Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gaming Freebies and Trades (trade steam, origin, etc. keys here)

• 03-03-2013 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Hey,

Have Need for Speed Shift 2:Unleashed, Shift 1 & Undercover codes that can be redeemed on Steam.

Anyone interested in trading? Mainly interested in Arma 2/combined operations or add ons.

*Bought Arma 2: Complete Collection*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,445 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Let's try this out for a bit, since people think the freebies are polluting the bargain alert thread.
    Rules

Your account must be at least a month old and have 50 posts to request a freebie here. The onus is shared between the giver (not to give) and the requester (not to ask).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Lets just hope this doesn't go the way of NeoGaf and the likes, where lurkers and the same few always online vultures snap up 90% of codes.

The problem with these threads is you get a lot of bumming(from the same people, or new users), when the main purpose should be sharing between regular/long term Boards users.

Maybe apply some rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,445 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Shoot, Gilberto. Open to suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Mr E wrote: »

Why don't people then Post which/what games they have to give away or want to give away.
    Set a limit of response for applicants at 2 days.
    Maybe applicants give a quick reason why they want the game or would like to play,
    At the end, re-edit the post - highlighting in BOLD who you chose and why (if you like).
    Oh, and "Exclude" DOTA 2, everyone has this, or can have this if they want.

The only gift I have, If anyone is interested...is a copy of DEFCON - on STEAM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

100 post minimum posts to stop new users just coming for the codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Nolars wrote: »
    100 post minimum posts to stop new users just coming for the codes.

1000 post minimum to be honest...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I suppose really its up to the person giving the game away as to who they want to give it to whether thats a new poster, a beggar or long time user it.

Ill only be giving away codes to regulars on this forum if i have any to give away in future though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I assume this stretches to cover codes for xbox or ps3 games aswell if applicable.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

o1s1n wrote: »
    1000 post minimum to be honest...:pac:

25,000 post minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Been done before here, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056681879 so its not really new. There was one lad who took the piss a fair few weeks back asking everyone for loads of things. That's why I didn't want to see it clutter up the bargains thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I would suggest the donor's discretion. If they want to state criteria for giving a code away, then let them.

Like I've a Metro 2033 code to give away now that will go to someone with a minimum of 100 posts and regular within Gaming/consoles forum.

PM only

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Only allowed one code per month.
    No unsolicited PMs to the poster.
    User for 1 year with min post count.

Mr E wrote: »

From experience (long time member of NeoGaf, CAG etc.) which have a few of these threads, this is what I propose to make it fair. Consider them if you want.

I understand that the person giving out the code can do what they want with it, but I think NEVER paste codes into posts. This leads to lurkers (this thread will eventually get them once it becomes more known, with many being from outside ireland, just subbing to it for the codes) getting them over genuine forum users, and most wont ever say thanks or notify that they got it.

Use the "first to quote gets the code" method for giving out codes. here's why I think so. It lets you see when a user is a new user or rarely posts in the games section and the likes. Also it lets you see if it happens to be that the same one or two people are always getting the codes. Yes, it leads to lots of bumping in this thread, but it will always be active and just unsub if you dont want the notifications. First to PM can lead to the same few greedy trigger finger people farming up the codes all the time.

Users only signed up longer than 9 months/more than 500 posts for example may get a code.

No begging posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Just to say I'm not a regular anywhere to be fair but i wouldn't pull the pi$$ either- that being said i have a Gears Of War code for the 360 if anyone is interested.

I suppose PM only

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I'd suggest not letting this thread have too many posts. That won't deter lurkers but it should help limit them by not having the thread easily pop up in search engines.
    e.g Poster mentions what game he has and once it's done and dusted the posts are deleted.
    I realise if we're to do some sort of tally system then that might be a problem.

Other than that it all get's rather complicated. If you go for a give and get system do prices come into it? If somebody posts a key to Black Ops II is it enough to reciprocate that with a key to a €2.50 game? Should we have a value system or should we just leave it work on good faith alone.

Personally, I think it should be up to the poster decide and cost or how many times you've given shouldn't come into it as long as you do give something back and aren't a blatant leecher.

Just suggestions.
    (vague ones.:o)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

would it be worthwhile sticking steamkey trades into this too?

I've got 2 decent titles sitting in my library with no home to go to, XCOM and CIV 5 :)

There was one lad who took the piss a fair few weeks back asking everyone for loads of things.

And it was found that he had a steam list of list of 51 UNPLAYED games!!! on his steam account, and wanted more for free. His excuse was, and I quote:
    Lamposts wrote: »
    hehehe. I'm hardly going to play 51 games now am I? :D

If theres a blacklist of beggars to avoid for this thread, then he deserves to go on it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Had a look at my humble bundle games and i seem to have a Warhammer 40k Dawn Of War code. Theres a small chance i my have given it away and forgotten but im pretty sure it should work.

It free to anyone with a post count over 500 and on this site for more than a year. First person to reply to this post and who meets the conditions will get it via pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

fair play to ye pablo, (already got DoW) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Not a great freebie, but I have a 50% off voucher for Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition.

The game is normally €9.99 so it will be €4.99 with the voucher.

Leave a message here if you want it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

I can understand people not wanting to have their codes snapped up by lurkers, but if someone is excluded because of arbitrary criteria, they're not as likely to offer up their own codes here, are they?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I can understand people not wanting to have their codes snapped up by lurkers, but if someone is excluded because of arbitrary criteria, they're not as likely to offer up their own codes here, are they?

I like the "first to quote this post gets it" idea someone threw out above. Stops you getting inundated with PMs and stops it getting snapped up by people who don't even use the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

If there's a minimum post quota to get freebies, I'll be proper píssed. I've given away games on here and Game Bargains is probably where I post most often. Just because someone posts multiple times a day across the site doesn't make them more entitled to a free game from individual users. If someone wants to introduce an arbitrary post quota to decide eligibility for the game they're giving away (as above) that's a different thing, but setting down a general rule isn't a good idea imo :)

I like the "first to quote this post gets it" idea someone threw out above. Stops you getting inundated with PMs and stops it getting snapped up by people who don't even use the site.
    Yeah, it makes sense. In fact, first person to quote this post can have my spare copy of Frozen Synapse. N.B. would prefer you only take it if you are familiar with the game and want to play it, rather than you just being a freebie whore :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Yeah, it makes sense. In fact, first person to quote this post can have my spare copy of Frozen Synapse. N.B. would prefer you only take it if you are familiar with the game and want to play it, rather than you just being a freebie whore :pac:
    I'll take it if you still have it - want to see what all the fuss is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

I have Tom Clancy Hawx key downloadable via Gamersgate. Not posting the code on thread due to lurkers. Please only take it if your going to play it (not like 51 game boy mentioned above). I'd prefer to give it to someone from the Gaming Bargains thread (I don't care if you were just commenting or thanking or giving the best bargain ever or anything but that thread has been good to me so prefer to offer it to someone from there). So 1st to PM me with a link to one of their posts from that thread can have it.

(Sorry I know thats really convoluted, we really need to devise a solid way to do this. Who ever thought giving away a key would be so complicated).:confused:

ionapaul wrote: »
    I'll take it if you still have it - want to see what all the fuss is about.

PM sent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

My suggestions (I'm sure to have a few free codes coming to me, thank you Humble Bundles):

- 3 month Join Date minimum. Yes, it's a long enough time, but reasonable i reckon. Gives new people a chance to get known before getting codes.
    - 100 post minimum
    - Active in the Games forums
    - First to quote gets the code (excellent suggestion as above)
    - Freeze out for someone who got a code for 1 week, ie: cannot ask for another code for a week if you have just got one
    - Remove all chat (sorry mods!)
    - Donator updates OP with person code is donated to

I reckon from that, it will be easy enough to manage and easier to spot any code-junkies. I personally won't be asking for any codes until i've offered at least 1 myself, maybe make that another criteria??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

- Freeze out for someone who got a code for 1 week, ie: cannot ask for another code for a week if you have just got one/QUOTE]

I really like that idea (I would have fallen foul of it myself but its still a great idea). Not only does it stop code-trawling by those just swooping in and back out after getting what they wanted but it forces those looking for a code to ask themselves if the game is really something they will play as they risk shutting themselves out from something they may want later on and I think I can speak for most when I say game hoarders who don't actually play the damn games piss me right off.

Advertisement