Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wild camping Wicklow Tomorrow

• 18-09-2020 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi I was looking for some advice on wild camping in Wicklow tomorrow for a couple of nights. There'll be three of us.

First of all can anyone suggest any places that might just be a couple of miles walk from the Glendalough bus stop? It doesn't necessarily have to be that stop just to place where we can pick a couple of tenths and get lost in the countryside somewhere. Also I was wondering because of the covid-19 lockdown are the forests and and fields being scoured by rangers and instantly removing people trying to camp?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd suspect you'd have more hassle from rangers worried you'd be abandoning your camping gear, than they would about policing covid restrictions.

i'd suspect you'd have more hassle from rangers worried you'd be abandoning your camping gear, than they would about policing covid restrictions.

they are more worried about human faeces and toilet roll about the place I would say

Hi I was looking for some advice on wild camping in Wicklow tomorrow for a couple of nights. There'll be three of us.

First of all can anyone suggest any places that might just be a couple of miles walk from the Glendalough bus stop? It doesn't necessarily have to be that stop just to place where we can pick a couple of tenths and get lost in the countryside somewhere. Also I was wondering because of the covid-19 lockdown are the forests and and fields being scoured by rangers and instantly removing people trying to camp?

https://www.wicklowmountainsnationalpark.ie/getting-here/accommodation/

Definitely going out of their way to not encourage it!
    Within the National Park, camping is not permitted in the valley of Glendalough. This rule is vigorously enforced, and campers will be moved on. Visitors arriving in Glendalough with a tent should be aware that they will need to walk for at least 3 hours before they can find a site that complies with the Wild Camping code.

Once you have hiked beyond the entire valley of Glendalough, into the greater National Park, ‘wild camping’ is permitted. Visitors undertaking multi-day hiking trips and seeking a wilderness experience, are welcome to camp in remote places within the National Park, provided they observe the code of practice known as “the Wild Camping Code”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭adocholiday

You can't camp anywhere in the Glendalough Valley. There's a map of the wider area here: https://www.wicklowmountainsnationalpark.ie/getting-here/map-of-the-national-park/

A potentially good spot (I've never been there) near Glendalough is the Brusher Gap hut. To get there you walk to the Brockagh visitor centre in Laragh. There's a walking trail there that's part of the Wicklow Way and it brings you towards Annamoe. If the hut is in use I'm sure there are other sites nearby that would be suitable for a tent or two but maybe try to find out for sure before going!

An alternative place is Glenmalure which is a very popular camping spot but in recent months there's been droves of absolute scumbags going there and they have destroyed the place. If it's quiet it really is a lovely place to camp but if busy it's a nightmare. With the schools back and the weather a bit cooler it might have calmed down a bit now. Also I've no idea if you can get there without your own car but if you can it's probably your best bet.

There are loads of places to wild camp in Wicklow, but I live not too far from Glendalough and it's the last place I'd go to find a camping spot. Lots of options a bit closer to Dublin like Crone Woods and the areas around Maulin and Djouce peaks. Alternatively I know plenty of people head for the Glencree area and in towards the Sally Gap but again I've never gone wild camping there so can't advise of any particular spots. One thing to remember is that many people that love wild camping protect the spots that they find and don't advertise them, so it can be hard to find stuff online about places to go. But if you are within the bounds of the National Park you should be grand.

Advertisement