Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UK licence after Brexit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

dolanbaker wrote: »
    Assuming the EU accepts a delay, anyway swapped mine today and so did the missus.

Sorry didn’t see your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/brexit-holders-of-uk-licences-face-time-off-road-while-awaiting-new-irish-permits-1.3831922
    Holders of UK driving licences who have applied to swap them for Irish permits due to Brexit have been told they must stay off the road possibly for weeks while awaiting new licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Blisterman wrote: »

technically yes, they should have their license on their person, but practically? They're wasting their time mentioning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

I really don't understand why the UK's decision to recognise EU licence holders in any event has not been reciprocated, entire system is a joke

The_Chap wrote: »
    I really don't understand why the UK's decision to recognise EU licence holders in any event has not been reciprocated, entire system is a joke

As I said above, it appears that either a) our government doesn't have the power to reciprocate or b) they just don't want to.

I've sent emails to various politicians inc Shane Ross about this and have got no answer, so I don't know what the situation actually is.

I agree, it's a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,861 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The_Chap wrote: »

The UK is panicking the EU isn't. We don't know what the UK is going to do, look at the rumours about food quality being impacted, and then think what they might do with other things which needs mutual recognition, especially when they are considering pulling out of the leave agreement if they agree to it, so we are better off waiting.

You can currently change the licence and the UK is leaving the EU so apart from not being able to get penalty points what use is a UK licence in Ireland, or the EU, now?

Del2005 wrote: »
    The UK is panicking the EU isn't. We don't know what the UK is going to do, look at the rumours about food quality being impacted, and then think what they might do with other things which needs mutual recognition, especially when they are considering pulling out of the leave agreement if they agree to it, so we are better off waiting.

You can currently change the licence and the UK is leaving the EU so apart from not being able to get penalty points what use is a UK licence in Ireland, or the EU, now?

You can call it panicking if you want, but to me it just looks like a sensible gesture that reassures residents and taxpayers and means they can avoid inconvenience.

The Irish Government obviously doesn't want to do this in return, and instead is lecturing UK license holders (many of which are Irish taxpayers and citizens) about getting an Irish license, at massive inconvenience to them - and of course a cost.

So great, the Irish government isn't 'panicking'. It's just outsourcing panic to people who have to get a new license and are now being told that tough luck, we aren't capable of processing all the requests in time so you'll be off the roads. Nice.

BTW I have an Irish license, I am not affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

You get a driver number from NDLS on.the receipt when you exchange and a photocopy of your UK licence. I'd say that would be good enough if stopped?

Exchanged mine on Mar 5th, new one despatched today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Still got the UK licence, nobody knows how this will pan out, could be put forward to June ,even later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Goog Lord, that's vile - anyone know whether this 'advice' was given when exchanges were done before the 'Brexit crisis'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Dressing gown

What about renewing your old Irish drivers licence (provided you have had in the last ten years) rather than exchanging your UK one? I spoke to the NDLS office about this and got into a slightly heated debate with them because they said I wasn’t allowed to renew my Old Irish licence that I had to exchange my UK one. Now presumably the former option is far quicker and cheaper so I can’t help but feel as another poster has mentioned that this whole thing is a bit of a money spinner. Interestingly she told me in the event of a no deal brexit I would be able to renew my Irish licence; this isn’t in the media or the NDLS guidance anywhere and I don’t know whether I should believe it or not but clearly it’s a much better option to sit tight if that’s the case. I’ve very young kids to ferry to and from school/childcare that all finish at different times and it’s too far walk and only one can cycle so not being able to drive for a month is not an attractive option....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,773 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

That's handy. I exchanged mine last week and was told I'll have a new one in 6 weeks. Being self employed and needing to use my van every day due to tools, materials and ladders it won't suit me to just "stay off the road".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What about renewing your old Irish drivers licence (provided you have had in the last ten years) rather than exchanging your UK one? I spoke to the NDLS office about this and got into a slightly heated debate with them because they said I wasn’t allowed to renew my Old Irish licence that I had to exchange my UK one. Now presumably the former option is far quicker and cheaper so I can’t help but feel as another poster has mentioned that this whole thing is a bit of a money spinner. Interestingly she told me in the event of a no deal brexit I would be able to renew my Irish licence; this isn’t in the media or the NDLS guidance anywhere and I don’t know whether I should believe it or not but clearly it’s a much better option to sit tight if that’s the case. I’ve very young kids to ferry to and from school/childcare that all finish at different times and it’s too far walk and only one can cycle so not being able to drive for a month is not an attractive option....

It's not permitted to hold two EU licenses or a license from a recognised state and an Irish license. Just FYI.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭hognef

CJhaughey wrote: »
    It's not permitted to hold two EU licenses or a license from a recognised state and an Irish license. Just FYI.

Presumably the point was that, after Brexit, a UK license won't be an EU license anymore, and nor a license from a recognised country (otherwise, we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place, right?), at which point it should indeed be possible to hold a UK one and an EU one.

I have my doubts, though, over the idea of renewing an exchanged license, as, surely, that license doesn't really exist anymore, precisely because it was exchanged for another one?

I suppose the main question that many here have, would the Gardai target drivers known to have UK licences to "bump up" the figures, or would they do the same as they do with most (technical) laws and turn a blind eye?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

dolanbaker wrote: »
    I suppose the main question that many here have, would the Gardai target drivers known to have UK licences to "bump up" the figures, or would they do the same as they do with most (technical) laws and turn a blind eye?
    Do you think they would download a list or just work from local knowledge? I can't see either happening, tbh.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MotoTourist

I have just read the whole thread, having found out about this only yesterday.
    I am from UK, resident in ROI for 3 years.
    I have a UK licence. I don't want to change it because I have entitlement to drive mini buses (not for hire) and tow trailers which I would lose.

I am going to take the risk and NOT exchange.

Here is my thinking:
    NDLS have stated my license will not be valid >29 March and recommend a swap, but this statement is the only one they can make without speculation and assumptions. They cant speculate on legislation or timescales, they can't assume the government will make a patch. Speculation and assumptions are my call...
    (Plus cynics might suggest that a sudden rush of applications at 55e per head would be appealing to a private contractor such as NDLS).

UK has already agreed to recognise Irish and other EU licences in UK for UK residents.
    Ireland is likely to mirror that because
    i)reciprocity

ii)Ireland is unlikely to belligerently insist the UK licences aren't valid just to make a political point as it only spites Irish residents with UK licenses.

iii)overnight legislation in Ireland is possible (and I think likely) in order to quickly recognise a UK license in the same way as it always was recognised.
    This will benefit businesses and individuals to have a seamless transition on this subject, plus it would make so many people exiles from the road that the government would have to act in principle if only to avoid the country suddenly having thousands of unlicenced and therefore uninsured drivers on the road on 30th March.

iv) Common Travel Area. The ethos and spirit of the CTA will continue, and both sides have agreed that this will be maintained in any outcome. Obviously, the CTA agreement and legislation are two separate things but the licence anomaly would fly in the face of the agreement (which pre-dates UK membership of EU) and would have to be addressed sharpish.

v)a no-deal outcome would make UK like Canada and S. Africa where recognition of licenses would allow a year's grace before swapping without the need for a test. ie I could still drive, I would eventually have to surrender the categories I am striving to keep but at least I tried.

I don't want to spend 55 euro and lose categories only to find out on 30th March that it is all sorted (plus there is likely to be a short delay to the exit anyway as of today).

** Disclaimer: I am not recommending others to do this, just explaining my rationale for my chosen course of action!

Esel wrote: »
    Do you think they would download a list or just work from local knowledge? I can't see either happening, tbh.

That's my thinking as well, hopefully, the replacement licence will arrive before I need to produce one at a checkpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭rameire

Goog Lord, that's vile - anyone know whether this 'advice' was given when exchanges were done before the 'Brexit crisis'?

My wife went to her appointment in Trim on the 2nd, new license turned up yesterday 20th. 18 days later.
    was provided a slip proving she had a license but was told not to leave the state as it was only for driving in the Republic.
    also got extra categories added. moped and tractor. I added them for her, she has no idea why, but you never know.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I have just read the whole thread, having found out about this only yesterday.
    I am from UK, resident in ROI for 3 years.
    I have a UK licence. I don't want to change it because I have entitlement to drive mini buses (not for hire) and tow trailers which I would lose.

I am going to take the risk and NOT exchange.

Here is my thinking:
    NDLS have stated my license will not be valid >29 March and recommend a swap, but this statement is the only one they can make without speculation and assumptions. They cant speculate on legislation or timescales, they can't assume the government will make a patch. Speculation and assumptions are my call...
    (Plus cynics might suggest that a sudden rush of applications at 55e per head would be appealing to a private contractor such as NDLS).

UK has already agreed to recognise Irish and other EU licences in UK for UK residents.
    i)reciprocity

ii)Ireland is unlikely to belligerently insist the UK licences aren't valid just to make a political point as it only spites Irish residents with UK licenses.

iii)overnight legislation in Ireland is possible (and I think likely) in order to quickly recognise a UK license in the same way as it always was recognised.
    This will benefit businesses and individuals to have a seamless transition on this subject, plus it would make so many people exiles from the road that the government would have to act in principle if only to avoid the country suddenly having thousands of unlicenced and therefore uninsured drivers on the road on 30th March.

iv) Common Travel Area. The ethos and spirit of the CTA will continue, and both sides have agreed that this will be maintained in any outcome. Obviously, the CTA agreement and legislation are two separate things but the licence anomaly would fly in the face of the agreement (which pre-dates UK membership of EU) and would have to be addressed sharpish.

v)a no-deal outcome would make UK like Canada and S. Africa where recognition of licenses would allow a year's grace before swapping without the need for a test. ie I could still drive, I would eventually have to surrender the categories I am striving to keep but at least I tried.

I don't want to spend 55 euro and lose categories only to find out on 30th March that it is all sorted (plus there is likely to be a short delay to the exit anyway as of today).

** Disclaimer: I am not recommending others to do this, just explaining my rationale for my chosen course of action!

As to your points:

i) reciprocity is assumed, but this is not an Ireland/UK issue, it's an EU/UK issue.

ii)your insurer may take a different view, esp in light of a claim. And maybe the AGS for the same reason.

iii) see i)

iv) CTA is not defined by licences of anything, but by movement of people.

v) UK/Canada/S Africa are all Commonwealth members: the comparison isn't relevant to RoI.

I'm still struggling - and pardon my ignorance - why you say if you swap your licence, that you'll lose categories. Why is that ?

Finally, regarding your UK licence, have you checked whether a non-resident of the UK is allowed to hold a UK licence in the first place ? Does it not assume you are domiciled in the UK ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    As to your points:

i) reciprocity is assumed, but this is not an Ireland/UK issue, it's an EU/UK issue.

Is it?

Genuine question, does the EU prevent us accepting whatever licenses we wish to? I did not think that was the case, my understanding was that different EU countries accepted different licenses from other countries and that it was entirely up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,773 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

galwaytt wrote: »

I'm still struggling - and pardon my ignorance - why you say if you swap your licence, that you'll lose categories. Why is that ?

I lost a few categories also changing over... Something to do with needing a medical certificate to enable me to keep them.

mfceiling wrote: »
    I lost a few categories also changing over... Something to do with needing a medical certificate to enable me to keep them.
    You do for HGV & PSV as far as a know, otherwise you'll lose them

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Dressing gown

CJhaughey wrote: »

Yeah but why can’t you hand over your UK licence and say, I’d like to renew not exchange? They are separate mechanisms. The NDLS told me your old licence is voided as soon as you hand it over, so if she was correct there should be no issue with renewing an older Irish one...(which I think can be done on the day)....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

You lose UK country-specific categories (1nn etc.) which for me was minibus and >3.5t. you can keep the latter if you provide a medical cert. It was clarified earlier in the thread.

On the other hand I've been given moped and small tractor, so swings and roundabouts and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,026 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yeah but why can’t you hand over your UK licence and say, I’d like to renew not exchange? They are separate mechanisms. The NDLS told me your old licence is voided as soon as you hand it over, so if she was correct there should be no issue with renewing an older Irish one...(which I think can be done on the day)....
    Fundamentally, the licence isn't the document; the licence is the authority to drive. The document is merely a convenient form of evidence that you have that authority. So the notion that you can cancel/transfer your current licence document but also renew your old licence document is misplaced; they're bothe evidence of the same authorisation to drive, and if the transfer of that authorisation effectively cancels it (because you are instead authorised by another EU member state) then you can't renew the old document; the authorit to drive which it evidences is no longer valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,026 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

As I said above, it appears that either a) our government doesn't have the power to reciprocate or b) they just don't want to.

I've sent emails to various politicians inc Shane Ross about this and have got no answer, so I don't know what the situation actually is.
    Well, here's a thought:

Maybe IrlGov does intend to continue to recognise UK licences for Irish residents in the event of a no-deal Brexit, but are not saying so at this stage because of a policy of not saying anything that could look like facilitating a no-deal Brexit.

Instead of e-mailing politicians, get your TD to put down a parliamentary question for the Minister, asking what the policy on this is, why that policy has been adopted, and what consideration has been given to continued recognition of UK licences held by Irish residents. If in fact there are substantive reasons for not continuing to recognise UK licences for Irish residents once the UK leaves the EU, the answer to that question should disclose them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

i)reciprocity

This is all wishful thinking. Yes, they will recognise UK licences, which means they will allow you swap one for an Irish one. They will allow a year's grace, but you have been here 3 years already. The CTA has existed since the 1920s but for most of that time you were required to swap your licence if you moved.

You may get some time, but if the UK leaves the writing is on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

What’s the latest? My girlfriend needs to exchange her UK licence before Brexit. We were holding out to see if there was going to be a deal. We are away in the UK next week so would have to do it today (for a March 29th leaving date)

Am I right in thinking that the date is extended till May if there’s a deal (and a deal means no need to change??) or April 12th if the deal fails in Westminster next week? So I think we can wait until we get home on April 3rd and exchange then if there’s no deal agreed in London next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,861 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

medoc wrote: »
    What’s the latest? My girlfriend needs to exchange her UK licence before Brexit. We were holding out to see if there was going to be a deal. We are away in the UK next week so would have to do it today (for a March 29th leaving date)

Am I right in thinking that the date is extended till May if there’s a deal (and a deal means no need to change??) or April 12th if the deal fails in Westminster next week? So I think we can wait until we get home on April 3rd and exchange then if there’s no deal agreed in London next week.

If there is no deal there will be a rush to exchange and since its been said that you can't drive will waiting for the exchange I'd do it ASAP.

Advertisement