Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

thanks for the response!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    some advice please. ... my son (age 11) has requested all games .. Shield, Sword and Lets Go Pikachu .. they all get very mixed reviews and its getting a bit confusing!!.. I'm only willing to get him one .. which one would you recommend? thanks in advance!

Let's Go plays different from Sword or Shield but pick up Sword to be honest.
    Sword & Shield are essentially the same game bar a few differences in the pokemon that appear & one of the gyms. Don't buy him both as it's a waste. He can trade Pokemon that are in Shield with friends for free but the online mode requires a Nintendo Online subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭tbahh

I've finished the main portion of the game and I don't really feel the *need* to go back and play more. I've played every main game in the series (bar Ultra Sun/Moon as I didn't have my 3ds with me when it was released and haven't been tempted to pick it up, either)

Ever since X and Y, I feel that there's a lot less heart put into the Pokémon main game series. I noted some slight improvements in Sun and Moon as it made more of an effort to get back to the roots of what got me interested in Pokémon (travelling around, catching new Pokemon, etc) but with Sword and Shield, I felt rather dejected playing it. You would think that the better the capabilities of the console, the better the main Pokémon games would be, but it's not the case with GameFreak

Here are a few points about the games that come to mind:
    - Galar is empty. For example, there are so many hotels and all you can access is the ground floor. I love going on different sidequests in Pokémon games but there are hardly any in SWSH. Also the caves suck. I do like what they've done with the towns but there's not really much to do in them. And sure,
    Wyndon is big, as the NPCs there keep telling me but it's not like the cities in Gen 5 or 6
    - The storyline was okay, a bit generic and too much focus on dynagigantwhoreallygivesadamaxing as it's surely to be gone come next generation. I really wish they'd avoid these gimmicks as they're not needed (apart from Mega Evolutions, which I'll let pass as lots of them are quite cool)
    - I miss
    not having the Elite Four, it's cool the layout of the Champion Cup but I would have preferred to fight new people other than Leon and not a bunch of old gym leaders. I do like most of the cast, Sonia gives me some Misty vibes and Opal is a cool glam gran
    - It really needs voice acting, it feels a bit empty when talking with others as all you hear is click, click, click. All the Pokémon need to have their own sounds too, like Pikachu and Eevee
    - The wild area is fun, but very under-cooked. This game probably started development after BoTW's release and still this two-and-a-half years old game outshines SWSH. I like the 360 degree view in the wild area, why couldn't this have been done for the whole game?
    - I really enjoyed the design of the new Pokémon, especially
    Galarian Meowth and Persserker
    and I wouldn't be too surprised if
    Rillaboom
    joins the fight next year for SSBU. There are a few duds
    Coalossal and Indeedee
    , of course, but this gen has pleased me the most in recent years. Also pleased with Galarian forms branching out to other generations other than Gen 1
    - Dexit - should not have happened, it's a slap in the face for those playing over the years. i understand not putting every Pokémon in but not having the ability to trade them over is pretty sad, especially as they'll be soon stuck in Pokémon Prison Home
    -I know everyone isn't a fan of not being able to turn off EXPshare but I simply used it to have a team of like 20 Pokémon, exclusively made up of either new ones or regional forms.

It's obvious this game was rush-released for the big 2019 Nintendo game. While it is doing marvellously-well saleswise, I hope future generations will put right the wrongs of what Gen VIIi has committed. I think we're well off the real open-air Pokémon game that fans really want, probably not until Gen 10, if ever...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm playing sword now. Went with water type. It's so mad to see the fight moves vertically and i think they tell you if something is effective or not in the move!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Starting shield soon finished sword months ago am planning to get the dlc as soon as it's out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

This Hop lad is a bit of a noob

Yup just try to get through the fmvs the wild area is what it's all about

Farfetchd looks a lot angrier than i remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,990 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

[Official] "Pokemon Sword Shield Expansion Pass" promotion video(Japanese)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=MK0e03X9txs

Releases on 17th June.

Edit: English trailer now available.

Explore the Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra with the Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield Expansion Pass!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=7QZIuug-Am0

bluewolf wrote: »
    Farfetchd looks a lot angrier than i remember!

Yeah he used to be smug now very stern look

• Advertisement

Looking forward to the dlc looks a much better playtrough than the abysmal post game was.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Have they said how its going to work in terms of...do you need to start from scratch with team building, or is it balanced for Level 100 teams?

I played this a few weeks back, finished the pokedex, and got my team up to max levels. But I've also got a shiney Riolu I bred, and a tonne of level 1 guys, so I'd actually love the excuse to start afresh :P

Bit curious too if it's a stand alone here's your new team type situation good but I'm thinking it'll be gold and silver type of here's a whole new setup but you can use what you've already acquired.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

I seen the Japanese trailer, got hyped to watch the English one, then realized there was no talking in either of them :o

With the expansion having over 200 Pokemon it would be interesting if we had to start again. Party gets forced into the PC and unable to withdraw from PC on the new island until you finish the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭BurnUp78

Pokemon games really need to bring in voice acting to add some life into the world. Gym leaders, villains and player rivals would be so much more memorable if they had their own voice. Would also be nice if the player character stopped being a smiling mute for the entirety of the journey...

BurnUp78 wrote: »
    Would also be nice if the player character stopped being a smiling mute for the entirety of the journey...

Smiling and saying nothing while in a new region is probably the most realistic thing about pokemon :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Doff wrote: »
    I seen the Japanese trailer, got hyped to watch the English one, then realized there was no talking in either of them :o

With the expansion having over 200 Pokemon it would be interesting if we had to start again. Party gets forced into the PC and unable to withdraw from PC on the new island until you finish the story.

But the party is still available for max raids and if you return to the galar mainland... Think I'd like that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

How many shiny pokemon has everyone got? Think I've 4 or 5 from what I can remember, shiny Charmander from breeding (now Charizard) and then Hitmonlee and Mr Rime from battling in the wild off the top of my head.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Shiny Riolu from breeding on Sword.

After that, I've got a Virizion thats legit. He's pink and beautiful :P

I've got a hacked Celebi I got a decade ago, and an obviously hacked Jolteon and Kingdra from mystery trades.

I haven't done the raids or trades online or anything with it yet.
    Still only got a few noob pokemon. I think it's 50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

https://twitter.com/PokemonNewsUK/status/1272880764397465601
    Trainers, get ready for some Pokémon news!

Tune in tomorrow at 2 p.m. BST for #PokemonPresents!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭tbahh

CastorTroy wrote: »

Interesting that they didn't call it a Direct! Maybe an expanded look at DLC as they weren't happy with the pre-orders sales so far? They don't specifically say Sword & Shield but it would be odd not to focus on them seeing as it's their DLC release date and it's a rather monumental time for the series.

I could also see them announcing a new game like they did with Mystery Dungeon a couple of months back. Maybe Let's Go Johto! Or a Smash reveal? The ARMS character might need more development time so they've decided to up the release of Pokémon fighter!

Might also have something to do with Pokémon Go! but they don't really tend to get these types of presentations!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Anyone pick up the dlc and is it worth while ?

Story takes about 2 hours to complete, island is nice but it gets very old very fast. Enjoying it so far, but I'm already at the stage of the story where its just filling the pokedex :(

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Doff wrote: »
    Story takes about 2 hours to complete, island is nice but it gets very old very fast. Enjoying it so far, but I'm already at the stage of the story where its just filling the pokedex :(

2hours long that’s a no from me in regards to picking it up

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

It's short, but the area is really well designed IMO. Considering there's still another DLC included in the pass to be released I think it's decent value if you enjoyed the base game. If you didn't, it's probably not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

My only gripe is it's too easy to catch pokemon, 2-3 master balls easily catches full health lvl 60s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Redzer7 wrote: »
    How many shiny pokemon has everyone got? Think I've 4 or 5 from what I can remember, shiny Charmander from breeding (now Charizard) and then Hitmonlee and Mr Rime from battling in the wild off the top of my head.

A ton from breeding, greninja, embor, infernape, the 3 original starters, garados, good few others, really need to transfer them

• Registered Users Posts: 15,990 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

RUMOR: DATAMINERS DISCOVER THE FULL LIST OF RETURNING POKEMON FOR THE CROWN TUNDRA DLC

https://nintendosoup.com/rumor-dataminers-discover-the-full-list-of-returning-pokemon-for-the-crown-tundra-dlc/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Need a few more to complete the Isle of Armour pokedex if anyone can help me out, currently need;
    1. Alakazam
    2. Emolga
    3. Politoed
    4. Skrlep
    5. Draglage
    6. Clawitzer
    7. Clauncher
    8. Kingdra
    9. Porygon Z
    10. Porygon 2
    11. Zarude

Have Shield so if anyone needs anything back I can help.

Advertisement