Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House in a bad state.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    She's getting 1250 on HAP.
    She's to pay 10percent of her wages to the council every month for this as well as make up 550euro to give the landlord. So about 800euro a month in rent she would be paying. She's also a single mother without any child support from the father.
    If she wanted she could get a council house And never work a day in her life again. but she would rather earn a living then be giving everything for nothing.

And as I've said before the 6k is her savings it's near all she had and is facing homelessness. 6k is not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things it goes very quickly

Hopefully that answers the very nosey question once and for all. HAP is a joke of a system and it seems not even the tenants that do everything correctly and pay the massive chunk they have to up front can win without someone questioning where they got the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Final update.
    She got a full refund and tenancy has been voided.
    But was told it will be put back up for rent on daft this week.
    Pity the poor family who will take it in that state.
    Have your cousin pop in to the house to "check for post" when it gets let, and tell the new people the issues that your cousin had.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Hopefully that answers the very nosey question once and for all. HAP is a joke of a system and it seems not even the tenants that do everything correctly and pay the massive chunk they have to up front can win without someone questioning where they got the money.

And even though we talk about HAP been too strict on inspections - this sounds like a house where a fail sounds 100 percent merited.

And shed still end up with no home eventually even if she stayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

the_syco wrote: »
    Have your cousin pop in to the house to "check for post" when it gets let, and tell the new people the issues that your cousin had.

To what end? If someone moves in the problems (assuming they aren't addressed before then) will be pretty apparent and won't require some randomer turning up at your door to point them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

listermint wrote: »
    Opening post. I was like ... Ovens dirty just clean it. And there's no mould there just a greasy dirty wall

However the floor behind that bed . That is mould. That is serious and no one should sleep in that room for any length of time before that's sorted.

Mould of that scale is a silent Illness causer and has serious respiratory consequences that many people don't understand.

agree totally from personal experience. took me a year away before it cleared up. I had no idea mould can make such illness.

op; is it advertised on daft ie with photos? if so and it is still bad, contact daft?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

Graces7-Sounds awful. Would you mind elaborating on what happened, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FelaniaMump

Fol20 wrote: »
    It can be much longer than that. I have a tenant who is over 2 years without an inspection. I dread the time it will come as although its only being built in past 10years. HAP are quite fussy and if the work meets min standards but not HAP standards, it will be up to the tenant to fight for his HAP payment as i wont pay for unnecessary work.

Sigh. HAP STANDARDS ARE THE MINIMUM STANDARDS. They are the same standards. There is no different rule or demands for a HAP rental, the inspection is to check the property meets the normal minimum low standards for any Irish rental property.

When will this myth die?

shamrock55 wrote: »
    She's getting 2k a month from hap yet is able to fork out 6k upfront, what in the name of christ is going on here??

Nobody gets 2k a month from HAP, and even people who can't afford to pay 2k a month for a house have jobs and savings. They are just normal people you know, same as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

Sigh. HAP STANDARDS ARE THE MINIMUM STANDARDS. They are the same standards. There is no different rule or demands for a HAP rental, the inspection is to check the property meets the normal minimum low standards for any Irish rental property.

When will this myth die?

How is it a myth when i have seen several threads comment on min standard vs hap standard and how its different. Point in case. Someone mentioned paint cracks had to be fixed to meet the standard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Old diesel

When will this myth die?

How is it a myth when i have seen several threads comment on min standard vs hap standard and how its different. Point in case. Someone mentioned paint cracks had to be fixed to meet the standard

Officially the standards might be the same but the council inspectors go stricter when it's a HAP property perhaps????.

We know some people have reported things like the inspector marking down for "wrong paint colour".

There is unlikely to be an official rule to say a house must have approved colour scheme.

It's a real mess because either the HAP house gets marked too strictly OR the non HAP house gets too lenient an inspection.

Both should get assessed to exact same standard if things were done right.

• Advertisement

Because its a pervasive myth. HAP inspectors don't care about paint cracks, why would they?

(What even is a "paint crack"?...Sounds like a LL with cracks in the walls pretending the inspectors are being OTT)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

Because its a pervasive myth. HAP inspectors don't care about paint cracks, why would they?

(What even is a "paint crack"?...Sounds like a LL with cracks in the walls pretending the inspectors are being OTT)

So your saying several threads that i have observed over the years by different op's are all lying about the extra work they talk about such as this. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I also have local knowledge of such situations as dread when my inspection will eventually come.

Yes, I am saying there is a lot of porkies being told. "Marked down for wrong paint colour" indeed! There is no right paint colour.

Do you know what the inspectors actually look for? That each bedroom has a window. That there is minimum ventilation. That there are doors that open, fire alarms and no killer mould.
    That's the inspection. It's quick and it's easy and landlords that fail it tell lies about why because they know to be thoroughly ashamed at the state a property has to be in to fail it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

shamrock55 wrote: »
    She's getting 2k a month from hap yet is able to fork out 6k upfront, what in the name of christ is going on here??

She's getting 1250 on HAP.
    She's to pay 10percent of her wages to the council every month for this as well as make up 550euro to give the landlord. So about 800euro a month in rent she would be paying. She's also a single mother without any child support from the father.
    If she wanted she could get a council house And never work a day in her life again. but she would rather earn a living then be giving everything for nothing.

And as I've said before the 6k is her savings it's near all she had and is facing homelessness. 6k is not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things it goes very quickly
    So she is committing fraud as is the landlord! She and the landlord are both signing forms with false information about the rent costs.
    She can apply to get payments from the father for support. The main reason people dont do this is because they are no better off. The state is better off but that doesn't matter to them.

Advertisement