Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wave Depression Watch 16th/17th November - Low Risk of Intense Storm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Looking at the marine observations at midday I wonder if the low centre is a little further south than the models are predicting. There are two important ships in the area - A8SF8 at 42.3N 34.6W and A8HJ8 at 40.4N 39.7W (both down the bottom of the chart). The nearest one to the centre is A8SF8 at 1001.0hPa, and is reporting a wind from 130° (SE) and the other is at 1004.3hPa and reporting a westerly wind (270°). These wind directions would put the centre somewhere between the two, at around 42N 38W, nearest to A8SF8. But the GFS has the centre further north than that, at around 44N 37W, which is around 120 miles of a difference. It will be interesting to see if there's a southward shift in the 12Z analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

An interesting few days ahead, my gut feeling is that it won't surmount to anything major.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I think you might be right Su. I took this grab of the sat loop on the 12:15 frame with the LatLon overlay on. I put a red dot where on the animation the centre of the low appears to be. Looks spot on with your co-ordinates for 12:00.

14bnukw.jpg

Hmmm, 12Z NAE has shifted it slightly north rather than south though...

12z gfs has gales/strong gales for exposed coastal areas from the southwest to the northwest with storm force winds just offshore in places.

• Advertisement

The GFS 12 run has analysed the centre a little to the south, as I though it would. This takes it slightly further away from the jet and the divergence aloft, which could weaken and slow it down. Whether it's enough to cause a larger change come the time we'll have to wait and see. The output for tomorrow 12Z does have it a little further west

Based on the 12z GFS

Quite windy in the west/northwest tomorrow evening :

1fxmp0.gif

Gusts of 100 / 110kph extending inland a bit in places :

smuhcy.gif

Quite heavy rain in the south :

2cny1aw.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Looks to me as though western coastal counties could see a brief period of strong winds with gusts to 60 mph or so, and potential for somewhat higher, CMC or GEM has a more aggressive solution than GFS and brings the low to within 3 deg of the coast. This is almost ideal for maxing out gusts at Valentia and Belmullet. Storm begins to remind me of that intense windstorm in Kerry last January. Given the short life cycle and current formative stages, probably won't get much clarity on this until the 00z model runs. Have it covered in forecast for this range of outcomes.

Here are today's 12Z winds for 18Z and 21Z tomorrow, showing some pretty intense conditions along the south and west. They could be almost as strong as Carmen but for a much shorter period.

134903.png

134904.png

a3i7wg.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Update 18z data would renew concern that is certainly still possible for this vicious feature to hit land.

A definite movement southward and delayed intensification is forecast.

If this signal is built upon in the Morning, some western districts should prepare for the poss of >70mph gusts while Irish sea coasts could see some gusts approaching 60mph.

I'd say the Met will watch this one overnight.

ECM earlier stalled it to our west before pushing it south and east during Wednesday.

I say the position of this LOW in 24 hours time is uncertain upto 75 miles.

18Z GFS has the storm a littler further south and east tomorrow evening, as a result, its a slight upgrade for the west/northwest coast on this run.

5ds4y8.gif

55 knots over Belmullet there.

Any guesses for top gusts tomorrow? Im going for 120kph at Belmullet. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Lads , i dunno bout this one.... i still havent recovered from chasing Carmen! .... Whos gonna tag in for me and Winger_pl for this one!? ha

Looks good! , wouldnt be surprised if it gets a bit stronger even.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

This little fella is going a tad un-noticed with all the talk about the weekend Easterly.
    However a slight nudge East and a slight strength increase and it's a full blown storm!

Just looking at some SAT imagery, haven't been able to check comprehensively but the system does to me appear to be moving further south, possibly a delay in intensification?

Thoughts?

ESTOFEX have a Level 1 out for Ireland for strong/severe wind gusts and tornadoes.

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2010111706_201011151958_1_stormforecast.xml
    Storm Forecast
    Valid: Tue 16 Nov 2010 06:00 to Wed 17 Nov 2010 06:00 UTC
    Issued: Mon 15 Nov 2010 19:58
    Forecaster: KOROSEC

A level 1 was issued for Ireland and areas towards extreme NW Iberia mainly for strong/severe wind gusts and brief tornadoes.

A level 1 was issued for much of central Mediterranean mainly for strong winds, excessive convective rainfall as well as a couple of waterspouts.

SYNOPSIS

A well defined upper cut-off low over northern Mediterranean slowly makes its SE-ward progress. Associated with this upper low, a frontal system will be the focus for convective activity along the surface cold front across Italy and surrounding areas.

Another feature of interest will be rapidly deepening surface low beneath the robust slowly negative tilting upper trough west of UK. Strong surface cyclone moves towards NE just west/near Ireland during the forecast period.

Upper ridging builds up over North and East Europe and western Russia.

DISCUSSION

... Ireland ...

During the morning hours, rapid cyclogenesis takes place just west of Ireland and moves towards NE during the day. A strong cold front extends from its center towards SW and will be moving east towards UK, France and NW Iberia. With rather strong WAA ahead of the front and coming steep lapse rates aloft, some destabilization and convective cells/line is likely to occur along the surface frontal convergence. Mostly, strong to severe wind gusts will be the primary threat. Closer to the low, better veering profiles suggest enhanced SR helicity which could bring some organized rotating convective cells as well. A couple of funnel clouds or brief tornadoes cannot be excluded there either. Behind the front, strong CAA moves towards the continent with numerous shallow convective cells.

... central Mediterranean ...

Beneath the rather well organized upper low, surface cold front moves across Italy during the forecast period. Well mixed BL airmass ahead of it suggest that at least marginal instability will be available and some hundreds of MLCAPE should release. At mid-levels, moderately strong jet wraps around the vort-max with 20-25 m/s of deep-layer shear, which will be favorable enough for locally organized storms. Current thinking is that organized convection will be more likely over open seas and affect coastal areas with some strong winds and intense rain. Excessive (partly convective) rainfall is also expected around northern Adriatic sea where again a rather high precipitation sums are suggested by the models.

In the wake of the core, cold air advection will overspread the Tyrrhenian sea and where quite high LL buoyancy enhances threat for a couple of waterspouts, as wind field will be rather weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Su Campu wrote: »
    ESTOFEX have a Level 1 out for Ireland for strong/severe wind gusts and tornadoes.

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2010111706_201011151958_1_stormforecast.xml

OHHH!...

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

If it wasn't for he fact that it'll be dark when this comes I'd consider driving out again as I just got a new camera this weekend...

• Advertisement

Already 37kt winds being reported by a ship to the east of the centre at midnight. She's spooling up....

The 23Z TAFs give S-SE winds gusting 45kts at Cork, 44kts at Connaught and 42kts at Shannon and Dublin tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Also remember if this has no effect on Dublin then, it wont be made a big deal of or mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I see that Met eireann have issued a weather warning for this approaching system 0500 hours. It mentions force 8 winds:D She's definately brewing...

Not looking quite as strong on the 0Z models. Met Eireann's forecast seems spot on.

The heavy rain will become widespread overnight and there is the risk of local spot flooding. Wet and blustery with strong to gale force winds along exposed coasts and gusts of between 75 and 95 km/h expected overland.

Showing up nicely on Sat24 now

http://www.sat24.com/gb

Ship WDD3826 is located around 150 miles to the southeast of the centre at 09Z, along or just ahead of the warm front, within the tightest pressure gradient. Its report at 09Z gave 37kt southerly wind, drizzle, temperature/dewpoint 16/14°C.

Weather Warning

Issued at 16 November 2010 - 12:32
    Weather Warning

South to southeast winds will reach mean speeds of 45 to 55 km/h (24 to 30 kts) tonight with gusts of 75 to 95 km/h (40 to 51 kts) generally but 95 to 110 km/h (51 to 59 kts) in southwestern, western and northern coastal areas.
    The strong winds will become confined to northern coastal areas on Wednesday morning.

Valid from 18:00 hours Tuesday 16th November 2010
    To 12:00 hours Wednesday 17th November 2010

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

Felice is the name of this one btw.

2rdzt5h.jpg

There are 40kt winds wrapping around the centre of Felice, which is less than 980hPa at midday. Wave heights are above 5m off the southwest coast.

Further southeast, at 46.2N 11.4W, one ship is reporting 47kt winds in the tight gradient between Felice and the Iberian High.

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynop?lang=en&esc=4&nav=Yes&lat=45N&lon=015W&proy=orto&base=bluem&ano=2010&mes=11&day=16hora=12&vwi=Wi

Valentia with the highest gust so far, 85kph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Definately getting windy here now ...

Trampoline in the garden has moved a bit :D

Advertisement