Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nascar 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,329 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hendricks Motorsport were back on top this weekend in Chicagoland. Alex Bowman driving what used to be Dale Jnrs no.88 got his first ever win, Jimmie Johnson led at one stage and came home fourth, William Byron also lead at one stage before a bad restart killed his chances and he finished 8th. Chase Elliott had a trouble filled day and at one stage was two laps down but battled back for an 11th place finish to round out a great weekend for the Chevy team. Another Chevy driven by Kyle Larson chased down Bowman and took the lead for a couple of laps before Bowman got back by him for the win. Joey Logano had a consistent day and got third.
    It's on to Daytona next Saturday night for the Coke Zero 400. Should be a very exciting race with lots of crashes likely in a crazy restrictor plate race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

For anyone interested, tonight's Monster Energy Cup race at Charlotte Speedway Road Course (Roval) is on at 7.30pm.

And it's live in Freesports!!!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Fantastic win by Chase Elliott. Into the wall on a restart, then got back into it taking advantage of some cautions.

Good fun doing a burn out celebrating the win where he got the tyre barrier earlier.

Live Nascar from Dover on Freesports again this week. Coverage from 7pm.

Should be a great one. Most all time wins is 11 by Jimmie Johnson, winner of the spring race at the track Martin Truex Jr. who won the two races before last week, Chase Elliott who has the best average finish here, won this last year and won last week, you've got Kyle Larson who is great on this track, Kevin Harvick who has led the most laps at this track, you can never rule out Kyle Busch and then my pick is Denny Hamlin who has had a serious long run car all season and got the pole in a record time for this. William Byron is a dark horse, has been qualifying up front a lot recently but they've tuned the car down a little looking for more consistency this week.
    Should be a great race tonight.

• Advertisement

I'm hoping for a Chase Elliott win!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

astrofluff wrote: »
    I'm hoping for a Chase Elliott win!

well you jinxed that :P

Drama, #22 and#9 in the garage with mechanical issues. I think I jinxed it for Chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Some of the cars have beautiful liveries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Asinine is the word Tony Stewart used to describe Nascar in Texas and F1 being on the same day - the empty grandstands at the Nascar playoffs will have one promoter very unhappy

• Advertisement

The rule is one race decides the championship - the series winner - but you have to feel others are more deserving.

Not a fan of Kyle. Do like Toyota though.

Pity Denny had a mare today. Stupid grill tape.

Not a fan of Kyle. Do like Toyota though.

Pity Denny had a mare today. Stupid grill tape.

Truex last a lap early on as well

Jimmy Johnson is to retire at end of the 2020 season

It'll be sad to see Jimmy go, hopefully he has a good car next year and can go out on a high.
    In other not so new news, Daniel Suarez is out of SHR and Cole Custer will take over the no. 41.
    Christopher Bell is going to Leavine family racing who have a partnership with Joe Gibbs racing with whom Bell has a contract. Matt Di Benedetto has moved from the 95 to Wood brothers.
    The last of the big three in the Xfinity series for the past two seasons is Tyler Reddick and he is also moving up into the no. 8 for RCR. He won the xfinity series the last two years.
    It's going to be some battle for the rookie of the year title.
    If you asked me a year ago I'd have said that Christopher Bell would be the superstar among those three but now I'm not so sure. We could be seeing a lot of young drivers coming through over the next couple of years with Bell turning 25, Reddick and Eric Jones both 23, and Custer and William Byron 21.
    I think there will be a lot of cup championships between those five over the next decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

So this Daytona 500 was originally supposed to start at 7.30.

Then it got delayed because of Trump and delayed for rain.

It's now nearly 9 and it still hasn't started *zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*

Just turned it on, feckin raining. How many laps did they get done? Didn't seem like many.

@mods, any chance we could re-label the thread 2019 & 2020

Just turned it on, feckin raining. How many laps did they get done? Didn't seem like many.

Green flag came out at 9:21; we got 20 laps in before the rain returned with a vengeance.

I'm gonna give up. Looks like I'll miss this while it's run at some stage through the night. Reading online that they need to get this done so that they can pack up and go west for next weekend.

• Advertisement

Daytona 500 has been postponed until Monday due to the rain showers

9.00pm Irish time tonight. The Trump stuff was a bit surreal.

And we are back green!

Unfortunate for Byron. Stenhouse seen Almirola drop to the bottom and was gonna jump in front of him but obviously seen there was nobody behind Aric and went back up catching Byron's left rear quarter panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

That's a handy video while ads are on.

There's the big wreck. This'll take time to tidy up.

Logano at fault for that ?

Lot of good cars out with 15 laps to go - Red Flagged

I wouldn't lay blame but definitely the catalyst to the incident happening.

• Advertisement

That's a horrible impact to Newman, on driver's side of car, while sliding on his roof. Denny Hamlin only being subdued after his celebration. Surely the team would have told him to calm it down not knowing Newman's condition. Hope the guy is ok.

Advertisement