Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brands to avoid?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Kryptonite locks do rattle a bit when locked - if it's the older design where you hook one side of the D in, and then swivel the other into the lock, it can be silenced by super-gluing a bit of old inner tube to the tip of the D, but if it's the newer design, where both sides of the D slide in together, then it just rattles...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Qrt

Another quick question, bike became without a bell, that normal?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Qrt wrote: »

Did you get the parts bag (spare hanger, allen key, possibly reflectors)? There's often a crappy bell in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

From experience bells are pretty useless with noise of city traffic etc. Motorists can't hear them and pedestrians ignore them in the city or can't heat them. There is also a time delay in the brain registering that it needs to ring the bell and actually doing so. I reply on my voice. It's far more reactive than the hand/bell combo. It also gets peoples attention and even motorists can hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭chicorytip

From experience bells are pretty useless with noise of city traffic etc. Motorists can't hear them and pedestrians ignore them in the city or can't heat them. There is also a time delay in the brain registering that it needs to ring the bell and actually doing so. I reply on my voice. It's far more reactive than the hand/bell combo. It also gets peoples attention and even motorists can hear it.

Neither bell nor voice will alert your typical headphone wearer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

chicorytip wrote: »
    Neither bell nor voice will alert your typical headphone wearer.

My voice can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I disagree people know the sound of a bell and usually react better to it than someone roaring at them.

A decent bell tend to cut though a lot of other noise I find. I've added them to most of my bikes and find them useful.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My voice can.

Mine too, I am used like a town crier at work when peoples attention is needed. I can bring a room of 100+ to silence with ease. It's low and loud so cuts through everything without appearing rude unless I need it too.

Bells I have seen bring people to stand in the way in indignation, even though I would have taken a bell ring warning as a polite way to just let someone know your there, nowadays many people take it as a sign of rudeness and will block the path on purpose.

This isn't helped by some bell ringers who cycle right up the arse of others and then start ringing like an asshat.

ED E wrote: »
    Did you get the parts bag (spare hanger, allen key, possibly reflectors)? There's often a crappy bell in there.

I got the bike, no parts bag, I just cycled it home really... I feel like I should've now...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

beauf wrote: »
    I disagree people know the sound of a bell and usually react better to it than someone roaring at them.

A decent bell tend to cut though a lot of other noise I find. I've added them to most of my bikes and find them useful.

I agree. My bell is more effective with pedestrians than my much louder Hornit electronic buzzer - presumably because more people recognise it.

It is a little cumbersome in emergencies - voice does come into play there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I got the bike, no parts bag, I just cycled it home really... I feel like I should've now...

Any decent LBS should give you one of the included-with-the-bike bells for free, if you ask nicely.

I find them useful on shared pathways - give a single ding when approaching from behind, and then say thanks a million or similar when they move over.
    However, on a busy road, they are pointless, and a loud "OI!" gives the best results.

Type 17 wrote: »
    Any decent LBS should give you one of the included-with-the-bike bells for free, if you ask nicely.

Strangely enough, this is exactly what happened! I was chuffed to say the least, I wasn't keen on getting one of the fancier bigger ones.

Advertisement