Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Race tyre recommendations

• 18-03-2019 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Need to buy 2 new tyres for the racing season. Currently running gp4000ii's.

Has anyone any other recommendations? Has anyone tried the GP5000's?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I've been running Tufo Calibra Plus 25mm for 2 years, never punctured or suffered blowouts racing or training.

Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

paul-2008 wrote:
    Need to buy 2 new tyres for the racing season. Currently running gp4000ii's.

Nothing wrong with these.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm using the GP5000 at the minute, not sure if there is a huge benefit to them unless your at A2 and losing placings by inches, for A3 and A4, the GP4000SII are a fie tyre and almost indistinguishable from the GP5000 in most scenarios

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

CramCycle wrote: »
    I'm using the GP5000 at the minute, not sure if there is a huge benefit to them unless your at A2 and losing placings by inches, for A3 and A4, the GP4000SII are a fie tyre and almost indistinguishable from the GP5000 in most scenarios

Tyres aren't going to lose you a race. Dirty drivetrain and worn bearings might though.

On topic I'm tempted to switch to Vittoria corsas purely for the gumwalls.

Tyres aren't going to lose you a race. Dirty drivetrain and worn bearings might though.

On topic I'm tempted to switch to Vittoria corsas purely for the gumwalls.

That was kind of my point, no point in going for the GP5000 out of some belief you will do better on them. They are good tyres and I would recommend them but with the drop in price for the GP4000 recently, hard to see the point in getting the GP5000 unless on special offer. The GP4000SII last a race season without issue unlike some others, and on average are better than most

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

Thanks guys, just thought I'd check and see if there was anything else worth buying - not trying to buy to win races - just looking for something decent. Will look around and see where is cheapest for GP4000s ii's so! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Chain reaction have the 4000s II tyres at, what I think is good price. €28 or so,
    Can anybody improve on this?

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/continental-grand-prix-4000s-ii-road-tyre/rp-prod120460

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Chain reaction have the 4000s II tyres at, what I think is good price. €28 or so,
    Can anybody improve on this?

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/continental-grand-prix-4000s-ii-road-tyre/rp-prod120460

showing as €34.99 here after following that link..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I do apologise, I'm an idiot.
    My price was in sterling. Sorry.

paul-2008 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, just thought I'd check and see if there was anything else worth buying - not trying to buy to win races - just looking for something decent. Will look around and see where is cheapest for GP4000s ii's so! :)

Everyone has preferences, and probably insanely biased ones at that. i have had bad experiences with Schwalbe ones and won't touch them, but listen to reviews and others, there is no difference between them and the GP4000SII. There are probably faster tyres out there for racing but to me,that comes with increased risk of puncturing that I won't take, and as said above, i doubt I'd notice the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

CramCycle wrote: »
    I'm using the GP5000 at the minute, not sure if there is a huge benefit to them

If conditions turn messy they'd be slower to cause a spill IMO, the new compound really does seem to cement you to the ground. Might not win you a race but might save a broken bone that would destroy your season.

ED E wrote: »
    If conditions turn messy they'd be slower to cause a spill IMO, the new compound really does seem to cement you to the ground. Might not win you a race but might save a broken bone that would destroy your season.

True, I certainly felt better gripped to the road on the last two races, particularly on one or two corners where I feel I would have started to slip but that may be in my head, hard to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

paul-2008 wrote: »

Don't be deceived by the cheap price of

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/michelin-pro-3-black-grey-23c-tyres-tubes/rp-prod183094

They're light and fast yet remarkably sturdy

Not quite as cheap as the Michelin above but GP5000 are 42euro on Rose, and only 2euro shipping.
    The GP4000SII seems to be 33euro everywhere.

They're light and fast yet remarkably sturdy

I sweat by these. Pity the red sidewall version is no longer available. I both 6 of the grey ones the other day just to have them.

CramCycle wrote:
    Not quite as cheap as the Michelin above but GP5000 are 42euro on Rose, and only 2euro shipping. The GP4000SII seems to be 33euro everywhere.

Don't think I ever paid more than €36 for the 4000s anyway. Always were on offer somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

Myself and other lad I know were standing beside waiting for the race start, he had gp5000 on his wheels and mine were 4000. Can only say, that by touch 5000 felt a little tackier than mine, also had a tad different profile. He won the race as well, sure these were the tires that did the job :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Id agree regarding the change of compound on the gp5000 certainly feel tackier to the touch.

Last time I made a compromise on tyres is cost me a fractured pelvis and 4 months off so I stick with previously gp4000 and now gp5000

Advertisement