Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The Nal wrote: »
    Its great value for 20 quid. So all in about 75 quid for 100s and 100s of hours of top top notch gaming.

No it's not. Compared to the base game, it's a fraction of the content. Most of it isn't new. Trial of the Sword is remixed assets, with your reward, making the Master Sword more durable and stronger. That took effort, a couple of lines of code.

Most of the costumes are useless, other than some being cosmetically nice. The Korok seed mask is good, but about a year too late. It has a few features that should have been in the game from the start. The biggest offender is the "Hero's Path". Oh it was in the game alright from the start, but deliberately withheld to charge for as DLC. Charging for the Travel Medallion was stingy too.

Even the motorcycle idea was knocking around for years before. Remember, at a GDC panel Nintendo showed off unused ideas.

https://nintendowire.com/news/2017/03/01/breath-wild-presentation-gdc-showcases-development-ideology-weird-early-concepts/

And Aonuma spoke of wanting a motorcycle in Zelda well over 2 years before BOTW released after its inclusion in MK8.

https://www.polygon.com/2014/10/16/6988517/legend-of-zeldas-aonuma-wants-links-motorcycle-in-more-games

The DLC doesn't represent value. Why do you think all these companies withhold content and charge for DLC? It's far more profitable to charge €20 for the BOTW DLC. Did we get 1/3 of the base game content? Absolutely not, it's a miniscule fraction by comparison. They don't need to worry about physical production, distribution, etc. They cream the profit. It's probably the best game ever, but some of the DLC irks me. Like how they asked people to pay before we even knew what it contained. But, hey, we got this as a bonus.
    Breath-of-the-wild-switch-shirt.jpg

We've to pay for Master Mode now, something that was free and the norm in the Zelda games prior to BOTW.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭ijohhj

sligeach wrote: »
    No it's not. Compared to the base game, it's a fraction of the content.

Very true.

MK8 and Hyrule Warriors' DLC are far, far better propositions. Haven't played Smash Ultimate. Will definitely not be pre-purchasing BotW2's DLC sight unseen.

Also yes, screw gatekeeping things we got before for free, or QoL stuff.

Haven't really bothered with master mode or the trial of the sword ... yet.

I thought the Champions Ballad was excellent.
    The way you get to revisit the world, but in a more focussed way is genius.
    It's kind of like what they did with Eventide Island.
    BOTW is my favourite game ever.
    So, it's a bargain for me.

I never felt like I've just wasted a significant portion of my life with BOTW.
    It's 100+ hours well spent. It's just always rewarding and a beautiful world to play in. And different!
    I think the only other games that felt like that to me were OOT and Super Mario 64.
    Incredible that the latter two were Nintendo leading the way; while BOTW was Nintendo passing out everyone else.

Sorry, just have a BOTW moment :):)

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So just started back into this again, remembered why I stopped playing, it’s just so easy to get stuck and overwhelmed.

It seems like I often go wandering and just find areas I can’t survive in. Too hot or meet enemies that destroy me. I googled and it’s fun once you find a quest like you can actually do at that time.

Is anyone able to finish this game without google? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

awec wrote: »
    So just started back into this again, remembered why I stopped playing, it’s just so easy to get stuck and overwhelmed.

It seems like I often go wandering and just find areas I can’t survive in. Too hot or meet enemies that destroy me. I googled and it’s fun once you find a quest like you can actually do at that time.

Is anyone able to finish this game without google? :D

I think every Zelda game requires help at some point. I remember calling around to a mate when I was playing Ocarina for help with the Water Temple. Spent 2 full days lost in there.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think what is confusing me a bit is most games put in mobs that are too strong as a way of preventing you from going somewhere too early but it’s not the case here.

Like I tried to climb a tower and it was guarded by 4 or 5 wizards and bat things that kept getting me. I was convinced I was in an area that I should have been coming to much later, but after googling it seems they want you to just keep trying and eventually you’ll get up without dying (I did anyway).

awec wrote: »
    I think what is confusing me a bit is most games put in mobs that are too strong as a way of preventing you from going somewhere too early but it’s not the case here.

Like I tried to climb a tower and it was guarded by 4 or 5 wizards and bat things that kept getting me. I was convinced I was in an area that I should have been coming to much later, but after googling it seems they want you to just keep trying and eventually you’ll get up without dying (I did anyway).

You are rarely blocked in this game. Flesh out the map by getting towers and shrines. This will build up your stamina and health. Plus you can fast travel. Look at some hints and tips videos for combat etc tips but avoid spoilers. Do the easy stuff then progress to harder bits. There is often many ways to complete a challenge. Also , take your time. This game is about the journey.

The tower you are taking about probably could be made easier with a good bow and the proper arrows ; freezing enemies ; taking then out with stealth, strategy ; moving round the tower to avoid projectiles ; having enough food for stamina ; having devine beast rewards. Or just going back when you are more skilled.

Just did another 3 shrine quests. Finally clicked and revealed them plus the shrines were great too.

16 shrines left to find.

Saw a flock of seagulls out at sea, flew into those, landed in the sea , found a load of fish.

The game that keeps giving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭ijohhj

You can also whistle to scare fish into beaching themselves. You need to be in the water, facing the coast for this to work.

• Advertisement

Signs you're playing BOTW too much.

Having a shower and imagining using stasis on the ball on the shower gel bottle

Products_458433_image_B592_3434120.jpg

Often I look at a landscape (remember those) and think that looks like something out of BOTW. I especially think horse movement in the distance is captured really well. Bokoblins on horseback canter, gallop and attack in a very realistic manner. I think the weather, sky and light is beautifully. Moonlight on water looks gorgeous. And it just goes on. It's feels totally real in its own universe.

Yep - the daily star is a well known expert on everything.
    In fact, I think it's an automatically generated click bait web site :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Impugn the Daily Star all you want, but don't you dare besmirch the gaming industry credentials or software release date prescience of hotgirlvideos69!

Banjo wrote: »
    Impugn the Daily Star all you want, but don't you dare besmirch the gaming industry credentials or software release date prescience of hotgirlvideos69!

She seems to have gotten a few things right in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

yeah, I know, I just like the absurdity of the name as a credible source.

I keep coming back here, hoping there is some actual news :)

One cool thing about the bike I discovered is that it can go down hill without fuel in it. :)
    And driving off a cliff and switching to paraglide never gets old. :)

Enjoyed the 2nd play through. Less pressure to do everything. And had forgotten about so many shrines a lot of them seemed new.

Kind of sad I'm done with it now. The "end" was basically me running up a hill and realising I've been everywhere and done everything. Just sort of stopped running, stared at the screen for 30 seconds and turned it off.

Enjoyed the 2nd play through. Less pressure to do everything. And had forgotten about so many shrines a lot of them seemed new.

Kind of sad I'm done with it now. The "end" was basically me running up a hill and realising I've been everywhere and done everything. Just sort of stopped running, stared at the screen for 30 seconds and turned it off.

Did you find all the shrines ?

• Advertisement

nintendoo wrote: »
    Did you find all the shrines ?

Yeah, first time I played it. 200+ seeds, covered nearly every inch, played most of the DLC etc. Happy with my work!

Well over 200 hours all in.

I never played Skyward Sword. May dig out the Wii.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The way Paper Mario dropped out of nowhere ready for launch bodes well for BotW2, hope we get it before Christmas.

Thargor wrote: »
    The way Paper Mario dropped out of nowhere ready for launch bodes well for BotW2, hope we get it before Christmas.

Keep dreaming! :p
    link_and_marin_on_the_beach_by_goombalink__large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

sligeach wrote: »
    Keep dreaming! :p

Don't wake the Windfish!

Will definitely see a full trailer this year I think ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Thoughts on Windbound as a stopgap measure?

Xofpod wrote: »
    Thoughts on Windbound as a stopgap measure?

It looks like they've shamelessly mixed BOTW and Wind Waker. And I'm ok with that.

It looks like they've shamelessly mixed BOTW and Wind Waker. And I'm ok with that.

Any reviews ?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xofpod

nintendoo wrote: »
    Any reviews ?

Haven't seen any yet. Multi-platform, not just a switch release though, so should see something soon.

• Advertisement

The Sandship in Breath of the Wild - 4K 60FPS

https://youtube.com/watch?v=LR9-XWtxe94
    The Sandship from Skyward Sword has appeared in the Gerudo Desert of Breath of the Wild.

Metroid Mod Gameplay - Zelda Breath of the Wild

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sqMYeRebrHY
    This is a gameplay video of the Metroid Mod for Zelda Breath of the Wild which was created by Yainskofso.

Advertisement