Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tight bearings on new Mavics.

• 12-03-2019 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭

I received a pair of new Ksyriums to match the bike. The front wheel felt a bit tight when spun in my hands. When placed in the dropout, the wheel showed side to side play. I tightened the QRM bearings with the supplied tool to eliminate the play. Obviously, tightening the bearings did little to make the wheel spin more freely.
    I would note from Mavic...

'In order to avoid any problems for your customers, we factory set bearing play by simulating an extreme quick release tightening force.
    There is therefore likely to be some play in the hub of a new wheel fitted to a bike with a lower quick release tightening force than that used in the factory.'

I don't use 'extreme quick release force' just a lower QR tightening force. Is it a case of the bearings and /or seals 'loosening up' after a few rides or has there been some poor adjustment of the bearings in the factory to begin with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ninoon

From what you describe Im not sure that there is anything wrong with your wheels other than bearing tension adjustment. I have a set of Ksyriums for a number of years . I adjust the bearing gradually (with the skewer tight) until there is no play then ease back a little for free spinning.

Advertisement