Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Very frosty and cloudy in Dublin 5.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Very frosty and cloudy in Dublin 5.

Same in Dublin 13. Lots of hard frost on the footpaths. Looks lovely! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Cold and damp here in Laois, no frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Nice hoar frost in Kinsealy nice and fresh

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Dark and cold Galway/Tipperary border. Not a scrap of frost...again. I’m really counting on (hoping that) February brings some decent winter weather. Even a few good hard frosts would be something. Getting desperate at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Nice hoar frost in Kinsealy nice and fresh
    Wtf is hoar frost lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭highdef

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Wtf is hoar frost lol

http://www.letmegooglethat.com/?q=Hoar+frost

:D:P:p

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Wtf is hoar frost lol

I always thought of it as a “super” frost. Very heavy and thick. Could be wrong though. Whatever it is I wouldn’t mind seeing some of it around my way!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Nice sunrise this morning

0-C93-F631-A8-A7-4-C8-D-B2-EF-269371-B09060.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Red in the Morning, Shepherd's warning - right? So what is the warning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Kamili wrote: »

If this was west mayo, a warning of the heavy, sodden downpour now happening... dark, cold, Bad weather for baby lambs .... so shepherds beware

highdef wrote: »

Neat, very neat. HOAR means grizzled, grey white as in white hair...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Kamili wrote: »

Hapes of snow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Ballina co mayo 23/01/19 temperature 5°C
    fLZw9ew.jpg

d7MXLi8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

KingJeremy wrote: »
    I always thought of it as a “super” frost. Very heavy and thick. Could be wrong though. Whatever it is I wouldn’t mind seeing some of it around my way!

It's basically frost which picks up moisture,and it's almost like a frizzy plant....
    Just grows and grows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

HighLine wrote: »

Oh wow, stunning! Lucky bastards! :(

Muckka wrote: »
    It's basically frost which picks up moisture,and it's almost like a frizzy plant....
    Just grows and grows
    ##

Kind of three dimensional rather than flat...

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

Graces7 wrote: »
    ##

Kind of three dimensional rather than flat...

Exactly, I remember it in 2010 it was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭highdef

HighLine wrote: »

As the streetlights are LED, the colour is so much nicer looking than the horrible orange sodium lamps that are slowly being replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

As the streetlights are LED, the colour is so much nicer looking than the horrible orange sodium lamps that are slowly being replaced.

I very much disagree, am saddened to see the end of the Low pressure sodium lamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Look at you getting all fancy with your lampposts..:) at this rate I'll take gas powered ones as long as Its snowing

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

My god what a horrible day, just raining in Galway with no let up, and none any time soon. Met Eireann are saying "patchy light rain and drizzle", which is a fairly sizeable understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

drizzle and cold here in cork city for the last two days aswell. Gah

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

horrible day here too, cold damp drizzly muck 5C.

Muckka wrote: »
    Exactly, I remember it in 2010 it was amazing.

blob:https://www.rte.ie/4b4fbc9a-8482-4241-aeb5-248e396cab57

Talking about amazing.. frozen Niagara on the rte news page if ths comes on properly The water freezing as it falls

all we have here is sullen, sodden, ceaseless loud rain.. west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Agreed. Our Snow photo's around the house at Christmas 2010 would have been so much nicer if the snow wasn't orange, especially the 3 inches of icing sugar snow capping the hedges around the perimeter. Our Sodium streetlamps were replaced with nice white LED's a year or two later and I looked forward to some day taking shots of the house with white instead of orange snow. Thought that day had come with the snow of Feb/Mar 2018 but it was not to be. 99% of the time living literally on the Seafront in Bray is the best place to be for so many reasons but in terms of the Snow its more often than not disappointing even compared to a few hundred metres further into Bray. The gales blew in salty sea spray with all that snow that acted as antifreeze up to about 500m inland so it never accumulated where I am beyond a dirty slushy 2 inch deep mess which also meant zero icing sugar accumulation on top of the hedge. Cousins 500m in from the Seafront and 50m higher that avoided the salty sea spray had 12 inches on the level and 3ft snow drifts in their gardens! Grrgghh!! :D

Heres my Orange snow capped hedges from Xmas 2010.

CykoIbAl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Looks like we got away with okay weather in Dublin 5/9 then, mostly cloudy with the odd sunny spell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Deedsie wrote: »
    The LED street lights are worse for light pollution. Id prefer the light off them than the sodium lights myself.

We should probably be installing streetlights to minimise light pollution.

I have read this 6 times. I can't make out what you are saying.

Advertisement