Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter Cycling Gloves

Options
  • 07-10-2014 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Looking for a bit of advice regarding cycling gloves, I suffer from bad circulation in both hands and feet and have a fairly serious problem every winter with both numb and wet hands in bad weather conditions. I have tried numerous different brands at this stage but nothing was worked to my satisfaction. I seen these on chainreaction recently and wondered had anyone tried them or is there a better alternative.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/sealskinz-performance-thermal-cycle-glove-2014/rp-prod121824

Maybe I am being unrealistic as there are no such gloves which are waterproof and will keep fingers warm in low temperatures ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I dont know those particular gloves, but Sealskinz are good, just make sure they fit. I've used Sealskinz for club spins over the past few winters and they are better than most. Nothing will really keep you warm on filthy wet cold days, but try a light pair of cotton liner gloves under them to get the benefit of layering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I can't comment on those gloves you linked but I went with a different approach than water-proof. I got these - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/castelli-diluvio-deluxe-glove-aw14/rp-prod117751 though they were only 35e at the time.

They're neoprene cycling gloves. They're shapped for a partially closed fist - ie fingers wrapped around hoods or drops so they're very comfortable on the bike. They let water in but it gets held there and gets warm. The neoprene blocks the wind and acts as a good insulator and trapped water is a good insulator too.

I found them the business for really cold and wet days. If it's not wet then your hands will end up sweaty but they're a safer bet for unpredictable cold days than the autumn gloves I have as if it rains those become worse than useless.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I have Castelli winter gloves, different than those linked and they're great. I wouldn't pay twice the price to buy sealskinz to be honest.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

+1 for neoprene

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

+1 for the neoprene gloves as well but anything below 7 degrees with rain and you'll be freezing in them. i sometimes put on liner gloves, latex and then the Castelli divulios on the top of them as neoprene isn't windproof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Was in halfords the other day and saw sealskinz gloves for 25€ i think.... I think they were some cross between wool and neoprene!!...looked good in fairness.

I used windsurf and the same thing used pop up every year "what gloves" to get.

What a lot of people used to do was put on a pair of marigolds...waterproof and windproof and thin.
    Would disposable latex gloves in the jacket pocket ready to put on over your regular(non waterproof yet warm) gloves should a heavy shower come be such a bad idea??
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

thekooman wrote: »
    +1 for the neoprene gloves as well but anything below 7 degrees with rain and you'll be freezing in them. i sometimes put on liner gloves, latex and then the Castelli divulios on the top of them as neoprene isn't windproof.

Yep neoprene is great in cold and dry conditions. If it rains, make sure you have a spare pair of gloves you can change into I learnt this the hard way last year.. My hands were so cold I couldn't get the gloves off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

I do quite a long commute in the mornings and also suffer similar problems to yourself. I blame the hurling when I was younger as I got a few belts on the fingers and therefore circulation isn't as good. Anyway, I had used a pair of Santini neoprene gloves before which a friend gave me for 1/2 an hour and didn't like them (granted they were a bit big for me and my hands were already cold). I had used a lot of different gloves up to that point (Specialized, Sportful, Endura) and found no good solution but was recommended the Assos rain gloves which are also neoprene. Picked them in in cyclesuperstore and have been using them the last 3 weeks. One cold morning last week and my fingers were slightly cold but heated up quickly. This morning was 2deg according to the Garmin and I had a pair of Adidas liners inside the Assos and they worked well. They got cold but warmed up again after a while. Good idea to change position of hands regularly in 1st 30 mins of the spin. Anyway, these are by far the best gloves I've used and provide excellent dexterity even with the liners. A bit pricy but cold hands/feet over long distance is painful so IMO worth spending a bit extra on these. Apparently Endura do a good neoprene glove and maybe Castelli also which are cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Ive worn the Sealskinz Extra Cold gloves and the extra grip ones and find them great, Ive bought a second pair of the extra cold ones and would highly recommend wearing a lighter pair underneath as on long rides i find it can be hard to get the balance exactly right and have at times sweated lightly in them. They are difficult to wash inside and so by wearing the thin liners you just need to wash the liners. Ive been so impressed i use them now also when skiing. I did manage to get mine for €30 quid though.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

A great tip I got last year was to get some surgical gloves and wear them underneath your normal gloves. Kept my hands dry as anything when it rained (although a bit clammy) and that little bit warmer. About a tenner for a box of them from the chemist. Try it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

I have extremely bad circulation in hands and feet. I tried surgical gloves as liners last year in the cold weather but didn't really like it. I found my hands felt cold and uncomfortable to begin with, and then clammy and uncomfortable when they eventually heated up.

This year I'm planning on trying out Sealskinz Handlebar Mittens (lobster type gloves) with some sort of liners. They seem to get good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Another tip is to get the blood flowing in advance of the spin. Jug/bowl/pot (whatever takes your fancy) of very hot water and one of cold water. Alternate hands between both.

Just a quick heads up. The merino sealskinz that are normally 45 euro in halfords are 15 euro in the high viz colors.
    They are waterproof wooly gloves... Identical ones in black are 45. The yellow look better.
    This was in halfords in limerick this eve...
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

I have these ones and find them great , I'd say I'll be taking them out of storage soon enough :(
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/castelli-diluvio-glove/rp-prod117752

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Just a quick heads up. The merino sealskinz that are normally 45 euro in halfords are 15 euro in the high viz colors.
    They are waterproof wooly gloves... Identical ones in black are 45. The yellow look better.
    This was in halfords in limerick this eve...
    Marty.

In store only? Doesn't appear to be the case online,.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I have Craft lobster type mitts I got from the Rose website and they're great in the cold. Haven't worn them too long in the wet to see how well they perform yet, but I've not found anything warmer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...I tried surgical gloves as liners last year in the cold weather but didn't really like it....
    They are very effective when worn once your outer glove becomes totally soaked especially on a long ride such as an audax - I don't think they are recommended just as a liner in cold weather.

TK Maxx had thin glove liners for sale yesterday (St Stephen's Green). They also had a large range of winter gloves on sale (although many were skiing gloves which tend to have a bulky cuff).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

Prenda's Air Tunnel gloves are the best I've used by a long stretch. With a very light liner underneath I have no problem with -deg temps. Without the liners down to very low single digit is fine.

http://www.prendas.co.uk/prendas-ciclismo-winter-airtunnel-gloves.html

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    In store only? Doesn't appear to be the case online,.....

Maybe its just instore, it doesnt say "special offer" or anything... there were a few pairs left...think i took the last mediums on the shelf(black ones are right beside them for €45!)

I wore them last night...felt bulky at first but got really used to them really quick and they are very very comfy and VERY grippy.

It wasnt raining so cant comment on their performance in that regard.

I also have a pair of sealskinz "all weather"...these ones are not quite as warm as them but they are plenty warm enough for this time of year.
    Good value whatever way you look at it :)
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Good review for the Gore Xenon Gortex gloves

€86 from Wiggle (all good reviews inc one from cyclist at -4° + one terrible review)

• Advertisement

....I wore them last night...felt bulky at first but got really used to them really quick and they are very very comfy and VERY grippy.

It wasnt raining...
    Not near cold enough yet to test gloves. You really need to be on an 8 hour ride, in constant rain and a temperature not going above 5 degrees to test them properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭bwalsh1983

I have Craft lobster type mitts I got from the Rose website and they're great in the cold. Haven't worn them too long in the wet to see how well they perform yet, but I've not found anything warmer

I have the individual finger siberian gloves that are the same make up as the lobster mitts. One day in the wet and you will know all about it, hands like ice blocks after a soaking, going for liner/latex/neoprene this winter.

Not near cold enough yet to test gloves. You really need to be on an 8 hour ride, in constant rain and a temperature not going above 5 degrees to test them properly.

8 hours on a bike??...you mustn't have kids!!

Ill have to leave that test to someone else ;)

8 hours on a bike??...you mustn't have kids!!
    I was picking a mid-range figure - sometimes I do 12 hours or more but I'm in the halfpenny place compared to some lads/ladies here.

...and I'm not childless! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

I was picking a mid-range figure - sometimes I do 12 hours or more but I'm in the halfpenny place compared to some lads/ladies here.

...and I'm not childless! ;)

In Winter ????

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭bwalsh1983

In Winter ????

Nah, he has to keep them all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

In Winter ????

Yep...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Plastik wrote: »
    Prenda's Air Tunnel gloves are the best I've used by a long stretch. With a very light liner underneath I have no problem with -deg temps. Without the liners down to very low single digit is fine.

http://www.prendas.co.uk/prendas-ciclismo-winter-airtunnel-gloves.html

Like the look of these. The Castelli Diluvio sound good too though a lot of the reviews on Wiggle indicate the hands get sweaty - not necessarily a problem as long as the neoprene keeps them warm, but if the Prendas gloves can do a similar job to the neoprene without the sweaty factor, that sounds even better.

I currently use some fairly thin merino wool glove liners inside some basic Chiba windstopper gloves - the merino makes it a decent setup but fingertips do get frozen if it's both cold and wet. Would probably use the liners inside the Prendas gloves so would opt for XL by default as hands are reasonably big, they only have up to L listed on the site - did you find sizing to be on the large or small side? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

You could go mad and buy yourself a pair of these
    http://www.rapha.cc/eu/en/shop/deep-winter-gloves/product/DWG02

Some people here might take the piss what with all that african goats hair/leather weaved by virgin beauties and all that mularcy.But I think they would last a long time.I haven't got a pair myself but would like a pair but having said that I have some Rapha items, overshoes and winter cap and they are super .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

codie wrote: »
    You could go mad and buy yourself a pair of these
    http://www.rapha.cc/eu/en/shop/deep-winter-gloves/product/DWG02

Some people here might take the piss what with all that african goats hair/leather weaved by virgin beauties and all that mularcy.But I think they would last a long time.I haven't got a pair myself but would like a pair but having said that I have some Rapha items, overshoes and winter cap and they are super .

They look good but at € 130 !!!!!!

Advertisement