Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decreasing Drag on Ice

• 12-12-2018 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I want to preface this post by stating I'm not an engineer, nor do I study the field. I am writing for advice. I am looking for methods of reducing the drag of 316L stainless steel on ice. The hardness of the metal has a limit, so for the sake of this post lets leave out any ideas of hardening.

My goal is simple, to make the steel go as fast as possible on ice, by reducing drag/friction, yes it's a race. Few rules, apart from hardening the metal itself, any material/substance applied to the 316L will have to withstand the application of acetone, and not leave any noticeable residue on the steel itself.

This is a weird question, I know but I look forward to hearing back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

The weird questions are usually the most interesting ones...

The usual way to reduce friction is by reducing surface roughness (e.g., 316L can be electropolished) or adding a lower-friction coating (like PTFE), assuming the surface isn't distorted. However, I have a vague memory that ice locally melts if the pressure is high enough. Not sure if a skate (for example) would produce this, but if so it'd be more effective than any surface treatment. For example, see melting ice by brushing in curling.

If there's more than one skate, make sure they're all parallel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think that's how skates work.

When you stand on the ice, or skate, the ice turns to water and you slide on that
    When you step on the ice wearing ice skates, all your weight comes down through the blade of the skate onto the ice. This results in very high pressure per square inch on the ice under the blade (see below for an estimate of the actual pressure). The reason you glide smoothly is that this pressure actually MELTS the ice directly underneath the blade, so you're riding on a cushion of water on top of ice, which is a super slippery situation. (Ice melts under pressure because, as a liquid, water actually has a lower volume.)

The skates don't slide sideways out from under you because the blades have a slight concave ground into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Unfrozen water will also act as a lubricant. iirc some of the slabs of marble in China's forbidden city are supposed to have been moved on a frozen river with wells dug in the ice every few hundred yards to provide water to put in front of the sledge.

In the OP's case I suspect the "trick" is in the shape of metal in contact with the ice. It needs to be thin enough to support the weight and create enough pressure to melt the ice but not so thin that it breaks. Ice skates have like a groove down the middle with sharpish edges so the edges cut into the ice and the groove holds the lubricating water.

Advertisement