Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car insurance. How to get a cheap deal?

• 29-06-2020 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello everyone.

I have a question. For example. I still do not have a full licence. But I have a car, registered in my name. I sill did not drive it as I am not allowed to drive it as I don't have insurance on it. I want to insure it on someone who has already more than 5 years NCD and I will be as an additional driver. And I will ask the person on whom the car is insured to be next to me, when I will be driving the car. Is this theoretically possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I think you just invented fronting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Yes, it's possible, but the policyholder would need to be listed as the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 demyno

In order to be on the safe side It would be the best to get an insurance on my name, NOT driving the car for 5 years. Get 5 years NCD and then after 5 years it will be cheaper. But I will have to pay a higher price at the beginning, such as 4000 in the first year :)))))

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

demyno wrote: »
    In order to be on the safe side It would be the best to get an insurance on my name, NOT driving the car for 5 years. Get 5 years NCD and then after 5 years it will be cheaper. But I will have to pay a higher price at the beginning, such as 4000 in the first year :)))))

Why would you insure a car (for €5k) and then not drive it ?? :confused:

You don't get NCD for being a named driver on someone else's policy

You will get some recognition, yes, but probably no more than 10%.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

But if I get insurance in my own name for 4k. the next year it will be 3k, then 2k. and it will be around 1500 by the end of 5th year. I will not drive the car, so I will not spend on repairing it, will not spend on gas. but i will pay just for insurance. So it will not be as much though. But by the 5th year I will be able to get my full licence and I will have 5 years of insurance of NCD in my own name, which will be much much cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

But if I get insurance in my own name for 4k. the next year it will be 3k, then 2k. and it will be around 1500 by the end of 5th year. I will not drive the car, so I will not spend on repairing it, will not spend on gas. but i will pay just for insurance. So it will not be as much though. But by the 5th year I will be able to get my full licence and I will have 5 years of insurance of NCD in my own name, which will be much much cheaper

But why wouldn't you drive it in the meantime? You could drive it and pass your test and get cheaper insurance earlier

I would practice with an instructor, to be on the safe side, get my full licence. But I checked with a full licence it will be roughly around 2500-3000 anyway with no insurance prior to that.

That is some logic :pac: what a spectacular waste of money that will be :pac:

Go and get a full licence asap and wait the few years, the insurance won't be as sore, especially if you get someone to put you down as a named driver in the meantime - even if you don't drive their car at all.

Do you know where I can find someone who would like to take me as a named driver? Maybe there is a group on facebook or on any other website where people offer it in order to help learner drivers to get some insurance as a named driver. Definitely it would NOT be for free.

Do you know where I can find someone who would like to take me as a named driver? Maybe there is a group on facebook or on any other website where people offer it in order to help learner drivers to get some insurance as a named driver. Definitely it would NOT be for free.

Do you have any family members or friends who drive here?

Paying 5k for insurance on a car you have no intention of driving is also not free, not to mention the fact that insurers don't look kindly on cars that are laid up/not taxed/nct'd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I would practice with an instructor, to be on the safe side, get my full licence. But I checked with a full licence it will be roughly around 2500-3000 anyway with no insurance prior to that.

But you could drive your car with the instructor in the car. That what I did, I bought my car and took out insurance on it then drove it with either a driving instructor or a family member/friend with me. Then I did my test after a year. My insurance dropped a bit when I passed my test and I was building up NCB at the same time so by the time I had 5 years ncb, I also had my licence for 4 years and both things reduced my policy.

I think you need to talk to a good broker as you seem to be a bit confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

The way you describe it first your paying about 10k on insurance for 5 years driving.
    If you pass your test and pay 2500 the 1st year, in 5 years youd pay considerably less.

Put your money into getting your licence.

Advertisement