Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Police shootings, vigilante shootings, and Black Lives Matter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Overheal wrote: »
    Yet black people are treated unfairly when they are interacted with by police because of these preconceived notions. "Oh a black person, good chance they're a criminal." "A white person, nothing unusual there"

An empty generalisation, devoid of context and substance.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    50% of arrests for violent crime which isn't the same thing..

The vast majority of murders are by people who know each other either family members, friends or neighbours. So yes it's mostly black people killing black people, whites killing whites, hispanics killing hispanics.

Violent crime tends to be associated more with poorer neighbourhoods anyway, same with countries. Outside the US every highly developed nation has low homicide rates. In Europe the poorest nations like Moldova and Estonia the homicide rate is much higher.

The vast majority of people in us prisons aren't there for violent crime though. Majority are there for drug offences. You are 12 times more likely to be convicted of a crime and sent to prison if caught with drugs in the US if you are black instead of white!

50% of murders, according to FBI data. That's not something to be had waved away. The violence seen in black communities is endemic and largely ignored by politicians in favour of stoking outrage

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Once again violence and crime tends to be endemic to poorer neighbourhoods not black neighbourhoods in particular.

The argument that politicians in the US ignore crime is nonsense. Nowhere on earth has a bigger prison population per capita than the US. The American police are basically militarized in nature and the US is quickly becoming a police state.. that doesn't happen without the full backing and financial support of politicians on both sides.

Instead of dealing with the actual issues and causes of crime ie poverty, lack of education, facilities etc the US governments have continued to arm police with more weapons, built more prisons and arrested more citizens.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'm sure the members of their own communities, who have seen their businesses destroyed might have something to say.

To call black people in the US oppressed is laughable. They live in one of the best societies in the world, that's statistically safer than at anytime previously. They enjoy numerous privileges and advantages afforded them under the auspices of equality.

Those uppity black lads should just shut up and count their blessings?

You realise that people said exactly the same sort of tripe during the civil rights movement in the 60s.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Brian? wrote: »

You realise that people said exactly the same sort of tripe during the civil rights movement in the 60s.

And 100 years before that. They even fought a war over it. Trump supports the side that lost.

• Advertisement

It wasn't Uppity Blacks claiming they are oppressed, it was posters on here. Please tell me how you feel they are oppressed? Having worked extensively in countries where the government actually oppresses it's citizens, I can say it's an utterly fallacious argument.

It wasn't Uppity Blacks claiming they are oppressed, it was posters on here. Please tell me how you feel they are oppressed? Having worked extensively in countries where the government actually oppresses it's citizens, I can say it's an utterly fallacious argument.

Oppression isn’t some sort of binary situation. There are degrees.

How are they oppressed? They’re six times more likely to be shot dead by the police than white men. I think that’s the most salient point for this thread.

Nice deflection by the way. Your point of “why are people complaining, they’ve never had it better” is comically bad. Fallacious some might say.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,955 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

everlast75 wrote: »
    This guy has Carlson and Coulter painting him out to be a hero. You have Gaetz calling for more.

You have this guy front and centre at a Trump rally.

As ridiculous as it sounds, whilst he won't be invited, expect words from DJT both sides-ing the incident.

The above post was about the shooter.

And here you have it

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1300079126783688713?s=09

Oppression isn’t some sort of binary situation. There are degrees.

How are they oppressed? They’re six times more likely to be shot dead by the police than white men. I think that’s the most salient point for this thread.

Nice deflection by the way. Your point of “why are people complaining, they’ve never had it better” is comically bad. Fallacious some might say.

Again that statistic that conveniently ignores why they might be more likely to be shot ( by black and Hispanic officers to boot). You, undoubtedly, posit that to racism. I would say it's due to the higher levels of criminality on their communities, specifically violent crime.

As to your second, US society is safer than it has ever been historically. Crime and murder rates have been falling for decades. That's all easily verifiable, unlike many of the generalisations you are prone to issuing.

Again that statistic that conveniently ignores why they might be more likely to be shot ( by black and Hispanic officers to boot). You, undoubtedly, posit that to racism. I would say it's due to the higher levels of criminality on their communities, specifically violent crime.

Some if is due to higher crime rates among minority communities. The statistic doesn't "conveniently ignore" anything, it's a number incapable of feeling.

As to your second, US society is safer than it has ever been historically. Crime and murder rates have been falling for decades. That's all easily verifiable, unlike many of the generalisations you are prone to issuing.

By this logic no would ever protest anything, each generation has it better because the last generation made positive changes to improve society. If everyone just sat on their hands now and did nothing there would be zero progression.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

It would be extremely short sighted to think this is about the people murdered recently by police officers. The protesters are angry because this has been happening unseen for decades. The police are murdering black men because that’s what they’ve always done and always gotten away with it.

This is the first generation where everyone walks around with a video camera in their pocket, so a light is being shone on the problem. Imagine how it feels to know this had been happening and you’ve been ignored for decades.

If I was an African American I’m not sure I’d be as restrained as these protesters.

Black people represent 12.7% of the American population but are responsible for 52% of the crime. The protesters instead of being angry at white people need to look in the mirror and ask the hard questions.

Black people represent 12.7% of the American population but are responsible for 52% of the crime. The protesters instead of being angry at white people need to look in the mirror and ask the hard questions.

Would you hire a black person?

OP - based on my statistic that they are now likely to commit crime, absolutely not!

Also OP - Jesus, why don't they get a job and stop committing crime!?

https://twitter.com/WarOnDumb/status/1299714854819893249?s=19

There's only one way this is going, and that's trump and his minions pushing violence ahead of November, and that's because he can't win on the economy.

There's only one side calling for a reduction in violence. Enough of this both sides nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Water John wrote: »
    And 100 years before that. They even fought a war over it. Trump supports the side that lost.

Wasn't Abraham Lincoln a republican?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Trump doesn't support republicans

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Those cops know it's not like the movies where one shot and someone is down. If Blake reaches the front seat and has a gun he will likely get shots away before he can be stopped. He is a big strong man.

Cops who are out on the beat every day are not going to let things get that close to disaster or else they know one day they will be killed in the line of duty.

The cops that shot Blake will not be convicted.

Shoot first, ask questions later. I don't think that's regarded as proper policing. So they shot Blake because he might have been going for a gun.

Let's not even go into the three children in the line of fire.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yes. But the racists lost the war.

Trump doesn't support republicans

You've got that the wrong way round. He's the Leader of the Republican Party. Not the Jim Crow law supporting Democrat party.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yes. But the racists lost the war.

You mean the Democrats who voted against the 13th amendment?

• Advertisement

The numbers are not correct and even if they were those are convictions and once again a black man is 12 times more likely to be convicted and sent to prison than a white person if both are caught with the same drugs on them...

Nobody is blaming white people. People are blaming the over the top reactions of the police in the US towards black people. The police have taken it upon themselves to be judge, jury and executioner.

You've got that the wrong way round. He's the Leader of the Republican Party. Not the Jim Crow law supporting Democrat party.

Yet Trump and his supporters are the one protesting the removal of the Jim Crow era statues and flying confederate flags...

everlast75 wrote: »
    Would you hire a black person?

OP - based on my statistic that they are now likely to commit crime, absolutely not!

Also OP - Jesus, why don't they get a job and stop committing crime!?

Not having a job is a reason to commit a crime now is it?

Shoot first, ask questions later. I don't think that's regarded as proper policing. So they shot Blake because he might have been going for a gun.

Let's not even go into the three children in the line of fire.

You're talking about the guy who had just broken in to a woman's apartment, sexually assaulted her in her sleep and stole her car keys? Who fought police when they tried to arrest him, was unsuccessfully tazered, and refused to stop from opening his car door, despite having guns drawn on him?

Those poor kids

rossie1977 wrote: »
    The numbers are not correct and even if they were those are convictions and once again a black man is 12 times more likely to be convicted and sent to prison than a white person if both are caught with the same drugs on them...

Nobody is blaming white people. People are blaming the over the top reactions of the police in the US towards black people. The police have taken it upon themselves to be judge, jury and executioner.

Again wrong. SOME police have taken it upon themselves.

Why is it okay for you to paint the police all with the same brush but if someone wrongfully accuses black people of all being violent and criminals you'd have a hissy fit.

You're talking about the guy who had just broken in to a woman's apartment, sexually assaulted her in her sleep and stole her car keys? Who fought police when they tried to arrest him, was unsuccessfully tazered, and refused to stop from opening his car door, despite having guns drawn on him?

Those poor kids

And was unarmed, not yet convicted of anything and with his three children.

And was unarmed, not yet convicted of anything and with his three children.

He had a weapon. I'm glad you can ignore his actions on the day. Am I allowed to do whatever I want if a child is present?

Not having a job is a reason to commit a crime now is it?

How fantastic never to have experienced poverty, prejudice or desperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

He had a weapon. I'm glad you can ignore his actions on the day. Am I allowed to do whatever I want if a child is present?

He didnt *have* a weapen, there was a weapon in the car.

There is no doubt that he made some bad decision, but none of them should have resulted in being shot 7 times.

If it did then Irish people would be shot by the hundreds daily while in the US.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    He didnt *have* a weapen, there was a weapon in the car.

There is no doubt that he made some bad decision, but none of them should have resulted in being shot 7 times.

If it did then Irish people would be shot by the hundreds daily while in the US.

What was he doing when he was shot, again? What was he doing prior to getting shot?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement