Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Most important athlete of all-time?

• 15-05-2005 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

There was an interesting read in playboy's june issue where they interviewed Lance Armstrong, mentioning him as possibly being the most important athlete of all-time. I guess I never really thought of him like that before, but after reading through, this guy overcame 12 tumors, goes on to win the Tour de France 6 times in a row, and helped raise close to $40 million for cancer by selling those simple yellow bracelets for $1 each...he has my vote.

Just wondering what everyone else's opinion is?

Chris P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Jesse Owens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

For the Yanks only 6 athletes have transcended their sports. Only one of those in non-american sport. Mike, Lance, Tiger, Wayne (Gretzky), actually I can't remember the other two unless they're an older generation?

Anyway, some of the things that you acknowledge re: Lance certainly distinguish him from the crowd. The toughest of the sports, and the scale of his comeback.

Important is such an arbitary term, it may have nothing to do with this caliber as an athlete and more to do with his impact with his fame.

Advertisement