square Enix character, even though I personally don't believe they deserve any recognition. There's also a possibility of Banjo Kazooie being added. Microsoft getting the bulk of the DLC fee might help persuade them to let it happen. Waluigi and Rayman would be my other 2 wildcards. Actually, Banjo Kazooie is probably more likely than Waluigi. Waluigi, if people want him, then Sakurai might make them at least pay for all the harassment to get their wish. Or Sakurai could stay local and pick Japanese companies and characters like Geno and Goku. All the characters in SSB are owned by Japanese companies. Sorry, this might seem a bit jumbled, as I changed a vote at the last second.

So who do you think will make the cut? Pick your 5 and place other possibilities below.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I'm thinking/hoping

1: Banjo
    2: A rabbid of some description
    3: Springman (That's a long shot)
    4: Crash (a longer shot)
    5: Tails

And would not be surprised if none of these prove correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Not walugi anyway, they put in a feckin plant in, instead of him, a plant like. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I'm thinking/hoping

2: A rabbid of some description
    3: Springman (That's a long shot)
    4: Crash (a longer shot)
    5: Tails

And would not be surprised if none of these prove correct.

Tails is a good call, definitely has a chance of happening. Spring Man, can't see that happening, he's an Assist Trophy in the game. I wouldn't like to see Crash or Spyro for that matter in Smash Bros.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

sligeach wrote: »
    Tails is a good call, definitely has a chance of happening. Spring Man, can't see that happening, he's an Assist Trophy in the game. I wouldn't like to see Crash or Spyro for that matter in Smash Bros.

Forgot about the Springman assist trophy. That probably rules him out alright.
    I'd like Crash in the game. Love the old games and i think he'd fit in nicely with the roster. Spyro i could take or leave. Only ever played a demo disk version of the first game back in the day so I've no major nostalgia attached to the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I'm thinking/hoping

Aw shucks.
    They asked, but I'm a lover not a fighter. They have my permission to use my likeness in Super Smooch Bros though, paperwork is signed.

I'm gonna go
    Octoling
    Wapeach or Wadaisy or some other made up bull**** that really rubs Waluigi's nose in it.
    Birdo, if she's not already on the list.
    That singing chick from Odyssey. Or the wierd Bowser girl who a guy at work keeps wanting to show me. Because girl power!
    Dizzy. It's time for his come-back! Or Clyde Radcliffe. If Piranha Plant gets a fighter, everyone gets a fighter!
    Wait, is Shovel Knight in it already? Shovel Knight! Hollow Knight! Knightmare from Soul Calibre! Call the pack Knight Fever! Job done!

• Advertisement

Shovel Knight is already an Assist Trophy. Another fighter I've thought of is Ms. Pac-Man. Bandai Namco are helping to develop SSBU, so they may get another character in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Shovel Knight is already an Assist Trophy. Another fighter I've thought of is Ms. Pac-Man. Bandai Namco are helping to develop SSBU, so they may get another character in the game.

Isn't Pac Man an assist as well, or at the very least a stage?

chrislad wrote: »
    Isn't Pac Man an assist as well, or at the very least a stage?

Pac-Man is a fighter in SSBU.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

1. Steve (Minecraft)
    2. Erdrick/Slime(Dragon Quest)
    3. Elma (Fire Emblem)
    4. Heihachi (Tekken)
    5. Twintelle (ARMS)

Twintelle was already briefly shown as a Spirit in Smash, so don't know if that already rules her out. A personal favourite would be Wonder-Red from W101, that'd be an instant buy. Skull Kid could have a chance as well. I think a good chunk of the characters will be ones that'll be hard to guess I think. Not too gone on the whole 'Geno' thing, Ridley and K Rool were much better 'fan' characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Banjo wrote: »
    Aw shucks.
    They asked, but I'm a lover not a fighter. They have my permission to use my likeness in Super Smooch Bros though, paperwork is signed.

Dizzy. It's time for his come-back!

So you want in on the Waluigi Dating Sim?

As for Dizzy, I definitely wouldn't pick him as my fighter. I would get stuck on the second screen, jump and roll into fire/water/off the side.

It is strange there are no western developed characters in here. Didn't they say they already have the 5 picked and it's just going to take time?

Viewtiful Joe is a possibility
    A Resident Evil rep
    Amaterasu with Chibiterasu as a Spirit ahead of Okamiden release on Switch.

• Advertisement

Pac-Man is a fighter in SSBU.

Thanks, couldn't remember. My last proper Smash was Melee, and I had the recent 3DS version, but it's been a while. Ms Pac Man as an echo fighter then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Len_007

The Dark Knight Himself, interchangeable with Billionaire Bruce Wayne. 3D Model provided by Rocksteady yeh

Len_007 wrote: »
    The Dark Knight Himself, interchangeable with Billionaire Bruce Wayne. 3D Model provided by Rocksteady yeh

Not a chance of happening. If you know Smash Bros., you'll realise why. It's the same reason why Homer Simpson or Mickey Mouse have the same probability.

The 5 DLC characters, it would appear, have already been selected.

SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE'S DLC LINEUP IS COMPLETE, SAYS SAKURAI

https://gonintendo.com/stories/322100-smash-bros-ultimate-s-dlc-lineup-is-complete-says-sakurai

I hear Trigger's Broom is on the list for inclusion as a DLC fighter. Why not after a generic plant that has the personality of a brick made the list?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAh8HryVaeY

Why not? After Piranha Plant's inclusion, which was daft as a brush, bringing back TB will seem like a clean sweep. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,442 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Lets recycle this thread to discuss SSBU (I can't see a dedicated thread)

The review embargo is up as of 10 minutes ago.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/super-smash-bros-ultimate

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

So where is everyone buying this?

Smyths I think have it for 60. Cant find anything about it on other sites.

Nintendo have it for around 54 on the south african e-shop which seems the best.

rejkin wrote: »
    So where is everyone buying this?

Smyths I think have it for 60. Cant find anything about it on other sites.

Nintendo have it for around 54 on the south african e-shop which seems the best.

I picked up my digital copy from SA last week, and I got a physical copy for my son for Christmas from GameStop with their trade in two games and get it for a euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

I pre-ordered from Smyths last week and got €5 discount if I collect it in store, so it's €55. I'm not sure that offer is still available though.

Do you think Smyths might do a midnight launch for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Never really played a Smash game before but seeing all the talk of how good the single player experience is, suddenly has me interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,442 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I pre-ordered from Smyths last week and got €5 discount if I collect it in store, so it's €55. I'm not sure that offer is still available though.

Do you think Smyths might do a midnight launch for this?

That offer is not available any more.

I checked Smyths twitter account and there is no mention of a midnight launch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

Mr E wrote: »
    That offer is not available any more.

I checked Smyths twitter account and there is no mention of a midnight launch.

Yeah I just had the same idea to check it, that's a shame! I'll have to wait until tomorrow after work to collect it.

Ended up getting it on the eshop.
    Downloading right now 😀

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Got it on the eshop myself, €52 from the SA store.
    I've years to get a physical copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I said I wouldn't... Then caved... Now the waiting game!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭eigenboggle

If you purchase through the SA store can you still play online here as normal? I was planning on a trek to Smyths in the morning but would go online if it works with nintendo online purchased through the eshop here?

If you purchase through the SA store can you still play online here as normal? I was planning on a trek to Smyths in the morning but would go online if it works with nintendo online purchased through the eshop here?

Never had an issue with online,games are region free so never should be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Someone talk me out of buying this. I'm never going to play multi-player locally, I've never played a game in the series before and yet my finger is hovering over the buy it now button.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Someone talk me out of buying this. I'm never going to play multi-player locally, I've never played a game in the series before and yet my finger is hovering over the buy it now button.

Just click that button.

It's live right now....

Satoru Iwata would have celebrated his 59th birthday today. I've been thinking, would it be appropriate for Iwata as a fighter in SSBU? Nintendo will be making announcements at The Game Awards in a few hours time, I don't think they acknowledged his birthday today, you never know.

There's more though, sometimes hints are dropped and people don't realise it, like Luigi in the Smash Bros Ultimate trailer and then Luigi’s Mansion 3 was announced a short while later. Sakurai had a fan-made unofficial amiibo crafted, maybe it's a precursor to an Iwata amiibo. It would be a nice way to immortalise him.

https://kotaku.com/smash-bros-creator-masahiro-sakurai-gets-his-own-unof-1830868707

And remember the trailer of Reggie and Iwata for Smash Bros on Wii U during E3 2014.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=zORCMyiJ-bg

Sure he was a Miiverse fighter then, he could be upgraded.

Or, as an aside, remember Nonspecific Action Figure? Nothing ever came of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Just impulsively bought this about 10 to 12 thinking I'd be playin shortly after 12:) 4 hours 21 minutes remaining:p

Advertisement