Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Benefit vs Allowance

• 17-09-2020 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

A friend of mine has been on illlness benefit for over a year and that's her entitlement. This will end next month so she has to start claiming an allowance, instead of benefit. So, now she is filling in her claim but they ask if she has a partner... she has had a partner but they werent living together until last year - should she have notified the Welfare when she moved with her partner? I do not think she would have lost any moneys because she is/was receing illness Benefit (not allowance) but now of course if she gets the allowance she will be loosing a few euros... or am I wrong?
    She is just afraid that she will be made to pay back money but I dont think so because she had an illness benefit not allowance. So, my belief is that she wont have to pay anything back for her illness benefit, but now when she goes into her illness allowance or whatever its called, then she will get money deducted from her allowance - am I correct?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Is she applying for Disability Allowance or Invalidity Pension?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭whydoibother

Is she applying for Disability Allowance or Invalidity Pension?

She’s applying for invalidity not disability. She has worked for over 20 years. But why do you ask that? Does it make a difference?
    I’d like to know if when she was being paid her illness benefit, should she have told the welfare when she moved in with her partner or is it ok because she was on benefit so she was entitled to it anyway.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Do you have another thread about this

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭whydoibother

Gatling wrote: »
    Do you have another thread about this

Not about this. I have another thread about this person when she was deciding whether to apply for invalidity or disability. Now that she’s decided what she should do, she finally got the invalidity papers to apply but this question has arisen. Therefore, this a new question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭SourSessions

She’s applying for invalidity not disability. She has worked for over 20 years. But why do you ask that? Does it make a difference?
    I’d like to know if when she was being paid her illness benefit, should she have told the welfare when she moved in with her partner or is it ok because she was on benefit so she was entitled to it anyway.
    Thanks.

Because Invalidity Pension is not means tested and Disability Allowance is. Neither Illness Benefit nor Invalidity Pension is means tested so her partner's wages won't be taken into account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Illness benefit is given in the applicants own right. It's nothing to do with her partner so wouldn't matter if she's living with the partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

I thought illness benefit was available for a full 2 year period?

Advertisement