Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's shocking the amount of people blaming the cyclist in the various posts on facebook.

There's one woman in particular who i really taking the p!ss. Claiming they're on the wrong side, shouldn't be 2 abreast, the usual crap. Her claims are being easily dismissed so she returns with "advice" unrelated to it anything that actually happens in the video.

This is something that happens a lot. Advice to cyclists that has nothing to do with any actual events.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Weepsie wrote: »
    There's one woman in particular who i really taking the p!ss. Claiming they're on the wrong side, shouldn't be 2 abreast, the usual crap. Her claims are being easily dismissed so she returns with "advice" unrelated to it anything that actually happens in the video.

This is something that happens a lot. Advice to cyclists that has nothing to do with any actual events.

Motorists seem to think it's their place to advise cyclists. What to wear where to cycle where not to cycle.

I think it's even sadder that people seek out niche facebook pages like the Dublin cycling campaign to air these one sided views.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Roadhawk wrote: »
    But its still illegal, and should be summons accordingly !!!

Why does it always boil down to how many deaths are directly caused from an offense. Thats like saying that cars using bus lanes is not really an issue because it doesn't directly cause fatality... only that its annoying for some road users? Yet if a gard sees a car in a bus lane you can guarantee its dealt with.

If there is an offense committed then it should be acted upon.

Not always, I've seen a Garda car driving behind cars in the bus lane during hours of operation and no one being pulled over

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    There's one woman in particular who i really taking the p!ss. Claiming they're on the wrong side, shouldn't be 2 abreast, the usual crap.
    if you mean that linds person, that's a bloke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

I've given up cycling to work in dublin city centre, it's just too dangerous. There is so much hate towards cyclists at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

groovyg wrote: »
    F****ing hell people who call themselves 'cyclists' saying they should be cycling single file and cycling as close as possible to the side of the road.
    yeah, that was a surprise. including the guy doling out that advice who admitted he only ever cycles on suburban roads as rural roads are too dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Andy Magic wrote: »
    I've given up cycling to work in dublin city centre, it's just too dangerous. There is so much hate towards cyclists at the moment.

And why is that? Dimwitted radio jocks spewing hatred.

Roadhawk wrote: »
    No there is a double standard. If a gard sees any driver on a phone, in a bus lane, speeding, without a seatbelt, etc. etc. they will absolutely pursue that driver and act on it and issue fine/points or whatever is warranted. The same cannot be said for cyclists committing an offense.

The drivers you mention not getting caught while breaking a speed limit is different.

I am in favour of the laws being enforced. The gardai show discretion when doing a couple of km over the limit but thats it.

Ah welcome back. More nonsense. Gardai let plenty of stuff from motorists fly. It's only when they're deliberately setting up to stop people in bus lanes that i ever see them stop people. So much occurs under their noses and either it's ignored or they don't see it.

Also, it's not double standards entirely. A driver speeding,or breaking a light, or texting is more dangerous than a cyclist doing so and should be dealt with more severely.

Stop bothering coming on if all you have is nonsense whataboutery. You go around in circles pretending opinion is fact and end up back where it starts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Chuchote wrote: »
    And why is that? Dimwitted radio jocks spewing hatred.

Steady on there. You don't know anything about this poster. They could have a young family depending on them, a huge mortgage. I know you campaign for cyclists safety but you have to respect the mature decisions of others, even if you don't agree with them.
    I posted a detailed account of an incident I had last Thursday and while I like cycling a lot, I thought twice about it on Friday morning.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Anyone else starting to discuss red light jumping or otherwise trying to change the topic into a discussion of cyclist behaviour can expect mod action

Any questions PM me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Andy Magic wrote: »

I'm genuinely interested if it was something specific that caused you to give it up. I have altered my own route into the city and stick to the canal and cycle/bus lanes wherever possible so I get it, but it would really take something drastic to make me give up the bike.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Steady on there. You don't know anything about this poster. They could have a young family depending on them, a huge mortgage. I know you campaign for cyclists safety but you have to respect the mature decisions of others, even if you don't agree with them.
    I posted a detailed account of an incident I had last Thursday and while I like cycling a lot, I thought twice about it on Friday morning.

Of course I respect the person's decision! I absolutely respect it and did not say or mean anything at all to suggest that I did not!

No, I was saying that the reason the roads have become perceptibly more dangerous is that some - some, not many, but enough to be dangerous - are listening to the radio jocks.

I don't campaign. I have opinions. That's different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I drove the last two days of last week, so I hope no shock on my return to daily bike commuting. I expect the usual near misses, some by careless people not wanting to wait for space to aggressive efforts to intimidate. Not much that can be done. A person can be careful, and keep cool.

I drove the last two days of last week, so I hope no shock on my return to daily bike commuting. I expect the usual near misses, some by careless people not wanting to wait for space to aggressive efforts to intimidate. Not much that can be done. A person can be careful, and keep cool.

Schools are back this week, i expect traffic to be worse but slower moving so only the biggest eejits causing issues

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Looking forward to the grid lock / slower moving traffic next week. I prefer it and because there's so little wriggle room for motorists it leaves less room for them to do silly things.

Seen a few silly moves this past few weeks with the lower traffic volumes - rampant red light breaking, speeding and undertaking in bus lanes (to pass slower if legally progressing traffic)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Lots of city incidents here... I'm just back from a week long road trip with a gang of surfing families around the Wild Atlantic Way. Mainly Kerry and Cork. Most of us would be commuter cyclists.

We discussed this thread, the carry on of motorists and cyclists and made a conscious decision to adhere to the 1.5 metre pass strictly with no excuses. We overtook about forty cyclists plus two groups of more than ten, some were over single white lines with cyclist struggling up massive mountains. Not illegal and perfectly safe and in accordance with the rules of the road.

When we felt it wasn't safe to pass cyclists most drivers behind us were ok with us, particularly rentals and foreign reg cars.

We were beeped at, flashed at, tailgated only five times in fairness... but the dodgy overtakers made it to the next village/town/slow area a few seconds ahead of us. We were surprised at how little time they made. Some of them were getting out of their cars as we trundled by. We were puzzled at their rush to get by the cyclists only to stop two kilometres down the road.

In some cases we were fully convinced cyclists were cycling 5 or even 8 abreast, and we were a bit "ah here, that's taking the piss" but (as pointed out on this thread) when we were overtaking them they were actually 2 abreast. It's like some crazy optical illusion, but drivers need to be aware of this.

Overall, we found the 1.5 metre overtake is very very workable on rural and urban roads with cyclists cycling two abreast and didn't hold us up at all.

We're experienced urban and rural motorists, some enthusiasts (myself included) and we all felt that the only ones on the road that need reeducation were the motorists.

The downhill runs for cyclists were amazing by the way, if any of you were descending the Cork and Kerry mountains - we were the 4x4 cars with surf boards on the roof behind you! Some speeds you were hitting, tucked in behind your handlebars, arse up, head down, tiny tyres!!!! great control, using front and back brakes, great to see, must be some feeling.

groovyg wrote: »
    Saw that posted to the Dublin cycling campaign Facebook page earlier and the some of the comments under the story are enough to give me a coronary https://www.facebook.com/dublincycling/
    F****ing hell people who call themselves 'cyclists' saying they should be cycling single file and cycling as close as possible to the side of the road. Do they not realise this only makes motorists do stupid and risky overtaking manoeuvres :mad:
    stickybottle has put it up on facebook - twice - and the number of people claiming to be cyclists and also blaming the cyclist is infuriating. more than a few comments about freds; an implication that because the cyclist was a bit wobbly, he brought it on himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

stickybottle has put it up on facebook - twice - and the number of people claiming to be cyclists and also blaming the cyclist is infuriating. more than a few comments about freds; an implication that because the cyclist was a bit wobbly, he brought it on himself.

A lot of people might cycle for a very little bit on Sunday, but don't commute, so they don't have a grasp of practical challenges to a safe journey. Cycling very close to the kerb will result in a puncture, and no gratitude from a motorist who sees a change to manoeuvre to the left of someone waiting to turn right.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I was cycling westbound on Turvey Avenue (Donabate, Co Dublin)) this evening on my way home from work. Two cyclists were approaching from the opposite direction cycling 2 abreast. As we were almost level with each other, a car driver closing in behind them overtakes while leaning on the horn (presumably directed at the cyclists going 2 abreast) and forces me to the edge of the road on my side.

So we had 3 people acting perfectly within the law and one idiot who pulled a dangerous and illegal stunt to save a few seconds and who will now go home talking about 'them bloody cyclists' and the danger they cause on our roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

John Rambo, that's a heartening post, thank you and cheering after the spate of near-miss stories, Sean Canney TD for same constituency as Ciaran Cannon, sponsor of 1.5m, MPD Private Members Bill was quoted in Connacht Telegraph some weeks ago saying how absurd the proposed law is, as we didn't have the right kind of roads. Two fellas were on R na G another day saying roughly the same thing, no way roads around Connemara suitable for MPD, sure you'd be in the ditch on the other side if you allowed that much room and the solution is for cyclists to wear helmets, ride single file and keep out of the way.. So lucky for ye ye, ye were in Cork and Kerry where they must have super-highways appropriate for allowing a MPD! Seriously, would you send your post to Phil Skelton of Stayin Alive at 1.5 as he'd be heartened and when/if the Bill is drawn from the lottery please also send your experience to your local TD's. Interesting you say the rental cars were mostly ok. Just back form a week cycling in Germany myself, mainly on segregated paths but not always and the respect accorded to cyclists reflected the fact I think that there it's regarded as a mainstream activity whether for leisure or transport not something engaged in by oddballs to annoy the hell out of road-tax paying motorists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

In my experience, I find sometimes when i'm travelling behind a group of cyclists that look to be travelling 3/4/5 abreast their not. In fact they are probably travelling 2 abreast but may not be travelling directly behind/in-front of each other which to a motorist looks like they are travelling more than 2 abreast. Cyclists can look staggered because of the drivers perspective.

Still no excuse for dangerous overtaking!

Two this morning, one just over Harolds Cross bridge on the way in to town where a Good Samaritan decided to stop the traffic to allow a taxi to turn right across their path, glad I had the brake pads replaced recently or I'd have gone in to the passenger door!

Second one was minutes later where someone whipped their car in to the bus lane on Cathal Brugha street only to slam on because some clown was walking his toddler daughter across the pedestrian crossing against the red pedestrian light.

Stay alert out there, there's morons everywhere!!

Harold's Cross Bridge is a menace. Really should be replaced with a flat, opening bridge. In Holland they have these, with traffic lights for when boats are coming through and the bridge has to be opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Chuchote wrote: »
    Harold's Cross Bridge is a menace. Really should be replaced with a flat, opening bridge. In Holland they have these, with traffic lights for when boats are coming through and the bridge has to be opened.

Ireland is at least 20 years behind and a whole world away in Mindset from the Dutch in terms of Infra for cyclists.. A regular Dutch person would sell there bike if he or she moved to any Irish city or town!

This is an example of how treacherous that bridge is for cyclists:

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Ireland is at least 20 years behind and a whole world away in Mindset from the Dutch in terms of Infra for cyclists.. A regular Dutch person would sell there bike if he or she moved to any Irish city or town!

This is an example of how treacherous that bridge is for cyclists:

The whole stretch of road leading up to that bridge is a pain in the hole, you've got private traffic hugging the kerb in the bus lane the whole way and once you get as far as the bridge it's a mad scramble for space getting through the lights. Same thing the whole way down to Patrick street, private vehicles in the bus lane, cars whipping in & out of lanes, it's just manic from there on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    The whole stretch of road leading up to that bridge is a pain in the hole, you've got private traffic hugging the kerb in the bus lane the whole way and once you get as far as the bridge it's a mad scramble for space getting through the lights. Same thing the whole way down to Patrick street, private vehicles in the bus lane, cars whipping in & out of lanes, it's just manic from there on.

I find that junction lethal. Cyclists have so much against them its madness. Over the past few weeks the road works on the inner lane has squeezed both lanes in and made it more treacherous. Use it at your peril as motorists are taking no prisoners given how quick the lights change and red light runners.

from the perspective of the video above, it's kinda surprising there's a right turn allowed. that said though, how many junctions crossing the canal allow right turns onto the canal for motorists coming from the south?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

from the perspective of the video above, it's kinda surprising there's a right turn allowed. that said though, how many junctions crossing the canal allow right turns onto the canal for motorists coming from the south?

Thats one - Clogher Road is another but less busy. Dolphins Barn does not allow. Not sure of others. It is a badly organised with how little time on the lights especially with it being a main roadway coming into the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

and as the video shows, cars going straight on from the left hand lane will dominate the bike lane in the process too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Danjamin1 wrote: »

I don't even like driving that stretch of road, never mind cycling it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement