Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

septicsac wrote: »
    NCB protection is another scam invented by insurance companies. Be aware if you do take it out it is only relevant to the company you are insured with. If you have a claim, other companies will take in to account this when pricing you the following year and increase the premium to reflect this. Your current company will "protect" your no claims, but they know you really can go nowhere else, so they can still quote you what they want, it is a scandal they were are still allowed to sell it

Absolute nonsense. I wouldn't go without NCB protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I agree. When my full ncb is restored I’m getting 100% protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Got a renewal notice today 2 months early up €60 on last years price it has gone up over €100 in 2 years for no reason
    BOI insurance
    Bit of a cheek as due to covid crisis I couldn't drive the car for 2 months :-(
    Rip off

should have said 55 yo with 10+( in fact never claimed since starting to drive when i was 17 but can only claim for 10 years ) ncb current quote is €422 vw polo 1.2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,696 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Changed to the LS460 last week and my insurance renewal actually just came in today on it:

2007 Lexus LS460
    28 year old male in Tallaght
    10 years NCB
    26 year old partner also with her own car
    €920 fully comp with 123

Small bit up from last year on the 530/Scooby but it is a 4.6l so fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I agree. When my full ncb is restored I’m getting 100% protection.

Is NCB protection worth it or not? My take to date has been its an up sell, but I do prefer it when its included in a price (IOW I don't have a clue).

What is the opinion here and is it true that it can not be transferred from one company to another?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Fair play to you, belt away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

septicsac wrote: »
    Fair play to you, belt away.
    Thanks, and you should do some reading on ncb protection because what you've suggested is miles off. Good day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Thanks, and you should do some reading on ncb protection because what you've suggested is miles off. Good day

I don't want to engage in a bad tempered exchange so can I say first this is my experience and I happily accept if others have had different ones.

I had my no claims covered and had a claim. When my renewal rolled round it had doubled, I can't remember how exactly how high it went but certainly well into 4 figures. At the time I could not find any other insurer to accept me accept as someone with zero no claims. Make of this what ye will.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭CoBo55

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Is NCB protection worth it or not? My take to date has been its an up sell, but I do prefer it when its included in a price (IOW I don't have a clue).

What is the opinion here and is it true that it can not be transferred from one company to another?

I posted earlier I transferred to two different companies since I lost part of my bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Male 34,wife as 2nd driver.2010 Scirocco 170 2.0TDI
    Full licence 10+,full bonus 6+,no points

Last year fully comp 550 inc AA membership.Renewal came at 840+99 for AA.Feckin joke.My car was parked for 11weeks doing zero driving and the they increase my insurance by 75%...
    All quotes I done online as i dont have time to spend calling.Its 2020....

AIG came cheapest at 520 incl. full bonus protection wth code AIG20,2nd best 4women but only 20euro cheaper and I have bad experience with 25plus so will buy from AIG.Going to call them tomorrow to haggle to 500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Pekarirska

44 years old driving 2006 Corolla. All NCBs, no claims or points. Looking to get TPFT, homestart, towing and driving other vehicles.

Last year was €400 with 123.ie. Less €30 One4all voucher just received.
    A renawal came at €470 and a new online quote was €590. Is rewarding a loyalty a new thing?

The usual suspects:
    BOI & AIB €700+ .... bankers don't do bangers, should have known
    Liberty, Axa, Kenco, FBD & Zurich €550 - €700
    25Plus and Its4Women very close with €420

Last but also the least AIG €360 fully comprehensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Folks quick query at renewal time.

Have priced around and AIG are coming up trumps for renewal at €440/480 without/with NCB protection.

Currently with Its4women who have increased my premium over €200 for renewal but their new customer quote using a different email is €395 with NCB protection. On principle I'm tempted to tell them to GFT for trying to rip me off.

Anyone else doing good offers at the minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

PCeeeee wrote: »
    I don't want to engage in a bad tempered exchange so can I say first this is my experience and I happily accept if others have had different ones.

I had my no claims covered and had a claim. When my renewal rolled round it had doubled, I can't remember how exactly how high it went but certainly well into 4 figures. At the time I could not find any other insurer to accept me accept as someone with zero no claims. Make of this what ye will.

Exactly and my info similar to yours, but it came from insurance operator, not a broker, but someone way higher up, but hey some people know it all, let thm at it, its the usual reward you get in here for posting info that might help some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Wifes quote came in from Liberty - same as last year (which I was v. happy with - 349Euro fully comp). I may forgo the annual phone around this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Male 34,wife as 2nd driver.2010 Scirocco 170 2.0TDI
    Full licence 10+,full bonus 6+,no points

Last year fully comp 550 inc AA membership.Renewal came at 840+99 for AA.Feckin joke.My car was parked for 11weeks doing zero driving and the they increase my insurance by 75%...
    All quotes I done online as i dont have time to spend calling.Its 2020....

AIG came cheapest at 520 incl. full bonus protection wth code AIG20,2nd best 4women but only 20euro cheaper and I have bad experience with 25plus so will buy from AIG.Going to call them tomorrow to haggle to 500.

Axa rang me back and they came down to 510 wich I took and paid in full.
    Fully comp,2 drivers,glass,brakedown ,step back,400excess.Im happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fAzI

Car: 2007 audi a4 1.9 diesel
    Years driving: 10+
    claims: 0 claim last year

price and provider: 958 renewal with AXA Direct (joke!)

I check few and Bank of Ireland come with cheapest: 608€ Prestige packet (250€ excess, windscreen, emergency, step back, driving other cars)

Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Prestige.... More like poverty spec policy with a nice name attached to it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 elektrik

-Need help-
    (possibly wrong thread, my apologies)

I have a 2011 Honda Civic LHD (yes, steering wheel on the "wrong" side) insured in my name, and wife as additional driver. Price (with 9+ years NCD) for third party fire and theft is €1067. (Last year it was almost €1500 so not too bad).

Now, I'm buying a new car here in Ireland (yes, with the steering wheel on the "correct" side), but also want to keep the LHD Honda insured until I can go back to EU mainland and sell it there (I did try selling it here, no luck) - what would be my best option? :/

I understand you can't use your NCD for two cars? and my wife has just 1 year experience here in Ireland as a named driver on my policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Little Miss Fairy

Got my “invitation to renew” from its4women yesterday. Similar to last year (550). Going to shop around and start with insurance companies that gave a Covid refund. Does anyone have a list of such insurance companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭R11

Quick question - my wife is going to make a claim on her policy, scrapped side of door, need new one. She has NCB protection, renewal later this year. If AIG pull the piss and increase her premium and she decides to move insurer, does she have to tell the new insurer of the claim? It won't show on her NCB cert, it will still say 10+ years....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Got my “invitation to renew” from its4women yesterday. Similar to last year (550). Going to shop around and start with insurance companies that gave a Covid refund. Does anyone have a list of such insurance companies?

No list but AXA sent me a €30 cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

R11 wrote: »
    Quick question - my wife is going to make a claim on her policy, scrapped side of door, need new one. She has NCB protection, renewal later this year. If AIG pull the piss and increase her premium and she decides to move insurer, does she have to tell the new insurer of the claim? It won't show on her NCB cert, it will still say 10+ years....

Of course you have to declare it and the claim will be shown on the NCB certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Is this a serious question?.
    You make a claim,move insurance company, deliberately dont tell them of your claim. They could and especially with the way things are,would refuse to honor any comprehensive claimand would also chase you for any 3rd party claim that they pay out. Definitely not worth it.
    My wife made a claim last year had BP and her premium actually went down a few quid

Is this a serious question?.
    You make a claim,move insurance company, deliberately dont tell them of your claim. They could and especially with the way things are,would refuse to honor any comprehensive claimand would also chase you for any 3rd party claim that they pay out. Definitely not worth it.
    My wife made a claim last year had BP and her premium actually went down a few quid

We've never made a claim before so I don't know how these things work. But if she has NCB protection, why would it show on the cert? I'm not into making bogus claims or trying to hoodwink insurance companies. But she's just afraid that her premium will skyrocket now. If that's the case, what's the point paying of NCB protection. Guess we'll find out at renewal...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

We've never made a claim before so I don't know how these things work. But if she has NCB protection, why would it show on the cert? I'm not into making bogus claims or trying to hoodwink insurance companies. But she's just afraid that her premium will skyrocket now. If that's the case, what's the point paying of NCB protection. Guess we'll find out at renewal...

You will find out how much BP is worth if you ever have to make a claim and haven't got it. When I was renewing mrs O's policy a while ago the Las in the ins co told me if we hadn't got it the premium would have gone up bu @ €2k. Instead it came down @ €50/€60

You will find out how much BP is worth if you ever have to make a claim and haven't got it. When I was renewing mrs O's policy a while ago the Las in the ins co told me if we hadn't got it the premium would have gone up bu @ €2k. Instead it came down @ €50/€60

OK, good to hear that. Hopefully hers won't go up if she puts in this claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

Mercedes 220c AMG 2017
    Price yesterday 625 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭AutoMan79

GTI DSG 220BHP - 2016
    Age 41 - NCB over 10 years.
    FBD - Full Comp plus extras €850.

Was paying €750 for MK7 Highline 1.6TDI so I think is not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

recently because of covid we have been allowed take our work vans home (an post) ,so i drive my car in monday morning,and dont use it again until fri afternoon,so almost 4 days non use. my car is parked behind coded gates only staff can access,in a major sorting office,no public access. i rang insurance to tell them id moved address and wanted to change the details,they asked was this where car is parked overnight during the week,my new address is a rural address,and my previous was also rural,and hour between address,west of ireland.

so i told them about how its now parked up most of the week,behind coded gates,in a secure position held by a semi state company,with a lot of security. and she told me it would cost me an xtra 40+ euro to drive the car almost 60% less ,and during that time,the car is more secure than it would be when its parked at home. and they wanted xtra money off me ! needless to say i was flabbergasted and told her to check with her boss as this couldn't be right.

the xtra charge was because its not parked at my house.

said she would contact me in a day or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I wouldn't have complicated matters myself and told them that its parked at work 4 days because you got temporary use of work van.

Advertisement