Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does any dentist in Ireland do "arch development" orthodontics for adults?

• 09-05-2019 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭GerryCarry

Most dentists think this can only be done in a growing patient. But the following American website says it offers appliances that allow it to be done in adults. Here is a link to the page:

http://createsmiles.com/arch-development/

Do you know of any dentist in Ireland that would be able to do this for me (or advise me of same)? I'm 32 years old.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Franklin Green Hamster

Every orthodontist in the country does this, its standard treatment. Look up the orthodontic societ of ireland website, pick one close to you and go for a consultation. Best to leave the self diagnosis at the door and be open to their expert opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭GerryCarry

Every orthodontist in the country does this, its standard treatment. Look up the orthodontic societ of ireland website, pick one close to you and go for a consultation. Best to leave the self diagnosis at the door and be open to their expert opinion.

You obviously didn't read the link i posted in the opening thread. They do custom appliances designed for adults. They also say that the vast majority of dentists do not think arch development can be done in adults because that's what they were taught in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

GerryCarry wrote: »
    Most dentists think this can only be done in a growing patient. But the following American website says it offers appliances that allow it to be done in adults. Here is a link to the page:

http://createsmiles.com/arch-development/

Do you know of any dentist in Ireland that would be able to do this for me (or advise me of same)? I'm 32 years old.

Have you seen an orthodontist for a consultation yet??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Franklin Green Hamster

GerryCarry wrote: »
    You obviously didn't read the link i posted in the opening thread. They do custom appliances designed for adults. They also say that the vast majority of dentists do not think arch development can be done in adults because that's what they were taught in college.

Read the link, its not accurate, its marketing All orthodontist do this for adults as well as children in the cases where its indicated, but best go to an orthodontist for a consultation and they will tell you more specifically for your individual case. We actually had a thread on here not long ago with somebody who had rapid arch expansion in their 30's. I see a lot of adults who have braces and their arch shape changes dramatically. There are the proponents of ALF around the place. But best keep to the mainstream. Things that work are mainstream and things are are a bit out there, are well...a bit out there. There are a whole load of different approaches, whole loads of shills and crackpots. The approach doesnt matter, its the result that matters. My advice is solid, see an orthodontist, tell them the result you want and take their advice on how to get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭GerryCarry

There are the proponents of ALF around the place.

What does ALF stand for?

• Advertisement
Advertisement