Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Timmaay wrote: »
    2.5 mp sr definitely gives alot more room for hmm experiments to go wrong tho ha. But agreed in general always time for some sort of experiments, I would however like to see alot more work from teagasc etc pushing all this, giving more of an incentive and removing some of the risk from the farmers, say your currently taking on the full risk yourself now, and I you already admitted some of the salt water completely backfired on you?

3.5, 3.5.

Everything I've done though has built up the mineral status in the soil.
    So even say like I got hammered in 2018 with the drought. When my neighbour was still grazing away.
    That was because of the sodium levels in my soil being high from the basalt spread the year before and the diluted seawater.
    But on the plus side from all these mineral applications, this winter I was able to drop the minerals being fed. And there's never been an issue with clean outs or topping these last few years.

Every action you'll learn from. And what works or doesn't on my farm probably will be different on someone else's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭mf240

I can say too much too. :pac:

A few visitors just after leaving there.
    Genuinely seemed interested in a different approach and the whole visit was about the above.
    I could be famous yet! :p

I've a few theories myself but while they make sense in my head. When I try to write them down sometimes they make no sense.

I do think that nothing but heavily fertilised and pure "!rocket fuel " grass is not a complete diet for cows. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭cosatron

mf240 wrote: »
    I've a few theories myself but while they make sense in my head. When I try to write them down sometimes they make no sense.

I do think that nothing but heavily fertilised and pure "!rocket fuel " grass is not a complete diet for cows. .

Nothing wrong with an extended rotation and a bit stem, I think it balances up the lush stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 28,917 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Yesterday evening was the first time in months the cows refused to go into a paddock here. Its actually the best growing paddock I have along the river. We got them in and they were happy in it then. It was the second grazing in it. I reckon they are spoilt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just a quick note for Kerry suppliers, rumour has it that the tax claim by Revenue on patronage shares has been withdrawn.

As soon as I get a link on that, I'll throw it up unless one of you gets it before me.

Interesting times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭alps

And kills calves

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Grueller

Just finished getting in 21 acres of bales. Some skipped paddocks and 14 acres saved for second cut. Growing 5 weeks. 140 bales of what should be fairly good stuff. That's me sorted for winter now barring a paddock or 2 getting ahead of me but that's optimistic in late July.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

alps wrote: »
    And kills calves

And the rest of the world that is predominantly indoor has better incalf rates than ireland on balanced TMR diets?.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

And the rest of the world that is predominantly indoor has better incalf rates than ireland on balanced TMR diets?.

That could well be to do more with breeding than anything else, when in winter milk my autumn heifers always had a higher conception rate than spring. Numbers too small to come to a conclusion but thats the way it was here. Either way I'd say alps may be referring to the calf on the ground grazing? I may be wrong now, he can speak for himself lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Mooooo wrote: »
    That could well be to do more with breeding than anything else, when in winter milk my autumn heifers always had a higher conception rate than spring. Numbers too small to come to a conclusion but thats the way it was here. Either way I'd say alps may be referring to the calf on the ground grazing? I may be wrong now, he can speak for himself lol.

High n causing embryonic death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭jaymla627

alps wrote: »
    And kills calves

In our around 17% is the perfect protein level in a milking cows diet, we all have heard the teagasc lectures about the follys of feeding high protein nuts and their been no need for it, but they have yet to advise against feeding too a high protein grass that is way and above a cows dietary needs, that is actually determential to her rumen function, often had butterfats here of 3.4% for nearly all of may/june when grass and meal in the parlour was the diet, since i started giving a high fibre tmr mix daily to counteract the rocket fuel grass bf levlels arent going below 3.9% for may/june often over 4%, it tells its own story

High n causing embryonic death.

Yeah I also think that's an issue but I assume majority are going little and often, obviously burst of growth can cause more to come at once. Is mj getting the grass tested regularly? How's it coming back for different growth rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭alps

?

Think we not be on the same wavelength

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭minerleague

Couple of years ago local dairy farmer approached me as was short of bales going into winter. brought a couple (haylage type) and dropped into round feeders. A couple of days later brought a few more and met farmer, asked how did first 2 go? "Aw shure they"ll do to dry off the cows i suppose" :rolleyes: Anyway up the yard i went to drop off my 2 bales ( 2 other feeders had these pancake rocket fuel paddock bales in them ) As soon as i dropped in my bale there was a stampede of cows down the yard to that feeder. Dont know what that says but a little variety in the diet is no harm for man or beast:cool:

Just a quick note for Kerry suppliers, rumour has it that the tax claim by Revenue on patronage shares has been withdrawn.

As soon as I get a link on that, I'll throw it up unless one of you gets it before me.

Interesting times.

Here it is, the ruling is expected to be published on Monday.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/breaking-kerry-farmers-win-appeal-case-against-revenue-over-patronage-shares-559140

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭straight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

It's starting with Conor Creedon, isn't it? That's challenging ground, that farm:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

It's starting with Conor Creedon, isn't it? That's challenging ground, that farm:)

Finishing with Conor

Live q&a for 3 hosts on Thursday

Is it all tweets or is it video? Will be on the road for a a few hours in the morning could listen away if it can play away. If not I'll catch up on Twitter later in the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Interesting trial of feeding biochar to a dairy herd in south Australia.
    Dung beetles are further used to incorporate the dung biochar mixture deep into the soil.

https://youtu.be/LaCbEJm_c3U

Quoted benefits from the trial were increased milk yield and reduced feed intake.

Anybody use much of FR4854 this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I didn’t but I know 3 who did one would of used him heavily let’s just say there not happy ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭straight

What happened Fr4728. Kilfeacle Pivotal. He seems to be gone off the active list.

What's wrong with him?

What's wrong with him?

He put very little cows/heifers in calf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

mahoney_j wrote: »
    He put very little cows/heifers in calf
    You'd think they could test for that?
    Anyway the 9 other bulls used will probably average it out.

You'd think they could test for that?
    Anyway the 9 other bulls used will probably average it out.

Use of these genomic bulls needs to come with a health warning reliability of them dropped big time advice before was 6 bulls now 10
    Plus and they maintain relability is improving

What's wrong with him?

Something along the lines of zero conceptions. One local big operation is supposed to have used 200 of his straws:eek:

• Advertisement

Did the same happen with a "top" je bull as well?. Surely semen fertility should be step 1 in any bull put to the market...

Advertisement