Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MPRN no.

• 10-03-2019 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    Is there a way of finding out the age of a house through the Esb MPRN number as in to find out when that number was issued to the property .

Thanks in advance .

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If they do know, they properly wont tell you.

You should try the land registry:> https://www.landdirect.ie/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Hi all
    Is there a way of finding out the age of a house through the Esb MPRN number as in to find out when that number was issued to the property .

Thanks in advance .

No. Its completely random

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭meercat

Hi all

Thanks in advance .

I assume there’s no date on the esb seal.Sometimes they attach a plastic card with details

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

meercat wrote: »
    I assume there’s no date on the esb seal.Sometimes they attach a plastic card with details

If there is that only means the date the seal was put on.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,859 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Check the actual meter, there is usually a year stamp on it.... On older meters this may be two stand alone digits ie 71 etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,230 ✭✭✭✭Victor

salmocab wrote: »
    If there is that only means the date the seal was put on.
    Well, at least the seal can't be put on before construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Thanks all
    The issue is the dwelling was origanly built c 1950
    Major refurb and extensions in 2007

Meter box relocated and replaced
    The onsite pole was removed and new line brought in underground from pole on far side of the road.
    So am curious to know would there of been a new MPRN issued or would it still be the original one from the 1950s dwelling
    Might just give the ESB a buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Victor wrote: »
    Well, at least the seal can't be put on before construction.

Yeah but anytime after from the next day to yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Thanks all
    The issue is the dwelling was origanly built c 1950
    Major refurb and extensions in 2007

Meter box relocated and replaced
    The onsite pole was removed and new line brought in underground from pole on far side of the road.
    So am curious to know would there of been a new MPRN issued or would it still be the original one from the 1950s dwelling
    Might just give the ESB a buzz.

No same MPRN.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There were no MPRNs in the fifties. The MPAN/MPRN concept is something that was introduced in relation to retail market opening (to competition) in late 1990s or early 2000's. Previous to that, it wasn't really required because the integrated generation, distribution and customer supply business was run on a more regional level.

There is no obvious place I can think of in the ESB where you might find out when the electricity supply was first installed (they do have a date for when many of the meters were installed, but if your meter has been replaced, this probably isn't much use). You could try an FOI request to ESB Networks and see how it went for you. It might be in a card file somewhere or something, but I wouldn't be hopeful. (See https://www.esbnetworks.ie/acting-responsibly/about-freedom-of-information/freedom-of-information )

All the obvious things to check are mentioned above.

One more: if it is in a city, you can go through Thom's directories for different years and it may give you a clue as to when the building was built. To find Thom's directories: go to the library, identify a librarian aged over 40 and say 'Can you tell me where the old Thom's directories might be?'

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/end-of-the-road-for-thom-s-street-directory-1.479598

Outside cities, Eolai an Phoist might or might not help. It's not a source I've ever used. It goes up until the 70s.

And the title might be helpful. But you may need to get this from your solicitor. The land registry will probably have limited information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Thanks.
    In the end I rang ESB networks and a very helpful lady done a bit of research to inform me there was two MPRN numbers attached to the property one was redundant and the new one which I'm using now was applied in 2007 with the new relocated meter box
    But your right she had no installation date for the old one.

Advertisement