Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a fan of the John Creedon show

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

sligojoek wrote: »
    Rory time

Yeah yeah yeah.

Johnny C knows how to work the crowd! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Loved the Sister Rosetta Tharpe tonight. John has a terrific knack of coming up with these old gems.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

mzungu wrote: »
    Johnny C knows how to work the crowd! :D

I was waiting in the car for my daughter when that came on. Nobody around so I gave the volume welly. I'd never get away with that in the house.

Loved the Sister Rosetta Tharpe tonight. John has a terrific knack of coming up with these old gems.

I've an album by someone similar but her name escapes me. I'll have a look for it later.

I found it.

Hoodoo Lady by Memphis Minnie.

Just stuck it on the phone. Tomorrow's listening sorted.

• Advertisement

Led Zeppelin cover.

Rave on John Donne, rave on thou holy fool, down through the weeks of ages...

Classic Van to sign off tonight, one great poet singing about another.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,258 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

John Cooper Clarke setting himself up for a fall right now on ‘Arena’, talking about how happy he is!

Standard RTE Misery P0rn Question in 3...2...1...

(And yes, I am aware this is the Creedo thread but I can’t see one for ‘Arena’ :D )

How good was that Sean Monaghan song! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I have often wondered would the show be enhanced by an interview every now and again? Not every show, or even every week, but when some great artist comes to town get John Creedon to interview them on his show (if musical style fits).

mzungu wrote: »
    I have often wondered would the show be enhanced by an interview every now and again? Not every show, or even every week, but when some great artist comes to town get John Creedon to interview them on his show (if musical style fits).

Absolutely 100 per cent. I’ve often mentioned the old session recordings John used to do years back and which he gives the odd spin to from time to time. Memory isn’t the best but I think that may have been when he was on the mid morning shift. Being in cork might not help, but still should be able to snag the odd decent artist on their travels. See no reason he wouldn’t be into it too.

Absolutely 100 per cent. I’ve often mentioned the old session recordings John used to do years back and which he gives the odd spin to from time to time. Memory isn’t the best but I think that may have been when he was on the mid morning shift. Being in cork might not help, but still should be able to snag the odd decent artist on their travels. See no reason he wouldn’t be into it too.

Aye, his relaxed style suits the interview format. I could see him interviewing BB King (if he was still alive) and people like that.

Once in a blue moon would be grand and just talk about the music. I'd hate to see it descending into people plugging their wares and telling their stories of death and cancer in their families like the rest of RTE's shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

sligojoek wrote: »
    Once in a blue moon would be grand and just talk about the music. I'd hate to see it descending into people plugging their wares and telling their stories of death and cancer in their families like the rest of RTE's shows.
    This +1

I don't tune in all that often, but when I do it's for the music and John's gentle nattering on..... I've had to give up on most of Radio 1's offerings lately as they're all as described above. Even the Twitter requests are turning into a bit of a pain (people plugging their locations/photos/whatever).

Just keep playing the music, John.

Yeah i don’t think anybody was suggesting a succession of grief addled d list slebs should be invited to the cork studio to unburden themselves. Why would people ever think creedon would go down that route?

The kind of thing Sean O’Rourke does in the mornings would be my idea, live music, very small bit of chat. 10-15 minutes tops. I still recall the time he had Blind Boys of Alabama in the studio (or its then incarnation) and they did a couple a cappella, including amazing grace. Get goosebumps thinking about it now. (If you’re reading this john, consider it a request - dig it out please!)

Anyway, is just a notion. Not everybody would be for it clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There's enough chat on Irish radio, I think just leave it as it is.

Shane and the Popes . Nancy Whiskey, when I started the car the other night. Good man John. Shortened the journey.

Streams Of Whiskey :)

Lick The Tins :(

And hand me down me bible for starters

• Advertisement

Ah lovely. Old Hanna.

Luke Mercer and Anthony Mannion.
    Lucy on vocals

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Am enjoying tonight great, so I am

Two other bands worth listening to are The Odd socks and The Wranglers also have Luke and Anthony on guitars with Michael Confrey on bass. They're based in Dublin now. Always a great live act.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Some tunes tonight, can't remember the last time (if ever) I heard Radar Love on Irish radio. John is the gift that keeps on giving!

Sheila Take A Bow :)

Loving David Byrne’s ‘American Utopia’ album :)

‘Haitian Divorce’! :cool:

Has John been at my record collection tonight? :D

Loving David Byrne’s ‘American Utopia’ album :)

He is one of a kind, alright!

Ay ay ay ay ay yeah ay ay ay ay ay yeahhh

• Advertisement

Haircut 100! :cool:

Has John been at my rec...whoops, scratch that. :o

Advertisement