Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FI Charts (T120+ onwards) Winter 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is that an ex hurricane heading our way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

The storm gone to our north on 18z gfs...Still looks nasty,I imagine it's track will be chopping and changing for sometime. This time next week it could be all about Storm Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

The storm gone to our north on 18z gfs...Still looks nasty,I imagine it's track will be chopping and changing for sometime. This time next week it could be all about Storm Brian.

Did someone say my name? :P Interesting watching the models over the next week to see how it pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Thankfully the storm threat is receding, I think we can do without flooded homes, structural damage and possible deaths and injuries.
    I would prefer if the tiles remained on my roof!

UW144-21.GIF?26-07

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The latest GFS still sticking with a Northerly track, The ECM seems to send the remnants more towards Spain again ( did this a few days ago and then tracked the storm towards us in a following run ). The UKMO shows the LP areas of EX Maria and ex Lee . I have read a piece from Matt Hugo saying this area as being described as having the potential for rapid cyclongenesis when it is combined with the jet stream and strong baroclonic zone later in the weekend.

5 or 6 days away, the models will need to come more in line before confidence in a track or strength.

3F6DujJ.gif?1

5tE2jWK.gif

tempresult_dmv5.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The ECM has shifted the potential storm on the 12z to a more NE'ly track , to me not looking too potent in this run from what I can make out, even though a low Barometer reading it looks a bit flabby . The 3 models are showing a depression / possible storm close to our shores, two going for a NE 'ly track off Scotland.

Early days yet. These charts have been chopping and changing nearly every run. More twists and turns to come no doubt.

Note 850 hPa Charts

XEcAp3t.gif?1

TwMJCmM.gif?1

tempresult_llm6.gif

The 12z GFS

sJ0hw3K.gif?1

Strong winds nudging closer to Ireland again on the 18z gfs,particularly the northwest/north coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

So it looks like that Maria hitting Ireland won't materialise. It's only September and already the pattern of disappointment after disappointment has started. No storms. No snow. It's depressing.

• Advertisement

Interesting how the latest GFS and the UKMO are beginning to look similar Sun into Mon. Very strong winds showing up in the GFS and the system begins to stall as it gets sandwiched in by blocking HP , that could mean strong winds for longer and more rain for longer.

xOzASL4.gif?1

gfs-0-132_lks1.png

NSjgNMO.gif?1

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    So it looks like that Maria hitting Ireland won't materialise. It's only September and already the pattern of disappointment after disappointment has started. No storms. No snow. It's depressing.

I don't think it can be ruled out just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The GFS is picking up on a very significant - and perhaps quite extreme anticyclone ridging into Ireland from next Tuesday onwards. Though it begins to weak and push eastwards towards the end of its run, it's still providing a lot of dry weather for us. Another very anticyclonic October for the third year in a row? :cool::eek: Notice the northern blocking over Greenland on Saturday, October 14th in the second chart ;).

6jjGVOi.png

0jZRm8O.png

The jet seems to fire up towards the weekend and the models are indicating the introduction of lively Atlantic weather at times with what seems like a plethora of LP systems passing close to us or developing and deepening close to our shores from around Sunday 15th for a number of days.

The models indicating some big fluctuations in temperatures next week , the charts will change but an idea of the different air masses being dragged around by the LP systems.

ECU0-144_dwa7.GIF

ECU0-168_vgh2.GIF

ECU0-192_fjr2.GIF

Long way off but the ECMWF showing a deep area of LP tracking off the SW of Ireland and heading into the UK Tues 17th, will be interesting to see if anything becomes of this.

voxFh8C.png?2

Still a bit away but the 4 main models showing ex Ophelia in some shape or form over or near Ireland around next Mon/ Tues, will take a few days to have a better idea of its track and intensity, that is if it makes it this far, but the charts below showing a fairly close collection of tracks.

The 12Z GFS taking it up along the Western seaboard....

tempresult_vtw7.gif

150-289UK_tti1.GIF

The UKMO showing a direct track over Ireland....

UW144-21_lya1.GIF

U144-21UK_ucl3.GIF

The GEM showing it ending up after phasing with another area of LP ( I think )

gem-0-138_kau2.png

The ECM showing a track up over Ireland as a deep depression / storm

Z1Tl83B.png

ndeg53X.png

0Ld2GJD.png

Wsnc1Ni.gif?1

The latest runs by the GFS and ECMWF have ex Opelia track up along the Atlantic Seaboard Mon / Tues and stall off the NW possibly intetacting with othet areas of LP/ trough .

Long way to go, some big winds and heavy rain showing up . Nothing certain of course for a few more days but rarely to you see both the GFS and ECMWF so close at this far out.

The UKMO very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I'll just leave this here :pac:

gfsnh-0-384.png.31914cc87bcc7cc0777e299c1efb361d.png

winteriscoming.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Looks like the GEM started Friday drinks early!

gem-0-174.png?00

After the above low ^ passes through Ireland on Saturday (discuss about it in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057798209), the GFS 12z is picking up on another deep low but following a more traditional track with its centre to the northwest.

GFSOPEU12_168_1.png

Summer makes a return in early November on the GFS 06z.

GFSOPEU06_360_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Indian summ.... winter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's well into F1 territory but maybe, just maybe things will quieten down later next week.
    With continental HP pushing west and North American HP extending east.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

sryanbruen wrote: »
    After the above low ^ passes through Ireland on Saturday (discuss about it in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057798209), the GFS 12z is picking up on another deep low but following a more traditional track with its centre to the northwest.

GFSOPEU12_168_1.png

That low has deepened out in the Atlantic,the track may take it more northerly than Brian.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Summer makes a return in early November on the GFS 06z.

GFSOPEU06_360_1.png

The chart has updated above here and what a difference it is to my original post. Northerly winds now instead of an "Indian Summer".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Ah well, it looked great at the time.
    Realistically we can now be looking to get out our woollies and fleeces shortly.

• Advertisement

Well no storms in the foreseeable future . Looking out into FI and I'm seeing the GFS showing some ridging over Ireland around the weekend leading to HP over us or near us for maybe a couple of days leading to mild and what looks like calmer conditions. The week after has the present GFS run painting a picture of Europe cooling down with perhaps a quieter Atlantic. Ireland possibly receiving cooler airs from Europe with the Jet arcing in a very Northern route and pulling down cold airs into central Europe .

The ECMWF is not as promising next weekend not letting the ridging develop and with a slow moving large area of LP well north of Scotland feeding down cold airs from polar regions from a NW direction and no doubt showers or wintry showers perhaps in northern counties.

In general a colder outlook for Europe the week after next ,will it transfer some of that cold air to us ?

Just my own musings , open to all sorts of change :)

gfs-0-144_vyu3.png

gfs-0-276_hef8.png

ECM1-240_iir9.GIF

ECM0-240_wjs1.GIF

gfs-1-276_jwy9.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement