Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Electric Guitar for a Beginner this Xmas?

• 11-12-2017 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Been thinking for a while about starting to play again and pick up a guitar for the first time in about 14 years (was fairly moderately proficient in my teens but not picked up a guitar since I was 19 so I've forgotten everything save for some basic chords).

My girlfriend wants to get me an electric for Xmas so just wondering what the best one is to get? Would want something with relatively good action.

Budget of about 400. Always had a softspot for SG's and I saw one yesterday in the window for 389 quid. Open to a telecaster also

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Get into Xmusic or Waltons if youre near Dublin as it's too close to christmas to order online.

Practicing on acoustic is better practice though I might add.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Check out as many guitars in your price range, I do think what you buy is a very personal choice, as another guitarist friend said recently, it's all about 'feel', and only you can decide that. The quality of guitars being made now, compared to 10/15 years ago is exceptional. Drop into as many shops as you can, but be aware, you might get a better deal online, in which you might be able to use to haggle. It is always nice to support local music shops though. Best of luck and happy Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 28 revelino70

Hi guys,

Been thinking for a while about starting to play again and pick up a guitar for the first time in about 14 years (was fairly moderately proficient in my teens but not picked up a guitar since I was 19 so I've forgotten everything save for some basic chords).

My girlfriend wants to get me an electric for Xmas so just wondering what the best one is to get? Would want something with relatively good action.

Budget of about 400. Always had a softspot for SG's and I saw one yesterday in the window for 389 quid. Open to a telecaster also

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

Cheers!

With that budget, try and get an epiphone SG, they're a pretty solid copy and it'll leave you a few euro spare to invest in a looper/effects pedal. If you're just playing around at home for fun, the Zoom G1xon is great for a ****load of effects and a fair few drumbeats (a bit limited admittedly, but you'll pick one up for about 70-90 euro). I love the SG myself, it may not look as iconic as the telecaster etc, but it plays wonderfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

This thread is a year old....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

beauf wrote: »
    This thread is a year old....

It's a vintage guitar thread now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

She got me a tele

Ive since graduated ti a Firebird

epiphone-firebird-studio-49982.jpg