Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thailand

• 02-03-2020 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

A few friends will be in thailand for the summer (phuket)

I can get cheap flights (1 stopover with cathay Airlines if anyone has any info) and I was thinking of heading over to meet them for a few days.

Do you think its worth it?

I Fly over on a monday and fly back following sunday (5 nights there in total)

im trying to justify it as I have done west coast of america for similar amount of stay and flight time overall is only 2 or 3 hours in the difference.

We will just be drinking, hitting the beach etc not much sightseeing (which I dont mind)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭edeldonlon

I would say go for it! Enjoy the trip. I once went for 7 days and enjoyed every minute

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

If it’s only Phuket you’ll be grand, it’s not that big a place. Long ould flight though but if you party right you’ll sleep all the way home! Bring your own sunscreen, you can get the Thai anti-mozzie stuff there, take a couple pairs of shorts, a few t-shirts, flip flops, that’s it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

You're crazy to fly that long for such little time.

Also, Phuket is the cesspit of Thailand (IMO).

TBH, if someone did this trip, i'd feel that they'd come back hating Thailand and thinking "What's the big deal".

If you're going to fly that far, take a month and visit the whole country.

Also, Thailand isin't the bargain destination it used to be (esp. Phuket). You'll spend more than in many parts of Europe (granted, the EUR has strengthened against the THB in recent weeks)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

Jaysus, he’s going on the lash for 5 days, not exploring the ethnic differences between the various hill tribes!
    JohnCleary wrote: »

TBH, if someone did this trip, i'd feel that they'd come back hating Thailand and thinking "What's the big deal".

Also, Thailand isin't the bargain destination it used to be (esp. Phuket). You'll spend more than in many parts of Europe (granted, the EUR has strengthened against the THB in recent weeks)

XMG wrote: »
    Jaysus, he’s going on the lash for 5 days, not exploring the ethnic differences between the various hill tribes!

That's my whole point. Travelling that far (could be anything up to 20 hours inc. lay-over each way) for '5 days on the lash' is crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Thanks all, My point is iv done Vegas 4 times for 5 nights (travel time between 14-17 hours (1 stop over)

This is a week but 5 nights in total in phuket, (travel time between 17-19 hours (1 stop over) so not too much different, this is sort of why im trying to justify it.

I wont really be sightseeing, basically just being on the piss. and can't do longer with other commitments, but when I saw I can get the trip for the same price as a week in Spain.... this is why im asking the question

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

If I was younger and had the money I would, older now the fecking jetlag would take me a week to get over, it's a mad place go for it lad ya Yolo.... when yr in a nursing home many years to come ya can pull the I was in phuket story impress all the grannies... go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭4Ad

Pattaya is the cesspit of Thailand..
    Phuket has beautiful places, Bangla Road is awful though..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

4Ad wrote: »
    Pattaya is the cesspit of Thailand..
    Phuket has beautiful places, Bangla Road is awful though..

I'll be in Phuket next month for a week.

Any suggestions? I'll have a scooter to ride..into in white beaches, snorkeling, temples, nature and generally rising a scooter in an exotic place.

The odd bit of partying on Bangla road of course but certainly not the biggest part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

MarkY91 wrote: »

Any suggestions? I'll have a scooter to ride..into in white beaches, snorkeling, temples, nature and generally rising a scooter in an exotic place.

The odd bit of partying on Bangla road of course but certainly not the biggest part of it.

Just follow the coast road. There are still some relatively unspoilt beaches and coves. From Patong head towards Karon and continue from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭fitzparker

So I bit the bullet and booked, going for a little longer, Fly out Monday head home Tuesday (7 nights in phuket in total).

got flight and hotel for €650 (mid august) cheaper than a week in Spain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭larchielads

Is it still business as usual over in Thailand lads or whats the story. Due to be goin at end of the month with herself?

Is it still business as usual over in Thailand lads or whats the story. Due to be goin at end of the month with herself?

So far yes but I cannot see it being the same in 2 weeks.

Philippines basically shut itself down to tourist's yesterday. Thailand will be soon following.

My trip is over now too. Was going early April..

Ah i dont know what to do, whether to still go or not. Itll hardly go into lock down like italy. Dont think itll be that bad or will it?

Ah i dont know what to do, whether to still go or not. Itll hardly go into lock down like italy. Dont think itll be that bad or will it?

My problem is that I fly home form Philippines and they shut air travel so I'm ****ed.

With you, you could still be going. If on the day, the flights were going ahead, I would personally take the flight.

My problem is that I fly home form Philippines and they shut air travel so I'm ****ed.

With you, you could still be going. If on the day, the flights were going ahead, I would personally take the flight.

Personally I def would take the flight. But if all temples and attractions are closed then what would be the point is what herself is sayin to me.

I'd go and have the whole place to ourselves ok maybe not to ourselves but maybe less crowded???

Personally I def would take the flight. But if all temples and attractions are closed then what would be the point is what herself is sayin to me.

I'd go and have the whole place to ourselves ok maybe not to ourselves but maybe less crowded???

You'll have the place to yourselves. There are very few tourists. Most things are open but that could change overnight.

The Thai government brushed this under the carpet initially to protect the tourism sector but that hasn't worked. The declared number of infections is completely fictional I'd say. If there were so few infections they wouldn't have cancelled so many events.

I was supposed to be going later this month but I'm not going. I've lived there and worked there and I don't trust the current regime to handle this properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

That is way too short to travel that far for a few day's. You will lose one day on arrival.
    You would be better going for longer and experiencing different places.

Many people expect things to get much worse soon too. Some banks are not exchanging money already and also people panic buying in supermarket's just like here.

It rained all the time i was there so cannot not give much advice lol. But we took the ferry to Koh Phi Phi which was nice apart from all the boats on the beach but you can find some nice beaches and do short island hops too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don't think you'll be going anywhere! We'll likely be in lockdown by then like Italy are now, all flights grounded etc.

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    I don't think you'll be going anywhere! We'll likely be in lockdown by then like Italy are now, all flights grounded etc.

Just checked flights with klm. Not cancelled. We're flyin dub to Amsterdam then Amsterdam to bangkok on the 27th of march

Just checked flights with klm. Not cancelled. We're flyin dub to Amsterdam then Amsterdam to bangkok on the 27th of march

Are you going to go?

Are you going to go?

Yeah, and people ive spoken to said theyd go too if they were me

It's a hard one to call. Been going to SE Asia (Using Thailand as a hub) since 2010. The place is shutting down, slowly but surely. (From what i've seen from Backpacker / Expat forums).

If I went now, my fear is upon return, i'd be forced into isolation.

Enjoy your holiday.

You obviously move amongst a circle of geniuses. Don't forget to download the airport app in advance of immigration.

The Thai cabinet meeting tomorrow will discuss closing schools, bars and entertainment venues. Bars are expecting to be shut later this week. They've also decided to cancel/postpone Songkhran celebrations.

Malaysia will ban foreigners entering the country from Wednesday. Many restaurants in Vietnam have banned "Europeans".

Enjoy your holiday.

You obviously move amongst a circle of geniuses. Don't forget to download the airport app in advance of immigration.

The Thai cabinet meeting tomorrow will discuss closing schools, bars and entertainment venues. Bars are expecting to be shut later this week. They've also decided to cancel/postpone Songkhran celebrations.

Malaysia will ban foreigners entering the country from Wednesday. Many restaurants in Vietnam have banned "Europeans".

Enjoy your holiday.

Cancelling their biggest holiday tells me they will announce something big. I would be extremely worried about travelling at this time.

Enjoy your holiday.
    Well geniuses cant predict the future as to know what governments are gonna do. If they do decide to go ahead with it then i wont be goin

Are you still planning on going ? They are restricting people entering the country now. Bangkok is like a ghost town as are many other parts. Bars all closed, schools shut and police patrolling the streets.
    When local Thai people are worried then it is a big thing.

I am not reading this from news either, I am talking to my friend who lives there. She still goes to work but only a 2 min walk then home and orders food online. Even the food delivery company are texting to say they are outside and food will be left outside door, no social interaction.

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Are you still planning on going ? They are restricting people entering the country now. Bangkok is like a ghost town as are many other parts. Bars all closed, schools shut and police patrolling the streets.
    When local Thai people are worried then it is a big thing.

I am not reading this from news either, I am talking to my friend who lives there. She still goes to work but only a 2 min walk then home and orders food online. Even the food delivery company are texting to say they are outside and food will be left outside door, no social interaction.

I spoke to two friends in Bangkok yesterday. Their problem isn't that bars etc. are closing, it's that there's no enforcement. Their 'local' decided to stay open. 'Restaurants' don't have to close so Hooters is suddenly a restaurant! There's no national policy. Another friend in Korat says it's quieter but most places are open.

Government strategies include a mass televised prayer against plague and the army going out at night to disinfect... the roads!

They're expecting things to ramp up but it'll be too late then and they'll have to take pretty drastic action to catch up.

• Advertisement

I spoke to two friends in Bangkok yesterday. Their problem isn't that bars etc. are closing, it's that there's no enforcement. Their 'local' decided to stay open. 'Restaurants' don't have to close so Hooters is suddenly a restaurant! There's no national policy. Another friend in Korat says it's quieter but most places are open.

Government strategies include a mass televised prayer against plague and the army going out at night to disinfect... the roads!

They're expecting things to ramp up but it'll be too late then and they'll have to take pretty drastic action to catch up.

The army with water hoses probably. I have a friend in Korat too and she said it is quiet apart from foreign people out and about as normal.

They have left it too late definitely, god know's when i will ever be back. When proper testing comes in i say the numbers will be huge.

Agree on the national policy, it's just local Mayors/leaders deciding about things, Buriram went into lockdown but this was lifted afterwards. Just no communication really between them all.

Advertisement