Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sealing gaps in pipes in hot press

• 19-09-2020 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭

I have mice in attic so seeing what should be sealed up and noticed big gaps around pipes coming into hot press from floor boards. Probably should have sealed them up years ago.

I was going to use foam to seal them up but they are pretty big gaps so not should foam would work?

Is there anything else folk would recommend. I don’t think pipe collars would work as skirting board is in the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Photo attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If this is the second floor to first floor then don't bother. You should concentrate on mice traps. No internal to internal holes.

If you seal that with foam and have a plumbing issue it will be a disaster to crack open the joints.

Holes from outside to inside should be sealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

listermint wrote: »
    If this is the second floor to first floor then don't bother. You should concentrate on mice traps. No internal to internal holes.

If you seal that with foam and have a plumbing issue it will be a disaster to crack open the joints.

definetly dont seal them up in a permanant way. they look like push fittings to me

listermint wrote: »

Thanks. Sealed outside was some pretty big holes especially where gas meter is.

Those Holes are upstairs going down to ground. Would you not recommend sealing them at all. Just concerned if they got In and moved around they could out from the floorboards via those gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

I'd wrap some pvc tape around then then use expanding foam to seal,
    My reason for suggesting the tape first; is because the foam will the bond to the tape and not the pipes, making it much more uniform to remove in the unfortunate event that there was ever a leak

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

use poison to kill mice you need to fil holes in eves outside first to keep mice out of attic
    mice can get out in half inch gap get flashlight
    tourch go all round walls look for poo and put down poison they like to live in kitchen behind stove and under fridge look for holes near roof

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    use poison to kill mice you need to fil holes in eves outside first to keep mice out of attic
    mice can get out in half inch gap get flashlight
    tourch go all round walls look for poo and put down poison they like to live in kitchen behind stove and under fridge look for holes near roof

Thanks. There is a few tears in the Insulation sheet in the roof in the attic. Presume they are an access point for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

I would use some thin plywood to lay down to hide holes - cutting around the shape of the pipes.
    Any problems -removing a few screws and it can be taken up to gain access.

Advertisement