Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hi vis discussion thread (read post #1)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

TBF
    Investigator"The defendant's driving at the time fell below what would be expected of a competent and careful driver in all the circumstances."
    I think I have told this one before about the Garda on Georges St. Pulling over a car who ran the red through a junction, he pulled her over when she got stuck in traffic and asked her why she had done it, to which she responded, the sun was in my eyes so I couldn't see in front of me. To which he took the fairly common sense approach of telling her (can't remember the exact wording) if she can't see in front of her, she shouldn't fuppin proceed forward.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm a 6ft 2in man.

I'm fairly certain that if I cycled wearing a just a bra and thong that I would be highly conspicuous on the road.

Since it's plain common sense to adopt any safety measure that makes you even a little bit more visible, I should therefore cycle in a bra and thong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

CramCycle wrote: »
    I think I have told this one before about the Garda on Georges St. Pulling over a car who ran the red through a junction, he pulled her over when she got stuck in traffic and asked her why she had done it, to which she responded, the sun was in my eyes so I couldn't see in front of me. To which he took the fairly common sense approach of telling her (can't remember the exact wording) if she can't see in front of her, she shouldn't fuppin proceed forward.
    Depressingly, and amazingly, the case in this post dispenses with that excellent advice:
    The truly jaw-dropping moment in this case comes at the end, when the judge allegedly states that the jury “will be directed to ignore Highway Code [rules 93 and 237, advising drivers to] slow down or stop if dazzled [because the] Highway Code is not law” and that the defendant’s failure to adhere to such rules “could be used as evidence of without due care and attention, or could be ignored“.
    http://beyondthekerb.wordpress.com/2014/02/12/futility/#more-571

(This is all UK stuff. I don't know how bad it is in our courts.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

There is a relevant, and disturbing, article in the Fit Magazine section of the Indo today, entitled Wear high-viz gear – it's foolish and selfish not to. It’s an article by Gerry Duffy and it is aimed at runners who run at night.

I’m not opposed to people wearing hi-viz, that is entirely their choice, but I am opposed to the idea that it’s essential. Runners are a little different to cyclists in that it’s much easier to attach decent lights to a bike that to your body, so I can see why runners might favour hi-viz as a possibly more convenient option than powerful lights (not to mention the fact that runners don't necessarily run on the road). However, this article goes way beyond recommending hi-viz, it bypasses all rationality and basically pins responsibility for the safety of other road users on the runner who “refuses” (the article’s wording) to wear hi-viz. Here is where the article describes people “refusing” to wear hi-viz while on a stretch of *footpath* which the article describes as being “perhaps a third of a mile” long:
    Not only is it foolish, it is selfish. It has no regard for the consequences that might occur, were any kind of a freak occurrence to happen, which happens somewhere every single day.

It has no regard for other road users or the people who might be in my car, the car behind me or anybody else in the vicinity. I have been driving for nearly 30 years and have seen or been made aware of hundreds of unexpected occurrences on our roads. An unexpected manoeuvre, a driver taking unwell, poor road conditions, to name but three. All can impact a driver's behaviour.
    We have a duty of care not to be a hazard – if not to help ourselves – then surely to those around us. By slipping on a reflective vest or jacket you are as bright as an illuminated Christmas tree. Surely it's not too much to ask.

So there you go, if you don’t wear hi-viz then you are responsible should a driver “taking unwell” or carrying out “an unexpected manoeuvre” plough you down, or should their passengers be hurt, while you are running (or walking, presumably) on a footpath, according to the author. Presumably a hi-viz vest will casually bat away any car that comes hurtling towards you in such circumstances, whereas without such a vest you are somehow defenceless. It would be easy to dismiss this nonsense article on the basis that the author has inadvertently nudged his hysteria meter up to 11. I’d like to think that he’ll re-read his own article in a calmer frame of mind and wonder how he screwed up his own logic so badly, but sadly I think it’s really yet another demonstration of the hysterical mindset that has taken hold in society generally.

That mindset sees dangers everywhere and sees hi-viz as some kind of miraculous protection against those dangers. Nothing new there, unfortunately. What is more sinister in this particular case though is that the author doesn’t hesitate to blame those who “refuse” to wear hi-viz, in fact he clearly states they are responsible not just for themselves but also for the safety of passengers in cars in addition to the safety of the drivers. It seems like the barrier to blaming the victim (and in the circumstances the author describes, someone running/walking on a footpath truly is a victim here, hi-viz endowed or not) is being lowered further all the time.

were any kind of a freak occurrence to happen

Anyone who counsels others to take precautions against freak occurrences is a lunatic, a neurotic, or doesn't actually know what a freak occurrence is.

• Advertisement

The "selfish" bit is very James Cracknell as well.

(On a mostly irrelevant academic note, I think hi-viz on the torso of runners is more effective than the equivalent on cyclists, as running results in biomotion of the upper body, unlike cycling.)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

"The excuse of "but I only use the footpaths" doesn't hold for three reasons. Almost certainly, at some point, you will leave the footpath, however briefly. Second, it is setting a bad example to children"

What sets a bad example to children is writing illogical bullsht in national newspapers.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

This kind of illogical scaremongering and victim-blaming is bad enough.

The fact that is so often unquestioningly accepted is worse.

Nobody, from the people making these pronouncements, to those accepting them as gospel, appears to be capable of critical assessment of the arguments they are making.

doozerie wrote: »
    that it’s much easier to attach decent lights to a bike that to your body, so I can see why runners might favour hi-viz as a possibly more convenient option than powerful lights (not to mention the fact that runners don't necessarily run on the road).
    I noticed when driving up near Stepaside the number of runners with the reflective strips with Hi Vis that had little red LED lights built in. They are great and particularly useful where some drivers may not use their full beams as they are only in a dark stretch for 30seconds, they are not strong but they stand out and cost almost nothing (I got 4 of them for less than the price of the batteries that were in them from Deal Extreme and also seen them in Tesco and either LIDL/ALDI for not much more over the year)
    tomasrojo wrote: »
    (On a mostly irrelevant academic note, I think hi-viz on the torso of runners is more effective than the equivalent on cyclists, as running results in biomotion of the upper body, unlike cycling.)
    Much akin to the idea that Reflectors on cyclists are more useful on their legs and pedals (I actually thought you out a link up to a study on it but I could be mistaken). I think the theory being that even if a driver does not notice the cyclist immediately, something will trigger the recognition of human movement, also the fact that this is where Dims(lights not people) will hit first does not hurt either.

• Advertisement

Much akin to the idea that Reflectors on cyclists are more useful on their legs and pedals (I actually thought you out a link up to a study on it but I could be mistaken). I think the theory being that even if a driver does not notice the cyclist immediately, something will trigger the recognition of human movement, also the fact that this is where Dims(lights not people) will hit first does not hurt either.

Yeah, exactly that. I think I brought it up indirectly, as it's mentioned on the Wikipedia page about High-Visibility Clothing.

I posted some other links before that are interesting:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2009/10/14/see-me-don-t-kill-me.html
    In numerous studies conducted by Owens and others, drivers spotted pedestrians with strips of retroreflective tape attached to points known to invoke the perception of biomotion significantly better than pedestrians using any other approach to visibility.

This little animation shows how points of light judiciously placed attracts the eye, and makes it clear that a walker is ahead in the dark. If you mess around with the sliders, you can make the walker have a feminine gait, or a heavier person's gait, and so on (female-light-nervous-happy is quite an amusing setting). So a lot of information can be conveyed by relatively little.

http://www.biomotionlab.ca/Demos/BMLwalker.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Re: "The truly jaw-dropping moment in this case comes at the end, when the judge allegedly states that the jury “will be directed to ignore Highway Code [rules 93 and 237, advising drivers to] slow down or stop if dazzled [because the] Highway Code is not law” and that the defendant’s failure to adhere to such rules “could be used as evidence of without due care and attention, or could be ignored“.

I assume the judge is correct in terms of the law.

What does seem odd is the choice of language, which needs some parsing to grasp exactly what the judge is saying (at least to me). He seems to intend to say something like

The Highway code is not the law. It is only guidance - you can only make your decision on the basis of the law.

You may decide the fact that the defendent did not slow down or stop when dazzled [this does not appear to be in dispute based on my reading of the report - NMG] is evidence of failure to drive with due care and attention or you may decide it is not. It is your choice.

Whereas the actual words could be misunderstood to mean "not slowing down or stopping when dazzled is not against the law" leading to "you don't have to stop or slow down when dazzled" etc etc

I wonder did any of the jury ask the judge to clarify what he/she meant?

I understood it as the judge saying, it's not the law to slow down when dazzled no matter what the prosecutors claim. When in fact he should have instructed them to decide whether not slowing down in the undisputed situation constituted a criminal act under whatever guise the prosecution are pressing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

On 11th November last, at 11.30am, I was knocked from my bike by a driver, who drove from a minor road onto a major road. The Gardai and ambulance were called. I was completely in the right. It was a bright and sunny morning.
    Two Gardai arrived at the scene. I was lying on the ground, the first question, I was asked, was "why weren't you wearing Hi-Viz.?. My long suffering wife arrived, while I was still on the ground. I told her, I wasn't in imminent danger. I asked her to get the car driver's name. She went to speak to him. She told me afterwards, that the first thing, he said to her was "he wasn't wearing a hi-viz jacket. The ambulance arrived. As I was being loaded onto it, one of the medics said to me "you should have worn HiViz.
    The above is all perfectly true.
    Funny thing is, I'm 6 foot one, and I was on a bright red bike.
    The driver, later admitted, that he hadn't seen me.
    I drove the route with my wife the following day, at the same time. At the place, where the accident happened, the sun would have been low in the sky, directly in the driver's eyes.
    I have no doubt, he was dazzled by the Sun, but carried on anyway.

FFS I can only imagine that not what one of them asked the driver, why didn't you stop? Twice in the last week I have seen drivers hit from a minor to major road without even slowing and cars having to brake to narrowly avoid them. His first words to your wife should have been, "I hope your husband is alright" regardless of blame or belief of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I'm a 6ft 2in man.

I'm fairly certain that if I cycled wearing a just a bra and thong that I would be highly conspicuous on the road.

Since it's plain common sense to adopt any safety measure that makes you even a little bit more visible, I should therefore cycle in a bra and thong.

Pics or gtfo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Eamonnator wrote: »
    On 11th November last, at 11.30am, I was knocked from my bike by a driver, who drove from a minor road onto a major road. The Gardai and ambulance were called. I was completely in the right. It was a bright and sunny morning.
    Two Gardai arrived at the scene. I was lying on the ground, the first question, I was asked, was "why weren't you wearing Hi-Viz.?. My long suffering wife arrived, while I was still on the ground. I told her, I wasn't in imminent danger. I asked her to get the car driver's name. She went to speak to him. She told me afterwards, that the first thing, he said to her was "he wasn't wearing a hi-viz jacket. The ambulance arrived. As I was being loaded onto it, one of the medics said to me "you should have worn HiViz.
    The above is all perfectly true.
    Funny thing is, I'm 6 foot one, and I was on a bright red bike.
    The driver, later admitted, that he hadn't seen me.
    I drove the route with my wife the following day, at the same time. At the place, where the accident happened, the sun would have been low in the sky, directly in the driver's eyes.
    I have no doubt, he was dazzled by the Sun, but carried on anyway.

I was knocked down on the road bike twice both times wearing hi viz and lights and one of the drivers went through a red light to hit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭DaveR1000

Back to the OP - would be more in governments line to remove VAT from Helmets and other safety equipment, they were all guns blazing 2 years ago with the RSA for motorcyclists to wear hi-vis whatnots and were met with huge resistance.

I personally do wear hi-viz but also use my lights during the day - DRL for bikes makes more sense imo

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wearing hi-viz makes you invisible.

If you want to gain access to places you shouldn't be apparently all you need to do is wear hi-viz and carry a toolbox , chances are no one will even look at you.

Seriously we've all walked past workmen in hi-viz and not even noticed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I understood it as the judge saying, it's not the law to slow down when dazzled no matter what the prosecutors claim. When in fact he should have instructed them to decide whether not slowing down in the undisputed situation constituted a criminal act under whatever guise the prosecution are pressing

That's the problem with people (as in the legal profession) who have excellent command of a language that looks and sounds like spoken english but is deceptively different.

I agree with you the judge should have been crystal clear in more plain language as to what he intend to convey. In day to day parlance "ignore" tends to mean "disregard it cos it's crap", whereas his/her honour was probably trying to say "decide whether not stopping was dangerous etc." - No wonder legal costs are so high.

I once worked in the aircraft industry and many of the maintenance manuals were re-written in a simplified version of english to allow non-native speakers understand it better (english is the working language of that industry). It usually took us native speakers a few attempts to understand what it meant! Maybe the legal profession are so inured (ok ok "used to") the need for precision in their language that they find it hard to effectively communicate with regular jo(e)s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

That's the problem with people (as in the legal profession) who have excellent command of a language that looks and sounds like spoken english but is deceptively different.

I agree with you the judge should have been crystal clear in more plain language as to what he intend to convey. In day to day parlance "ignore" tends to mean "disregard it cos it's crap", whereas his/her honour was probably trying to say "decide whether not stopping was dangerous etc." - No wonder legal costs are so high.

I once worked in the aircraft industry and many of the maintenance manuals were re-written in a simplified version of english to allow non-native speakers understand it better (english is the working language of that industry). It usually took us native speakers a few attempts to understand what it meant! Maybe the legal profession are so inured (ok ok "used to") the need for precision in their language that they find it hard to effectively communicate with regular jo(e)s.

They do not have an excellent command of the English language, they simply have specific understandings of particular words. The lay person will have a more fluid understanding of particular words according to the situation in which they find themselves, a lawyer, within their working environment, has a stricter definition for reasons of clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Wearing hi-viz makes you invisible.

If you want to gain access to places you shouldn't be apparently all you need to do is wear hi-viz and carry a toolbox , chances are no one will even look at you.

Seriously we've all walked past workmen in hi-viz and not even noticed them.

wearing a suit used to do that where i used to work (pre hi viz mania) we had several laptops stolen guys just walked past the security guard - you were supposed to have a security pass - guess hi viz would do it now.

actually i've caught myself a couple of times not seeing pedestrians in hi viz its like my brain blanks it out, always see the ones with lights on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Gem of a headline in yesterday's Indo Fit mag:

295118.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Novacastrian

I'm new to all this cycling/ commuting. I commute 50 kms per day into St. Stephens Green.

My thoughts are this: I have 7 lights; 2 on helmet, 1 front of bike, 2 rear of bike and 2 LED reflective bands around both legs, I also wear Hi-vis (and a helmet but that is a different debate) . Why, you may ask? Because I have a wife & kids and I want to go home every night to see them, and so I want to minimise the dangers as much as possible to which I am exposed daily. I believe that the more chances I have of me being seen, increases my chances of returning home.

Sometimes I think it is the people that don't wear safety gear in general are the ones with fewer responsibilities to others, e.g. family. These are just my feelings, its just what I do to be as safe as possible.

I, also, from my own observations over the past 6 months know for sure that I can see hi-vis wearing cyclists from further away than non-wearing.

buffalo wrote: »
    Gem of a headline in yesterday's Indo Fit mag:

295118.jpg

I "stupidly" and "selfishly" "refused" to wrap this earlier post in hi-viz which probably explains why you missed it :p

My negligence means that I should really hold myself personally responsible for any harm that comes to anyone using the Internet, or their friends and families, as an direct/indirect/unrelated result of my "invisible" post. I feel terrible, and an angry Gerry Duffy is dropping round later to give me a proper hiding.

goslie wrote:
    Sometimes I think it is the people that don't wear safety gear in general are the ones with fewer responsibilities to others, e.g. family.

Wrong. And offensively condescending to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

I "stupidly" and "selfishly" "refused" to wrap this earlier post in hi-viz which probably explains why you missed it :p

My negligence means that I should really hold myself personally responsible for any harm that comes to anyone using the Internet, or their friends and families, as an direct/indirect/unrelated result of my "invisible" post. I feel terrible, and an angry Gerry Duffy is dropping round later to give me a proper hiding.

Ah ****e, missed that post. I'll go flagellate myself now with my hi-viz whip.

Wrong. And offensively condescending to boot.

I have two children and a partner who I fully intend on making it home too every day. In fact since I have relaxed my attitudes, the only motorists I give out to are those who nearly stop me getting home to my family. I drove in today, sun was glaring, I noticed in my rear view mirror that there was no difference between Hi vis and black with the Sun directly behind a person, and from a side on view, Black seemed to work better (I seen daragh_ the other morning in black, he was the only cyclist at the junction I could make out until the convoy of 8 hi vis jackets used him as a shield against the wind). That said I could barely see the cars when I took my sunglasses down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Novacastrian

Sorry, I thought the next sentence qualified the tone....
    These are just my feelings, its just what I do to be as safe as possible.

I have no intention of being offensive or condescending to anyone. It is a personal choice to wear what we want, I don't look down on anyone and I hope nobody looks down on me for my clothes/ gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Surely silver high-viz reflective material is more effective on unlit country roads than on city streets?

I commute over 30kms per day on unlit country roads and I can see high-viz strips at driveways etc from a long way off, before the beam of my own lights hits them.

Advertisement