Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

RTE weather/M.E. has a chance of snow showers for tomorrow..

Tomorrow
    Tomorrow, Saturday, will be a cold day, with sunny spells and showers of rain or hail. The showers will be well-scattered in most areas, but in the south, showers will be heavy and prolonged and they might turn to sleet or snow. Maximum temperatures 5 to 8 Celsius, in a moderate mainly northeast wind.

http://www.rte.ie/weather/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I'd have thought talk of snow tonight was mad but just looked at the NAE and it shows thickness at 522, dew points ranging to 2 to -3 but uppers only ranging -3 to -5. Most importantly however it shows plenty pink over the country from 6 to 9pm.... See http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=prty&HH=6&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

Still v sceptical but over high ground looks to me as though snow is v highly probable this evening.... As for low down, you can't fully rule it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

dopolahpec wrote: »
    Fat lady might be singing soon. Looks mild at end of GFS.
    I'd be very surprised if the GFS didn't have it turning mild in FI. The UKMO further outlook says it all - "probably turning milder next weekend....... slow to reach northern areas with a continuing risk of snow" - so a lot of uncertainty at the moment.
    Belmullet and Malin only 4c now, that must be 5 to 6 degrees below normal for the time of year? I presume afternoon temps should be hitting 10 or thereabouts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

BbcNIweather twitter mentioned a biting Eastery next Tuesday with Snow showers and a mix of rail/hail/sleet and possible snow showers tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

In fairness it has to turn mild some day, the sun presence is very noticeable now.

• Advertisement

down to 2c in Belmullet now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Trust the mleeeedin Shannon radar to be off the air, probably be gone for the weekend

had thunder-hail here few mins ago :)

(maybe that thunder was neighbours, they are moving stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Trust the mleeeedin Shannon radar to be off the air, probably be gone for the weekend

It's back. For now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

shower of sleet about 30 minutes ago. All these cold spells are too little too late. I am prepared to wait now till next November before getting excited again, in the meanwhile I am dying for a half decent summer that does not consist of low to mid teen temps on a weekly basis with lashings of rain. Im more sick of bad summers than boring winters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Don't understand bellmullet showing 2c? I'm currently reporting 9c on both car and weather station? I'm not a million miles from bellmullet?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Ecmwf keeping it cold at 120hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭decies

Getting milder from next Thursday folks we will be grand don't worry

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Can't help myself :P

ECM at 168hrs would give blizzards for many areas of Ireland and the UK. The ECM 12z is very good for cold, with the more intense cold making over Ireland next week.

ECM snow forecasts shows the low approaching from the southwest Thursday giving a period of snow and the 12z run would increase this risk further.

ECM1-168.GIF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Can't help myself :P

ECM at 168hrs would give blizzards for many areas of Ireland and the UK. The ECM 12z is very good for cold, with the more intense cold making over Ireland next week.

ECM snow forecasts shows the low approaching from the southwest Thursday giving a period of snow and the 12z run would increase this risk further.

ECM1-168.GIF

Praying that when that Atlantic LP approaches us it elongates and drags the bitter air over Scandinavia. Need elongated LP pleasseee :rolleyes:

a couple of hundred miles further south?
    why not with such a powerful block.

ECM0-192.GIF?15-0

Haha The ECM would give astonishing snow depths in parts of the north which snow lasting for 48hrs or more! Obviously not going to happen but interesting to see the idea of taking the low further south. There is a substantial block to the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sleet shower in Sligo 3c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Yes certainly an interesting ECM, of course supported by gfs to an extent
    It now looks like the mild air will not win out and eventhough it may be marginal for snow at times there is no route back to mild for now.
    We aint a million miles away from something special and with such deep cold to our East it's certainly not too late for the white stuff

ECM Ensemble suite suggesting increased confidence of a more continental easterly flow (with lower dew-points) from Tuesday with increased risk of snow to low levels especially in the east. Thereafter the Ensemble suite struggles to bring the low pressure far north and there is potential for the cold air to row back over Ireland next weekend.

A very wintry outlook which would have the boards weather servers in melt-down if it were January.

• Advertisement

The Japanese model would have us heading for our coldest March on record if it were to occur.

Rjma1921.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

The Japanese model would have us heading for our coldest March on record if it were to occur.

Rjma1921.gif

Crazy Japanese Bast.ards

Of note, the temperature in the Irish Sea is down to 7.2c at M2. So air modification will be less than earlier in the winter, which could help to top the balance.

A nice chart at 108hrs from the 18z GFS for your evenings musing.

gfs-2-108.png?18?18

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

A nice chart at 108hrs from the 18z GFS for your evenings musing.

gfs-2-108.png?18?18

Oh you :pac:

The high to the north looks to be very significant, you'd have to say odds on it all shifting another good chunk further south in the future runs is likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Looks cold for the parades, nae will be interesting tomorrow.

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2013/03/15/basis18/ukuk/prty/13031712_2_1518.gif

Intense precipitation blob on the way for the south west

3hr-rain.gif?2218

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Wow 18z GFS upgrades mid-week potential :)

interesting to note that the coldest March of the 20th century was in 1962 and another very cold March was 1916, both of the following winters were severe. :)
    The first ramp for winter 2013/14 I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

interesting to note that the coldest March of the 20th century was in 1962 and another very cold March was 1916, both of the following winters were severe. :)
    The first ramp for winter 2013/14 I think.

251143-2012-someone-loves-his-guinness.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement