Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Names

Options
  • 06-01-2014 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭

I hear people giving this current stormy weather a name ( Christine ) , do these storms get named ? . I don't remember any other years where they were named other than the great storm of ( insert year here ) .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Free University of Berlin names all areas of low and high pressure in Europe since the 1950's. It's just something the media has started to latch onto recently because it sounds more dramatic when there is a name, thats all.

Prognose_20140103.gif

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Having been in NYC and Boston a couple of days ago I can definitely relate to the drama element. News outlet were really pushing Hercules. Almost giving it a personality.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Free University of Berlin names all areas of low and high pressure in Europe since the 1950's.

...and charge for it. AFAIK, an area of high pressure costs more to name than a low pressure/storm system.

Tenger wrote: »
    Having been in NYC and Boston a couple of days ago I can definitely relate to the drama element. News outlet were really pushing Hercules. Almost giving it a personality.

The winter storm names in the US are a recent invention by The Weather Channel over there.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    ...and charge for it. AFAIK, an area of high pressure costs more to name than a low pressure/storm system.

Thats just a more recent thing. Its a way of generating funding for the students by giving the people who donate a moment of "fame".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

" Free University of Berlin names all areas of low and high pressure in Europe since the 1950's. It's just something the media has started to latch onto recently because it sounds more dramatic when there is a name, thats all."

Not according to The Irish Independent -

"TV3 weatherman Deric Hartigan first coined the name of the storm"

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/storm-christine-en-route-to-ireland-29887508.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

vicwatson wrote: »
    " Not according to The Irish Independent -

"TV3 weatherman Deric Hartigan first coined the name of the storm"l

I'd say they are in error, or rather, that Deric was the first weather man to pick up on the storm's name [rather than actually name it].

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

But the Indo are still using "Christine" yet the map above is showing the storm name as "Christina" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Yeah whatever about those storms , i got a proper CYCLONE named after me!! :D:D:D

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/20624862/cyclone-warning-for-tonga-cancelled/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I'm a bit disappointed that my tropical storm last year didn't have the decency to turn into a hurricane. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement