Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food in Cahersiveen and Waterville

• 14-08-2020 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for recommendations for a place to have lunch in Cahersiveen or Waterville. Not sure which town we will be stopping in yet. One of the people travelling has a fairly plain palate so just looking for a meat and two veg/carvery type of place.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Hi,

Looking for recommendations for a place to have lunch in Cahersiveen or Waterville. Not sure which town we will be stopping in yet. One of the people travelling has a fairly plain palate so just looking for a meat and two veg/carvery type of place.

Thanks

The Butler Arns in Waterville might be worth a look .

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Hi,

Thanks

Try O'Neills at Renard Point for some of the best fish, not sure if the do Carvery, go down to Portmagee and try The Bridge Bar or the Moorings or travel beyond Waterville to the Scariff Inn and enjoy one of the best views in Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Food in the Kerry Coast Inn in Cahirsiveen is very good. Should fit your needs. On the left as you come into the town from the Killorglin side.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

Degag wrote: »
    Food in the Kerry Coast Inn in Cahirsiveen is very good. Should fit your needs. On the left as you come into the town from the Killorglin side.

I'm fairly sure the Kerry Coast Inn is closed permanently.

It's for sale anyway: https://www.daft.ie/kerry/commercial-property-for-sale/restaurant-hotel-bar-for-sale/ref-860-kerry-coast-hotel-franks-bar-89-church-street-cahersiveen-kerry-920598/

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

newman10 wrote: »
    Try O'Neills at Renard Point for some of the best fish

I agree. The Point is excellent.

You have to reserve a table now.

www.oneillsthepoint.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Stopped in Cahersiveen today at lunchtime and couldn't find anywhere open. Ended up with a roll out of Spar. Don't know are places opening later in the day but was honestly shocked to see nothing at lunchtime. Suppose with no tour buses running there might be no demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dobss77

try The Oratory Pizza. Lovely food. Theoratorywinebar.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Radio5

Cafe Siveen or Camos are lovely in Cahirsiveen usually. I presume they are open but you'd need to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭seamusk84

dobss77 wrote: »
    try The Oratory Pizza. Lovely food. Theoratorywinebar.com

+1

I spent a weekend in Cahersiveen a few weeks back. The pizza in the Oratory is fantastic! Genuinely was very surprised with it.

Also shout of out QC's just down from it too (restaurant & hotel). Good food there if you are into seafood...Guinness isn't bad either.
    They even did me up a nice veterinarian curry.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Radio5 wrote: »
    Cafe Siveen or Camos are lovely in Cahirsiveen usually. I presume they are open but you'd need to check.
    Camo's is open, at least in the evening. Was there recently but thought what I had was only average.

Also ate in Smuggler's in Waterville recently. Food there is absolutely top notch IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I stayed in Cahersiveen early July. It was a challenge to find restaurants that were open for dinner mid-week! The oratory was open on the Wednesday though and it was surprisingly good. Slow service, but tasty pizza in a unique building.

We resorted to the local chinese restaurant on the Thursday (didn't fancy pizza two nights in a row!). It was grand, but nothing to write home about.

Camo's was open for dinner on the Friday. It was surprisingly good! Decent food and very good service. We weren't in Cahersiveen for lunch any of the days, but when we passed by Camo's during the afternoon on the Wednesday, they were open.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Had our last meal out before lockdown in Dooley's in Waterville and it was tremendous, all 5 of us really enjoyed it. We were looking forward so much to going back there again and went back 4 weeks ago, it was the biggest disappointment ever. The standard of the food fell off a cliff, we had 5 different meals and none of us were impressed.

The eldest lad ordered lobster and got his meal 10 minutes later than the rest of us, it was seriously a large spoon of lobster paste served in a brioche hot dog roll.

They'll be waiting a long time before they see anymore of my hard earned money.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Is the three star hotel in Caherciveen on the outskirts of the town still there? I have had some lovely dinners there. Haven't been in ages though. Also the fancier hotel in Waterville has some nice dining. Bar food or restaurant. The bar is quite small though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

We ate at the smugglers inn a few weeks ago, it was very tasty. Prawn starter and black sole for main were top drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Is the three star hotel in Caherciveen on the outskirts of the town still there? I have had some lovely dinners there. Haven't been in ages though. Also the fancier hotel in Waterville has some nice dining. Bar food or restaurant. The bar is quite small though.

Wondering that? I'm heading that direction on Friday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

finbarrk wrote: »
    Wondering that? I'm heading that direction on Friday week.

I think the hotel you are referring to is now or was a direct provision centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

Hubertj wrote: »
    I think the hotel you are referring to is now or was a direct provision centre.

No. The poster said the outskirts of the town so I'd say they mean the Ring of Kerry hotel. Its across the road from SuperValu and still very much there! The DP centre was very much in the centre of town. There's lots of work being done to it now - new signage, a playground at the rear. Not sure what the plans are for it but hopefully it reverts back to accommodation for visitors rather than going dormant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

If the course is open then Waterville golf course does great food and there is an amazing view from the new clubhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

SeaFields wrote: »
    No. The poster said the outskirts of the town so I'd say they mean the Ring of Kerry hotel. Its across the road from SuperValu and still very much there! The DP centre was very much in the centre of town. There's lots of work being done to it now - new signage, a playground at the rear. Not sure what the plans are for it but hopefully it reverts back to accommodation for visitors rather than going dormant.

Yes, that's the one! Cosy place to eat.

Advertisement