Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Journalism and cycling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is it just me and is Blathnaid very easy in the eye but looks terribly unstable looking on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

ted1 wrote: »
    Is it just me and is Blathnaid very easy in the eye but looks terribly unstable looking on a bike.

Attitudes and comments like this make it difficult for more women to take up cycling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

There is no space or sport we are not judged and assessed by our attractiveness to men unforch

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Moflojo wrote: »
    Attitudes and comments like this make it difficult for more women to take up cycling.
    Women get judged in the same fashion whether they go to the supermarket or perform in a lap dancing club, so may add well just get on with doing whatever is fun.

Also, women can be incredibly judgemental about men, they just do a better job of hiding it.

Hang on she put herself forward as a presenter of a cycling show. She looked unstable on the bike.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Women get judged in the same fashion whether they go to the supermarket or perform in a lap dancing club, so may add well just get on with doing whatever is fun.

Also, women can be incredibly judgemental about men, they just do a better job of hiding it.

Thats the greatest load of scutter I've read for some time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So we’re ok with the RSA yet again showing contradictions to the law (in terms of the bells and horns) and are more interested in yer ones physical appearance?
    She’s nice looking but who cares so let’s get back on topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Perhaps people unstable on a bike should be applauded for trying....we want to get everyone out cycling not just you strong powerful and I assume superior sort. Do you support getting more cycling and do you think you attitude helps?

rubadub wrote: »
    You're right but its telling that the legislation you quote dates from 1963 when Dublin still had horse-drawn vehicles!
    doesn't matter how old or "out of date" it sounds. The RSA and that program have been totally & utterly ripped apart for getting the law/advice wrong before.

Once bitten twice shy? seemingly not with those complete morons. Seriously, what in the fcuk is wrong with these freaks?!
    Very poor show, Could have done so much. Investigate WHY cycling is a low priority etc....So poorly researched it is amazing how poor journalism is in Ireland generally when I read a topic I have a little information on all the errors you see make you lose all respect for the majority of articles you know nothing about!

work wrote: »
    Very poor show, Could have done so much. Investigate WHY cycling is a low priority etc....So poorly researched it is amazing how poor journalism is in Ireland generally when I read a topic I have a little information on all the errors you see make you lose all respect for the majority of articles you know nothing about!

So you can slate journalists but not comment that a presenter on a cycling show looked unstable. So much show that she walked with the bike most the time.

• Advertisement

Why did they blur out the RSA logo on the truck ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

rubadub wrote: »
    doesn't matter how old or "out of date" it sounds. The RSA and that program have been totally & utterly ripped apart for getting the law/advice wrong before.

Once bitten twice shy? seemingly not with those complete morons. Seriously, what in the fcuk is wrong with these freaks?!

I would have respected it more if they said, here is the legal requirement, in the real world you need something like this, or have a decent set of pipes. Its not the legal requirement but it is the minimum requirement. I don't have a bell but I have had several jobs where a low, penetrating voice is necessary for attracting attention. It is a rare day where if I need someone to hear me that they don't.

Either stick to the legal requirements or stick to the real world recommendations but make it clear which one you are talking about.

So you can slate journalists but not comment that a presenter on a cycling show looked unstable. So much show that she walked with the bike most the time.
    I'm sure some journalists do their work but not here obviously or a lot of the time. I think commenting on someone's looks negates the rest of the post on balance.

Thats the greatest load of scutter I've read for some time.

Because...?

Men are afraid women will laugh at them.
    Women are afraid men will kill them.

Because...?

I replied to the wrong post lol :o

I think commenting on someone's looks negates the rest of the post on balance.

Let’s be honest in the media and in television someone’s looks would be part of the deciding factor on sticking them in front of the camera

It’s why some people do radio
    https://goo.gl/images/Sj8HJ5

Let’s be honest in the media and in television someone’s looks would be part of the deciding factor on sticking them in front of the camera

It’s why some people do radio
    https://goo.gl/images/Sj8HJ5

The programme is co-presented by Simon Delaney.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

That's harsh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Eamonnator wrote: »
    That's harsh

Hi Simon! :p:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Having met several of the posters here, myself included, with the exception of Dirk, very few of us are in a position to judge others in relation to looks, lets leave this part of the conversation and move on.

He has done previous work involving road safety and school kids with the RSA before that gave him the advantage.

https://goo.gl/images/GU3E35

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

CramCycle wrote: »
    MOD VOICE: Having met several of the posters here, myself included, with the exception of Dirk, very few of us are in a position to judge others in relation to looks, lets leave this part of the conversation and move on.

Have you any pics of this Dirk... Voodoo? From your private collection?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

call-for-30kph-speed-limit-in-naas.html
    A 30 kilometres per hour speed limit should apply in most of the Naas urban area.

He also wants consideration given to reducing vehicles speeds to 15 kph within agreed “town centre streets” to allow for safe “shared spaces where cycle lanes cannot be (provided) at narrow pinch points in the town.”

I replied to the wrong post lol :o

nee thanked it regardless. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Grassey wrote: »

Good man Seamie! Chase that annoying cyclist vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

there was a nice piece on the 6pm news on RTE this evening about a couple of lads Everesting for charity on the Connor pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Hook has finished his dictator Panini sticker albums and put them in alphabetical order. Time for a new challenge:

http://www.thetricolour.com/Articles/183/News/politics/George-Hook-to-address-Irexit-Limerick-Conference-on-political-correctness/l4524182/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement