Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

The only way I'd play classic seriously is if they linked the old achievements and transmog to your live account otherwise I couldn't be arsed.

I don't even like the look of the old toons now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Can't wait to get to around lvl45 with my Ret Paladin, and then re-roll another class because of how awful it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

well i for one am enjoying my new druid even tho i have one already this is the first time i am enjoying boomkin because i dont like like a fat ass owl dude thing.
    Havent done any of the new stuff on my main yet, think il just keep on going with my new druid.

I'd love to level a Kul Tiran or Zandalari druid, but since i haven't been playing, it'd take me weeks to do the rep grind to unlock them, so **** that. Such an idiotic decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Kiith wrote: »
    I'd love to level a Kul Tiran or Zandalari druid, but since i haven't been playing, it'd take me weeks to do the rep grind to unlock them, so **** that. Such an idiotic decision.

You can't roll the new classes unless you've certainly rep? That's outrageous.
    Like I have for the last two xpacs, I'll resub for classic and will quit again after a month or two. I just don't have the time to dedicate to wow anymore.

• Advertisement

Yeah, all the Allied Races are locked behind a rep grind. Zandalari and Kul Tiran are both locked behind an exalted rep grind, plus some story quests.

I wouldn't mind the rep grinds if you could unlock the race and just race change but the force 110 grind fir the gear is stupid.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    So long as you unlock the race on one character, all other characters (if eligible) can be race-changed to that race. I've had Nightfallen, Mag'Har and now Zandalari and the only one I wanted heritage armor for were Mag'Har, so I levelled one of those up but didn't bother with Nightfallen - and certainly won't with Zandalari (all that gold is already a bit cliche when you originally intended to just be a ZandaPalla).

I've changed my Paladin, Warrior and Shaman to Zandalari (my War was exalted with them long ago), the other two haven't even done a sniff of the main campaigns or war campaigns, nevermind ground rep. You are only 'forced' to level to 110 as that race if you want their heritage armour, which makes sense. Furthermore, it is all Blizzards way of keeping people playing, but isn't too obnoxious to achieve. I did it for my Mag'Har Heritage Armor and race-changed one other at the time. I could change them all back to Nightfallen if I wanted.

I know how the system works quite well as i have race changed more times than my wallet would be happy with. I don't personally have a problem with either the rep requirements to unlock the toon or the level requirements for the gear. I do have a problem with both.

I have played this game long enough to have 2x every class in the game, i currently have 4 120's and at least 7 110's. So i just dont get why i should have to level a throwaway character to 110 just so i can get a set of armor.

The dwarves and the belfs had no such gating system bar exalted reputation with their cities. If i could farm reputation on my main for this i would have.

Well not everyone is oldschool and hard core as you are :P, even back in the day during CS you always liked your niches.

My point however is the redundancy of it all because i just got the maghar armour and now i have a 3rd hunter that i do nothing with.

I am the type of player that mains one character, i have weapon and skins unlocked on my main you cannot get anymore.

The current system is flawed in that it doesn't cater for people who race change. I don't mind having a challenge in place to do it, like the mage tower ect. Locking it behind a 20-110 grind is the laziest way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

I have quit the game after playing constantly since the US beta,The game feels dead and for me BFA utterly failed to keep me interested,end of an era

• Advertisement

As i said thats where we disagree, a big part of the new races is the cool armor that you get with them. My problem with it is that the unlocking mechanism is behind a 20-110 grind which is just blizzard being lazy when they could have made it a challenge if they wanted by other means.

If you like it as is good for you but you are by no means the authority on it, nor am I. I have also just finished leveling a character to 110 so i could get some armor and i still disagree with the system.

I now have an extra hunter that i will never play again. Where as had something challenging been in place on my main to do it, then it would have been much more meaningful. Like your telling me the blizzard that gave us the mage tower couldn't introduce some sort of hard scaling trial to proove your worth to your race.

Also there is precedence for what i am saying, once you unlocked the challenge mode sets in WOD and MOP you could use them account bound for classes that could use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Unlocking races is bull****, a quest line fine np I got all the horde and most of the alliance anyway but it's still bull****. Unlocking a new hero class that would be a good way to go about it.

Quite topical actually as allot of accounts including a guy from Method and Preach have been banned for 30 days for exploiting the stacking of the exp potion you can get from warfront vendors.

Had i known about it would i have done it? then answer is yes as in my mind forced leveling in a game that is as old as wow is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 15,245 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Calhoun wrote: »
    Quite topical actually as allot of accounts including a guy from Method and Preach have been banned for 30 days for exploiting the stacking of the exp potion you can get from warfront vendors.

Had i known about it would i have done it? then answer is yes as in my mind forced leveling in a game that is as old as wow is ridiculous

I was watching the Heel Vs Babyface vid on it, it literally only affects levelling and they go after 2 of the more high profile players, way to drive people away from your game.

Well i was mainly pointing out that we both just had opinions and neither is right or wrong. Up to you if you want to be offended how i said it but was not what i was trying to say.

My usage of your liking niches was just that as you used to always play shotgun and if i remember correctly you play a prot warrior in pvp which is a very niche class to play at it with the exception of wpvp and rbgs. You seem to have an affinity for more challenging and skill base classes, because i would be really bad at getting the best out of a prot warrior in pvp. That is a perspective that not all players hold, especially as the game has moved more and more into the casual realms.

The game was different in the past and most can understand that distinction that the grind was linked to RPG progression. Forcing players to go from 20-110 on what more than likely will be a duplicate character is just a lazy way of going about it there is nothing difficult. I used full set of heirloom gear and azeroth autopilot and had it done in about a week on and off. I didnt need to follow any quests as i have lore master on my main for all zones and have done the zones countless times even the reskinned cata zones.

As i said thats were we will disagree because i think the leveling 20-110 is a poor vehicle to deliver the gear but what can i expect from the expansion that is possibly worse than WOD.

As said, 'I don't get it, nor see the need for it'. This does not equal being offended, I'm just calling out the comments as utterly irrelevant to the topic and/or why my opinion is the way it is.

Ah ok i get you, i am the same when i see people talk about time they played in vanilla as if it has relevance to the game now. Allot of people in other forums use it as a dick to swing.
    Me as a teenager using a shotgun in a shooter game (a genre I've barely played since) has quite literally no relevance to my 'pushing-forty' opinion about some MMORPG system decades later. It certainly isn't a testament to any of my personal facets or how I think about the inner-working of games, requirements, or dev decisions. It'd be like me judging you as a person because you ate an apple 20 years ago and me using that as ammo because you decided to post a contrary opinion about oranges elsewhere - it only serves to make things more personal despite being completely different topics.

Nothing niche about it. PWar was very, very strong in Legion, and even casual BG's have a place for protection classes. Then there was also the fact that other War specs were only viable in extreme top-end group PvP with co-ordination, not something you'd get when playing solo or pugging. Even now in 8.1 and beyond, Protection Paladins are entirely viable for 2v2 and 3v3 arena. Head over to the WoW forums and you'll see threads wondering why Arms Warriors were barely represented in the latest WoW PvP tournies. It's not like I was wading into ranked PvP and trying to break the meta. You're talking to someone who has played tonnes of classes/characters in PvP and PvE throughout the years and has dabbled as much as they cared to, and at one point just so happened to be Protection and just happened to use it in casual PvP. How this has any bearing on my opinion about heritage armour is beyond me.

My apologies i had made the assumption that you were a skilled player and tried to specialize in niche classes. As such your opinion might be more hard-line on things than some of the other folk that play.

However as you say you played a flavor of the month tank class in pvp. Which is fair enough also as i have played FOTM classes at times.

Rogue in Vanilla + TBC (PvP & PvE)
    Shadow Priest in TBC to MoP (PvP & PvE) + Disc in Cata to Legion (arena).
    Protection Paladin in TBC to the present (PvP & PvE)
    Protection Warrior in TBC to the present (PvP & PvE)
    Enhance & Restoration Shaman in WotLK to the present (PvP & PvE, Arena).
    Have played two mages (raiding), one warlock (casual raiding), two other shaman, retribution paladin, discipline priest, arms, fury, and many other specs. The only classes I actively avoided all these years are DK, DH and Monk. I've played everything else in some shape or form over the years.

Fair enough like allot of us you have played on multiple classes over the years but not all of us are happy to just level another to throw away.
    Where's the force? It's a purely cosmetic reward nobody needs, just wants. Compare it to the requirements for, say, unlocking flying mounts in WoD or Legion - an actual advantageous luxury with weird requirements. You don't need heritage armour to play as that race, and 90% of people who this effects will mostly just want the race itself. It having its own unique moggable fashion option is nice and all, but not necessary, and the requirements for unlocking it make sense - but as said, no doubt it'll be cut short in time.

Ok fair enough its not forced and now that we have moved past that i still think its a lazy way to go about unlocking them when they could have done so much more.
    The only reason I refer to the past so much is that Blizzard are not only trying to recapture the magic of old WoW (when it was at its most popular, even releasing Classic for those with rose-tinted glasses), but also confirm in their own Q&A's that they want to continue this casual downslope of making everything 'fun and easy without it being automatic loot', whilst simultaneously wondering why people are calling the game soulless or why people much preferred old WoW. Simple - because you earned you stuff and felt accomplished for doing so, without it boiling down into "Did you log in and do your daily quests this week, yes/no?".

Most times people refer to the past generally is followed with a level of smugness. Its something that has constantly dogged wows you always have the more experienced players throwing out how long they have played as if it in itself is an accomplishment. Its like great you have been addicted longer than others but the game really isn't the same anymore. Things move on and the magic of old in its most newest form in my eyes is the likes of the mage tower and challenging single player content that led to unlocks.
    As mentioned already, we can happily agree to disagree and leave it there - but rest assured, my opinion has literally nothing to do with how I played X game in the past or how I play WoW in the present.

Yes lets do that because we are going around in circles.

Allot in that post and it's late, I agree with your core concept on stuff should be earned I just disagree on how it's earned.

My personal favorite was the mage tower or the mythic dungeon timers , having that nice exclusive gear is something im proud of.

I hear you on the heritage gear, the only one I went for was mag'har and that was for the blue variant as I love the frostwolf lore.

Hopefully they keep up the momentum with 8.1.5 into 8.2 the BFA expac finally seems to be coming into it's own.

Well I'm only really here until the Shadowbringers Expansion for FFXIV. I have no doubt I'll drop WoW (and anything else I'm playing) like a hot spud to dig into new FFXIV content, but that's a few months away. WoW has been relegated to being that game I just log into whenever I have nothing else left to play so I can see what I missed (which often turns out to be a whole lot of 'not much'). Only thing I've appreciated thus far is that they fixed Prot Warrior's hilarious Ignore Pain issues in BFA initial release. They've improved on some other aspects but I had little care for them to begin with.

I don't dislike the expansion but once the glam and 'new' wears off it feels like a repetition of Legions mistakes, just with some bells and whistles on it.

Sorry for the delay in responding its been a busy few days with work.

I hear that, i got into FF14 after the state of wow, pre-purchased shadowbringers because of what i saw already and the recent reveals have me even more excited.

Its quite a shame to hear how you define wow because i think allot of people fall into that bucket including myself, i really want it to get better and im hoping with the new systems in 8.2 it will improve.

If it wasn't for the fact i have a raid team with friends im running with i would have dropped my sub. It is crazy when you compare BFA with what they are doing in shadowbreakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MidnightWolfie

Calhoun wrote: »
    I hear that, i got into FF14 after the state of wow, pre-purchased shadowbringers because of what i saw already and the recent reveals have me even more excited.

Its quite a shame to hear how you define wow because i think allot of people fall into that bucket including myself, i really want it to get better and im hoping with the new systems in 8.2 it will improve.

I totally know how you feel too. I'm a massive WoW fan but switched to FFXIV a few months ago. It's just so much superior to the BFA content. I'm hoping to pre-purchase ShadowBringers but I'm hoping to find some sort of a deal online rather than buy it for a full price (Aye, i'm cheap!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I've checked out of BfA entirely at this point. I get the occasional urge to log on and check out a new patch, or new story that's been added or expanded on, but honestly I just don't want to spend the pittance of money it costs because I know I'll have it done in a few hours.

I'm nicely set up on a really fun TBC server at the moment while I wait for Classic to be released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

Anyone gone back to WOW since the Covid 19 restrictions came in. Ive resubbed and my lvl 117 night elf rogue is back in the game. Have not played since late 2018 and completele forget the what im ment to be doing. Things seem to have changed a bit since ive played...

I was tempted, but decided to go through my backlog instead. I might come back for Shadowlands, but BFA was pretty ****e so no real interest there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I was thinking of it as well but with New World out in a couple a weeks I am going to wait for that and go through some of my backlog in the meantime.

I've been playing Classic. Popped on to BFA once or twice but it's just a lot of meh for me.

Raids are supposed to be great, but I'm just not feeling it.

Currently finishing off raiding Nyalotha on HC and will just tip away on mount collecting and achievements until shadowlands.

First few days back into BFA and things are tipping away nicely. Hit lvl 120 on my horde main very quickly but still have a hugh amount of content to do. I must have played very little after release. Next up is to get my flying skill, i just know this is going to be painfull... getting back into the swing of things slowely but surely. Any recommendatins of must have add ons, etc..

Glebee wrote: »
    First few days back into BFA and things are tipping away nicely. Hit lvl 120 on my horde main very quickly but still have a hugh amount of content to do. I must have played very little after release. Next up is to get my flying skill, i just know this is going to be painfull... getting back into the swing of things slowely but surely. Any recommendatins of must have add ons, etc..

It is painful but there is probably a year before the next expac at the latest and at the earliest 9 months due to the Corona virus. So you have all the time in the world and its reasonable content.

They really need to remove the rep grind for flying. Just make it so that once you finish the story content, you can fly.

I think it was the rep part in Legion alright that was the killer for flying. Not sure wether to gut to keep on questing or hit the flying talent.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    They really need to remove the rep grind for flying. Just make it so that once you finish the story content, you can fly.

What they need to do is remove the Rep Grind for the Allied Races because it's an absolute joke of a system, especially the ones introduced in Legion.

Advertisement