Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gran Canaria

• 18-09-2018 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

Heading over in a few weeks and will be based in the south, in Maspalomas. Anyone any tips for cafe stops, recommended routes, recovery establishments, restaurants etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Heading over in a few weeks and will be based in the south, in Maspalomas. Anyone any tips for cafe stops, recommended routes, recovery establishments, restaurants etc?

go to free motion in playa del ingles, down by the beach. Buy a route map from them for around 7 euro. That'll give you all the info you need, including cafe stops. But really, if you see a cafe and you fancy a coffee, just stop. All the ones in the mountains are quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

How did ya get on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Old Perry wrote: »
    How did ya get on?

Was good. Got a few spins along the GC60 and back along the GC505. Was steeper than I was expecting but great scenery.

Maspalomas is quite touristy though, with lots of traffic.

If I go again to GC, it'll be an airbnb somewhere not far from the airport. Taxi with the bike was 45 each way to Maspalomas.

You need to bring climbing legs, mind you - there are no easy days there. I found Mallorca, Fuerteventura & Lanzarote more agreeable in that regard. You can plan recovery days there.

Recovery in GC is going up 10% + a bit slower :D

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭NBar

Been to Maspalomas this year and last and love the climbing, only this year found a great coffee place when not cycling but wanted a good walk on the days not cycling which was every second day, only gripe was the roads that were closed last year still closed so limited my routes, will be back again next year as love the climbs, the roads and the courteous drivers etc

best coffee is this Italian place il caffettino, look it up on Facebook, real Italian community, fresh pastries and the coffee is the best you will get anywhere and very very cheap as well and worth going to early in morning either walking or before a spin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Going this week for some biking in the dry and warm temps! :)

• Advertisement

God I struggled to find good coffee in Maspalomas.

il caffettino - Noted.

God I struggled to find good coffee in Maspalomas.

il caffettino - Noted.

La Esquina in San Fernando. As you cycle up that first hill through the built-up area if you're heading from Maspalomas towards the climb to Fataga. It's at the first or second roundabout. Lovely coffee and good tapas.

1bryan wrote: »
    La Esquina in San Fernando. As you cycle up that first hill through the built-up area if you're heading from Maspalomas towards the climb to Fataga. It's at the first or second roundabout. Lovely coffee and good tapas.

Think I saw it, after the turn off to LIDL... just before the start of the GC60. Actually there was a couple of riders stopped there too.

The damage had already been done at that point though. Sachets of ' gold blend ' from the local grocer.

So I've been thinking of heading of to warmer climate for some cycling, had GC in mind and then I heard about the climbing. I've very little climbing experience. So had a look at Tenerife, this seems to be the same but not as hard-core.

Anybody with exp. of both able to advise. I'm a beginner by all means and would intend on this being mostly leisure and fitness oriented, would like to enjoy it rather than kill myself slogging up hills every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

I'm heading over just before Christmas. Aiming for two climbs of Pico de las Nieves during the week. I'll be using the Strava route generator extensively to avoid going up the steep grades.

Alpe du Zwift will be getting a few reps, once they get rid of this New York bulloni.

I've very little climbing experience. So had a look at Tenerife

Are we talking about the same Tenerife? Are you mental? :D
    Maybe cycling up the volcano from the Northside.
    The Southside, more touristy (English Speaking), would be tougher.

Might I recommend Sierra Nevada with http://www.sierranevada.cc/ , it was my first climbing holiday and the climbs are nice. A group just came back from there and the temperature was very high teens, so you'd want to go quick.

• Advertisement

Thanks . Will have a look at that..... for next time. I threw caution to the wind a few days ago. I'll be heading to gran canaria at the end of the month for 5 days. Will take it as it comes have routes fairly well researched so I'm not caught out. Looking forward to it, with apprehension ðŸ˜

I'm heading over just before Christmas. Aiming for two climbs of Pico de las Nieves during the week. I'll be using the Strava route generator extensively to avoid going up the steep grades.

curious to know the route you end up taking. The most direct route would seem to be from maspalomas to ayacata, via fataga, then up to Pico via Roque Nublo, but the road does go back down across the east of the island. I've never cycled that one, but have driven it. The road goes on forever. I guess it depends on where you're based when there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭cunavalos

curious to know the route you end up taking. The most direct route would seem to be from maspalomas to ayacata, via fataga, then up to Pico via Roque Nublo, but the road does go back down across the east of the island. I've never cycled that one, but have driven it. The road goes on forever. I guess it depends on where you're based when there also.

Probably one of the tougher ways up to the summit is "La Pasadilla" via Ingenio. Those who have done the Summit Tour with Free Motion are probably familiar with the route but normally their tour descends this way after climbing through Fataga - Ayacata.

The Strava for the segment is https://www.strava.com/segments/711517
    This climb also features as the Hill Climb part of the annual cycle tour sportive festival held in December. I have only descended this way and can imagine it is a bit of a grind all the way up.
    Aod0h1P.jpg?1

https://www.flickr.com/photos/69847162@N06/45990707521/in/dateposted-public/

Well that was epic. I've never had so much fun on a bike as chasing cars down some of them hills. I started out from peurto mogan, so probably one of the easier routes from what I have read, I have no gps or tech on board but left at 9am ish and back in apartment about 3/3.30. I'm just happy I made it to the top having tried the 1st day I was here and giving up, took it easy the second and managed it today.

I'm a bit sore now, reckon the bike was slightly to big for me, cannondale supersix evo, but how and ever it was well worth it. Gonna be very hard to go back to my alu frame and winter/ waterproof gear 😣

https://www.flickr.com/photos/69847162@N06/45990707521/in/dateposted-public/

Well that was epic. I've never had so much fun on a bike as chasing cars down some of them hills. I started out from peurto mogan, so probably one of the easier routes from what I have read, I have no gps or tech on board but left at 9am ish and back in apartment about 3/3.30. I'm just happy I made it to the top having tried the 1st day I was here and giving up, took it easy the second and managed it today.

I'm a bit sore now, reckon the bike was slightly to big for me, cannondale supersix evo, but how and ever it was well worth it. Gonna be very hard to go back to my alu frame and winter/ waterproof gear ��

the climb from Porto de Mogan to Ayacata is beautiful. Definitely not the hardest on the island, but still tough enough (mostly because there are really steep sections late on). Heading over myself in a couple of weeks. Can't wait to give this one a go again. The road along the south of the island had been closed the last couple of times I was over, so it wasn't possible to get to the climb.

the climb from Porto de Mogan to Ayacata is beautiful. Definitely not the hardest on the island, but still tough enough (mostly because there are really steep sections late on). Heading over myself in a couple of weeks. Can't wait to give this one a go again. The road along the south of the island had been closed the last couple of times I was over, so it wasn't possible to get to the climb.

Those last 11km from the coffee stop up past roque nublo to the top, nearly had me turn around. If I'd known it was like that I would have paced myself a bit better. I was slightly pissed off watching these middle aged germans pass me on there electric mtbs, converstion in free flow, as I had stoped for break panting my lungs out.

I wanted to do a cycle from peurto mogan to masapalomas but was informed by the freemotion guys that the road was closed and the only option was to go up as far as gc605 and back down.

Will definitely be back here jan/Feb, only question is will I base in mogan again or not. Fantastic place, as another poster said though, you need to bring your climbing legs, it's not really a leisure destination for cycling.

Those last 11km from the coffee stop up past roque nublo to the top, nearly had me turn around. If I'd known it was like that I would have paced myself a bit better. I was slightly pissed off watching these middle aged germans pass me on there electric mtbs, converstion in free flow, as I had stoped for break panting my lungs out.

I wanted to do a cycle from peurto mogan to masapalomas but was informed by the freemotion guys that the road was closed and the only option was to go up as far as gc605 and back down.

Will definitely be back here jan/Feb, only question is will I base in mogan again or not. Fantastic place, as another poster said though, you need to bring your climbing legs, it's not really a leisure destination for cycling.

yep, section is fairly eyeball-popping.

Out of interest, where is the road closure? If you made it to Ayacata, it must be somewhere between there and San Bartolome?

yep, section is fairly eyeball-popping.

Out of interest, where is the road closure? If you made it to Ayacata, it must be somewhere between there and San Bartolome?

I wanted to cycle the coast to masapalomas via the gc500, guy in free motion informed that road is closed a few kms out of peurto de mogan. Only other options then are gc1 or the long way round .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Hadn't realised the road closure was as bad. A small stretch from Taurito to Puerto Mogan is affected but it looks like it is a permanent closure due to the damage from a major rockfall.

They will not be repairing the road and most likely a new tunnel will be required parallel to the motorway (GC1) with a 3-5 year timeline. Looking at youtube videos of the damaged section, it does look ropey enough

Its a real shame as the cycle from Maspalomas to Puerto Mogan for an ice cream and back was the closest to a recovery spin on the island.

Probably the only option now from Maspalomas is to go via the Soria climb GC505 after El Pajar and follow signs for Presa las Ninas. If memory serves me right this last section is fairly rough and steep and there were official-ish no cycling signs.

cunavalos wrote: »

They will not be repairing the road and most likely a
    Probably the only option now from Maspalomas is to go via the Soria climb GC505 after El Pajar and follow signs for Presa las Ninas. If memory serves me right this last section is fairly rough and steep and there were official-ish no cycling signs.

Think this is the route freemotion said I would need to take.

• Advertisement

cunavalos wrote: »
    Hadn't realised the road closure was as bad. A small stretch from Taurito to Puerto Mogan is affected but it looks like it is a permanent closure due to the damage from a major rockfall.

They will not be repairing the road and most likely a new tunnel will be required parallel to the motorway (GC1) with a 3-5 year timeline. Looking at youtube videos of the damaged section, it does look ropey enough

Its a real shame as the cycle from Maspalomas to Puerto Mogan for an ice cream and back was the closest to a recovery spin on the island.

It's fine to cycle up it. The surface is dodgy in places but at no point will you ever be cycling fast up there (due to it's 17% slopes!). I've seen those no-cycling signs but have no idea why they're there. I've never seen to many up there and, any time I've cycled up, it's rare you'd meet a car.

Shame about that rockslide. That road has been plagued with rockslides since I started going to GC about 15 years ago. They must just have gotten the road reopened at Arguineguin when this happened. I guess that's what happens when you build a road on a pile of dust!

I'm staying in Maspalomas. It's disappointing Mogan is cut off but there are plenty of other options on the east/southeast of the island.

Thanks for posting the video. Looks passable on foot but my fear of heights will prevent me from trying it!.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,710 ✭✭✭meercat

I’ve been there twice this year and it’s passable with your road bike. You’ll have to lift it around 2 barriers and Armco at the side of the road. Lots of walkers still use this road.
    There is a fine if you’re caught but I’ve never seen anyone around enforcing it.
    There is a ferry from Puerto Rico to puerto Mogan hourly that you can bring your bike on too

Safe travels

meercat wrote: »
    I’ve been there twice this year and it’s passable with your road bike. You’ll have to lift it around 2 barriers and Armco at the side of the road. Lots of walkers still use this road.
    There is a fine if you’re caught but I’ve never seen anyone around enforcing it.
    There is a ferry from Puerto Rico to puerto Mogan hourly that you can bring your bike on too

Safe travels

might be one for a weekend day then. I've climbed over roadworks/rockfalls there on 2 occasions in the past. There'd be lads on the road works during the week and they'd stop you, but not a sinner at the weekend. Though it sounds like, in this case, there aren't even road works there. I might chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,710 ✭✭✭meercat

I passed midweek. No sign of any activity at all. You’ll be alright

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

I’ve gone over it on a few occasions bit of pain climbing over Armco but not too bad.
    Only found out recently you can get fined, I’ll be keeping an eye out next time.
    Just remember it’s closed for a reason, the cliff face above is unstable don’t hang about to long under it and avoid going up after rain or in strong winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

heading over to Playa del Ingles after Xmas.

will hire a bike for 2-3 spins; what hire places are best, Free Motion pops up a lot on Google?

what climbs do i need to do, better to do a group or go solo ( kinda prefer)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Tea2

devonp wrote: »
    will hire a bike for 2-3 spins; what hire places are best, Free Motion pops up a lot

I rented with Free Motion a few weeks ago and found them fantastic, highly recommended. Well worth joining one of their tours on your first day, takes away the hassle of planning and the guides will be happy to help you choose some routes for your solo days.

heading over to Playa del Ingles after Xmas.

will hire a bike for 2-3 spins; what hire places are best, Free Motion pops up a lot on Google?

what climbs do i need to do, better to do a group or go solo ( kinda prefer)

from play del finglas the best route to do would be to head across to San Fernando and find the climb across to Fataga. That takes you to about 900m. Then you can continue up to Cruz Grande and over to Ayacata (around 1200m). If you're really feeling strong turn right in Ayacata for the shortish killer climb up to Roque Nublo, and continue on up to Pico de las Nieves (~1600m) if you really like climbing. Then come back down the same way, either doubling back on the climb you went up, or go back via Santa Lucia - head across to the CG500 and cycle back in the coast (just be mindful of the wind direction on this road - can be a killer if it's a headwind).

A nice, shorter climb (but fairly stiff), is up to Soria. Cycle along the south coast of the island for about 10km til you get to a roundabout at Arguineguin. Cycle into the valley (follow signs for Las Fillipinas/Soria). After about 12km of a 1-3% drag the road goes up. Soria is at about 650m and you can get coffee there. Alternatively, if you really like steep stuff, once you get to the top of that climb, there's a left turn that takes you up a broken (but not too bad) road. That has gradients of up to 20% on it and is about 4km long. When you reach the top of that climb, you can descend over to the road coming from Mogan, which will take you to Ayacata if you choose to continue climbing.

The third option is to cycle right across the south of the island, to Mogan. Cycle up to Mogan village. About 2-3 miles past Mogan village there's a right turn that takes you into a forest, for one of the most beautiful climbs you will ever do. Eventually that road will meet the route in the previous paragraph.

It depends on your standard and how fit you are. There isn't much flat stuff over there. If you're in Free Motion you can pick up a route map there for a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

GC report

hired a C'dale synapse from Free Motion and did their Pico de las Nieves challenge on Wed, signed on for the hobby level but was able to keep with the sport level when the groups split, hard enough climb but great views from the top, descended the same route(group decided to do that rather than going east which has a very steep downhill with bad surface according to the guide)

on friday did my own thing, as above sugg by 1Byran, -coast then up to Soria (coffee) over the broken road (Tauro Pass?) and over to Ayacata and up to PdlN again and straight back down the long hill to Playa de Ingles

we rented a car for one day and drove down the GC210 (which is described as the VOTT lite!! going up) a very stressful drive but would be a great cycle up from Mogan and very hard...what is the real VOTT be like ?? anyone here done it?

free motion do a route but the days didn't suite me

and the GC500 from Puerto de Mogan is still closed so had to take the GC1 back in the car

thanks to all above for the advice

• Advertisement

GC report

hired a C'dale synapse from Free Motion and did their Pico de las Nieves challenge on Wed, signed on for the hobby level but was able to keep with the sport level when the groups split, hard enough climb but great views from the top, descended the same route(group decided to do that rather than going east which has a very steep downhill with bad surface according to the guide)

on friday did my own thing, as above sugg by 1Byran, -coast then up to Soria (coffee) over the broken road (Tauro Pass?) and over to Ayacata and up to PdlN again and straight back down the long hill to Playa de Ingles

we rented a car for one day and drove down the GC210 (which is described as the VOTT lite!! going up) a very stressful drive but would be a great cycle up from Mogan and very hard...what is the real VOTT be like ?? anyone here done it?

free motion do a route but the days didn't suite me

and the GC500 from Puerto de Mogan is still closed so had to take the GC1 back in the car

thanks to all above for the advice

great stuff, you got some great miles in. The cycle from Ayacata to Pico is tough going. Some really steep stuff right the way to the very top. And, as you say, the views there are breathtaking. I loved cycling up there, then descending back to Ayacata for lunch.

I've never done the VOTT but have been up it in the car. Never did it because I figured, at my fitness level, it would wipe you out for a day or two afterwards (would be 80km from where I stay to even get to the bottom of the climb), which isn't ideal if you're only out there for a week,

As a climb, it's bonkers. As you said, it's a stressful drive with lots of unprotected drops. Gradients are off the scales mental, and it goes on and on and on. Often meant to drive across to St.Nicholas and try and cycle it from there. But much respect to anyone that ever made it up.

And, the other climbs mentioned are actually enjoyable, and sufficiently challenging for most people. There are enough routes to fill up a week without needing to do the VOTT so I'll leave that one way down the bottom of my to-do list.

Advertisement