Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car insurance - massive increase for no reason

• 21-03-2019 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

I'm with Allianz the last few years. Price has always been around €400/450. Small 1L Toyota Yaris, 13 years NCB, no claims ever, no penalty points. Renewal quote €740.

What do you think is the reason for such a massive increase?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

They don't want your business any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Have you shopped around? Insurance companies neither give or deserve loyalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Oh will definitely be shopping around when I have time, was just wondering why there was such a big increase.

Car is 8 and a half years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Did you ask them why? Not that it matters really they will just blame the old reliable false claims when really it's recouping money from ANY claim they paid out on and pure greed for profits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Have you had a look at alternatives in previous years?

theteal wrote: »
    Have you had a look at alternatives in previous years?

Yes, I shop around every year. Actually last year they quoted €490 and I was annoyed as the previous year was €400 and I thought insurance was supposed to go down each year. So had a look around and iirc the cheapest quote was a couple of hundred above my renewal quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Cordell

I thought insurance was supposed to go down each year.
    After the 3rd hike I was done being surprised when both my NCB years and quote increased :)

Cordell wrote: »
    After the 3rd hike I was done being surprised when both my NCB years and quote increased :)

It's pretty unfair though. Like each claim and point free year, it shows the risk of insuring you is low/reducing. And insurance premiums are supposed to be based on how risky it is to insure you.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

Shop around my insurance went up t o €960 last year with Allianz, was €800 Full NCB and no penalty points. Switched to Avia and got insured for €560 full comp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Cordell

Monife wrote: »
    It's pretty unfair though. Like each claim and point free year, it shows the risk of insuring you is low/reducing. And insurance premiums are supposed to be based on how risky it is to insure you.

Yeah, that's our logic, but the quote is a case of computer says so.

The biggest drop in price was when I changed my licence from EU to IE - a piece of plastic seems to be much more important than 6 or 7 years of claim and incident free driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Charlie Weston is the Personal Finance editor for the Irish Independent, I think it's worth posting this tweet of his from last week......

https://twitter.com/CWeston_Indo/status/1105430645923303425

Advertisement