Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryanair flight to Spain NOT cancelled but country is on lockdown

• 16-03-2020 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Ryanair still has not cancelled flights to Spain (at least my flight), but I cannot go there anywhere because of the lockdown by Spanish authorities.

Since the flight has not been officially cancelled, I cannot request a full refund (no such option on their site).
    Instead, I can only re-book it to a different desitination/date, with no re-booking fee (but will still charge me extra for luggage re-booking...).

Any idea on how to proceed?
    Ideally, I would like a full refund, but I am afraid that if I don't re-book my flight & if it's not cancelled, I will get nothing OR the dispute might take months before it's resolved....

I've tried calling them or chatting on their site, but no replies so far...

Anyone in a similar position?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Just let it go. For the sake of a few quid, you wont even notice that money this time next month and itll be forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭AnRothar

RYANAIR will not cancel flights for now as there is still traffic.
    Spaniards want to go home an Irish want to come back.

Until they are instructed to do so by Government decree or similar they will maintain some sort of schedule.

This way they do NOT have to refund you if you chose not to fly.
    Cynical maybe but....
    Any idea on how to proceed?
    Rebook as close to your scheduled departure date or take the hit.

Frying pan or fire your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

Can you not change the date ? Change it for July or August and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye change it to another time, people have until Midnight Thurs to try and come home if any ex-pats wish too, hence flights will fly both ways until that deadline has elapsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mountai

dobman88 wrote: »
    Just let it go. For the sake of a few quid, you wont even notice that money this time next month and itll be forgotten about.

Stupid response

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

mountai wrote: »
    Stupid response

:pac:

Stupid response

Worldwide global pandemic and the OP is trying to get out of paying their luggage charge. I can think of worse responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Depending on when the flight is to depart. Ryanair look like they are grounding a lot if not all of their planes. So your flight could still get cancelled. If so, you might be able to claim a refund or through your insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Stupid response

It's not, I'm in a similar position.
    Booked for 9 months, first sun holiday in 2 years but such is life.
    Bigger things to worry about now like my job.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

When is the flight ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,255 ✭✭✭✭ted1

When is your flight due to depart?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Same as you, I am supposed to fly on Saturday, well I was supposed to fly last week as well, and lost out on that, already checked in for the one this week, but need to get in touch with support to "uncheck" me so I can move the flight. Can't get through on chat or phone, so will drop out to airport and see what they can do...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

dobman88 wrote: »

i agree, this is a dumbass response.

im in the same position.im due to fly to prague on saturday but this is on their website

CZECH REPUBLIC
    Due to the impact of COVID-19 and following the decision of the Czech Republic Government to suspend air traffic to/from Czech Republic, Ryanair has been forced to suspend all flights to/from Czech Republic. All customers affected by these specific changes have been notified of their options of a full refund or a free flight time/date change.

i havent been notified

and the flight is still "scheduled".

the above imo should be a full refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

Same situation here. Departing next Saturday to a country under lockdown. Obviously they won't fly there. Just of the phone with ryanair customer service. They said that flight might be cancelled closer to departure date which will make it eligible for a refund. If not cancelled than rebooking option should remain open past departure date. As long as flight is scheduled they won't offer refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭greep

'Magic wrote:
    =);112853558']Same situation here. Departing next Saturday to a country under lockdown. Obviously they won't fly there. Just of the phone with ryanair customer service. They said that flight might be cancelled closer to departure date which will make it eligible for a refund. If not cancelled than rebooking option should remain open past departure date. As long as flight is scheduled they won't offer refund.

Thanks - good to hear.
    I understand that if you didn't check-int (& fly), you could still rebook past the departure date? Is that correct, no time limit?

Trying to get a refund on cancelled flight . Booking number is coming as "Invalid" . Anyone else experiencing this ?? . Spoke to online chat but was told same .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

greep wrote: »
    Thanks - good to hear.
    I understand that if you didn't check-int (& fly), you could still rebook past the departure date? Is that correct, no time limit?

Yes they're allowing free rebooking for March flights.

I've a similar situation for a flight on Friday to Dublin. I've checked similar flights waaaaay into the future but they're all more expensive (not a whole lot but still) as the usual 6-8 weeks deal prices haven't kicked in for them yet. At this stage I'd prefer a refund so I'm holding out for another day or two to see what happens.

"Magic wrote:
    =);112853558"]Same situation here. Departing next Saturday to a country under lockdown. Obviously they won't fly there. Just of the phone with ryanair customer service. They said that flight might be cancelled closer to departure date which will make it eligible for a refund. If not cancelled than rebooking option should remain open past departure date. As long as flight is scheduled they won't offer refund.

Im open to correction but rebooking is allowed after the departure date?how could that be?if you dont show up for your flight isnt it gone?

i agree, this is a dumbass response.

im in the same position.im due to fly to prague on saturday but this is on their website

CZECH REPUBLIC
    Due to the impact of COVID-19 and following the decision of the Czech Republic Government to suspend air traffic to/from Czech Republic, Ryanair has been forced to suspend all flights to/from Czech Republic. All customers affected by these specific changes have been notified of their options of a full refund or a free flight time/date change.

i havent been notified

and the flight is still "scheduled".

the above imo should be a full refund.

" All customers affected by these specific changes have been notified of their options of a full refund or a free flight time/date change.
    "

So they are saying you will get a full refund? Ffs, what more do you want?

" All customers affected by these specific changes have been notified of their options of a full refund or a free flight time/date change.
    "

I know but i haven't been notified and when i fill out the refund form it tells me the flight is scheduled?

• Advertisement

Do you have an anger management problem ?? . Ffs , no need for Ffs-s on this topic .

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭greep

Trying to get a refund on cancelled flight . Booking number is coming as "Invalid" . Anyone else experiencing this ?? . Spoke to online chat but was told same .

Also trying to do a refund for another flight & experienced the same problem. Booking number comes as invalid... & their chat is not responsive...

I guess we can still claim a refund at a later stage.
    Maybe their system is overloaded or... it was a deliberate decision to deter people from applying for a refund... thinking they some will forget & never try again...

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭dodgystats

greep wrote: »
    I can only re-book it to a different desitination/date, with no re-booking fee (but will still charge me extra for luggage re-booking...).
    Luggage fee is annoying - can understand a general flight change fee but why is there a fee for luggage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

Flying end March to Crete, haven't received any mails from Ryanair re refund

long_b wrote: »
    Flying end March to Crete, haven't received any mails from Ryanair re refund

You will get notification closer to departure date. I've got first email from them 7 days before.
    Im open to correction but rebooking is allowed after the departure date?how could that be?if you dont show up for your flight isnt it gone?

He actually said two things. That you could rebook after departure date but he also said that if that flight didn't leave than could be considered as cancelled so could claim the refund. What I'm going to do I'm going to wait and see. I think it's bull****.

I consider money for that flight as lost. It doesn't suit me to rebook to any future date at this stage.
    My guess is that 1day before departure date I will get notification that flight was cancelled.
    I'm only guessing but ryanair is trying to get people to rebook first rather then offer refund straight away.

And quick update. Just after midnight got sms with info about flight cancellation.

My guess some of ye have problem with claiming refund is because you're claiming for the whole booking while only one flight was cancelled. That's my case.
    If only outbound flight is cancelled then using online form you have to apply for a partial refund and fill out the details for outbound flight only. When return flight will get cancelled you can apply for refund for return flight.
    My flights are only 3 days apart so will wait till weekend and see if return flight will get cancelled too. Then will claim for both at the same time.

"Magic wrote:
    =);112857757"]And quick update. Just after midnight got sms with info about flight cancellation.

My guess some of ye have problem with claiming refund is because you're claiming for the whole booking while only one flight was cancelled. That's my case.
    If only outbound flight is cancelled then using online form you have to apply for a partial refund and fill out the details for outbound flight only. When return flight will get cancelled you can apply for refund for return flight.
    My flights are only 3 days apart so will wait till weekend and see if return flight will get cancelled too. Then will claim for both at the same time.

Thankyou for this.i got that email as well and i kept getting refused the refund because i was trying to claim for both flights.only one, the departure has been cancelled.so far.so that's the only one your allowed claim for.

Those of you waiting.you will get an email eventually to say its been cancelled etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

It's not, I'm in a similar position.
    Booked for 9 months, first sun holiday in 2 years but such is life.
    Bigger things to worry about now like my job.

It’s far more important to look after your health. You’ll always be able to work if you have your health.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

'Magic wrote:
    =);112857757']And quick update. Just after midnight got sms with info about flight cancellation.

Thanks for that Magic. This is the situation we're in atm. Our outbound flight has been cancelled, but our inbound flight is hasn't been yet. We're at the refund application form and have the option to tick "I wish to apply for a partial refund of one of the flights or for specific customers included in this flight reservation". We're just concerned that if we use our flight reservation number for the partial refund now, we might have trouble if we want to use the same flight reservation number for a second partial refund when the inbound flight inevitably gets cancelled?

Would we be better off waiting until both flights are cancelled and just request the refund in one go? Or is there some sort of time limit to claim the partial refund for our outbound flight?

Sorry, you may not have all the answers, but not even going to bother trying to get answers from Ryanair, as that's a lost cause at the best of times :P

• Advertisement

Both my flights cancelled now.Anyone having trouble actually getting the refund form to work.it keeps saying my reservation number is wrong.it definitely isn't.

Advertisement