Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*Ceramic* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Fredinho wrote: »
    Same principle

Bono is a budget model, Joe is a premium recognised brand name. They do exactly the same thing.

Any input regarding quality? Looks like bono has life time warranty on the ceramics, similar to Joe. I just couldn't really justify a 1.5-2k price if the core principle is similar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Bought the Bono Grande today. Let's see when they deliver

does it come with deflector plate ect included ?

Any input regarding quality? Looks like bono has life time warranty on the ceramics, similar to Joe. I just couldn't really justify a 1.5-2k price if the core principle is similar

I'm not familiar with either brand but at the end of the day they are just ceramic pots.
    Its the name/accessories you are paying for.
    I'm tempted to get one of the mini ones.
    I missed out on the aldi ones

Mine is a "la hacienda" brand.I've seen other ones in the shops (kamado joe,BGE ,etc) and the build doesn't seem any better or worse.
    I think the "budget" ones are all from the same factory just rebranded or different finishes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fredinho

I'm not familiar brand with either brand but at the end of the day they are just ceramic pots.
    Its the name/accessories you are paying for.
    I'm tempted to get one of the mini ones.
    I missed out on the aldi ones

Mine is a "la hacienda" brand.I've seen other ones in the shops (kamado joe,BGE ,etc) and the build doesn't seem any better or worse.
    I think the "budget" ones are all from the same factory just rebranded or different finishes etc.

Pretty much this, you're paying the premium price for a market leader. It's like choosing between a Skoda and VW or Audi. They're all the exact same thing, you're paying more for the badge on them.

I have a BGE and a Bono and there's very little to no difference between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lisij

Same principle

Bono is a budget model, Joe is a premium recognised brand name. They do exactly the same thing.

Thank you, ill stick with joe

• Advertisement

lisij wrote: »
    Thank you, ill stick with joe

You'll not regret it at all. Amazing pieces of kit and your oven will become redundant ;) Happy grilling

foodaholic wrote: »
    does it come with deflector plate ect included ?

As far as I know it does. Comes with a dual grill plate and I think the deflector is part of it

As far as I know it does. Comes with a dual grill plate and I think the deflector is part of it

you'll have to do an unboxing video !!

you'll have to do an unboxing video !!

6 weeks for delivery and, on top of that, while cooking ribs on my gas grill, one of the screws broke. Need to fix it this Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Yeah, the grill and the deflector plates are both split into 2 half moons and there are three positions for the grate.

So you can have
    grate low, no deflector =direct grilling (steak)
    grate high, deflector low = low n slow (ribs)
    grate high, deflector medium = roasting (chicken)
    Etc.

and you can have different setups for each half of the grill.

• Advertisement

twerg_85 wrote: »
    Yeah, the grill and the deflector plates are both split into 2 half moons and there are three positions for the grate.

So you can have
    grate low, no deflector =direct grilling (steak)
    grate high, deflector low = low n slow (ribs)
    grate high, deflector medium = roasting (chicken)
    Etc.

and you can have different setups for each half of the grill.

Will get it in April. Wait is not nice. Last Thursday the lot of my gas grill broke and took me a while to fix. Can’t wait to have a reliable system

6 weeks for delivery and, on top of that, while cooking ribs on my gas grill, one of the screws broke. Need to fix it this Saturday.

It knows your trading it in for a newer model :D

It knows your trading it in for a newer model :D

It was fixed. She’s temperamental, but she’s my grill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Doesn’t look like we will be going on holiday this year so I think I’m going to spend a bit of money around the house/garden. A ceramic bbq has been very much on the want list for years but I was always put off by the price.

What’s the consensus on size, better to be a size up from what you typically need? Having watched a load of YouTube videos, I’m leaning towards the Kamado Joe. The classic would probably cover most of our needs as there are only 3 of us but there are 5+ times a year where we would have more people around (5/6 adults and 4 kids) so I’m wondering if we should spend the extra to get into a big joe. We have the space for it but it looks massive and I wonder if it’s overkill for us.

Has anyone went larger and regretted it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

That’s hilarious! :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 64478339

This is a very helpful thread thank you everyone! I was between a kamado joe and kamado bono but I'm going ahead and purchasing the Kamado Bono, looking forward to smoking and grilling very soon!

64478339 wrote: »
    This is a very helpful thread thank you everyone! I was between a kamado joe and kamado bono but I'm going ahead and purchasing the Kamado Bono, looking forward to smoking and grilling very soon!

I’m waiting for mine. What size did you go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 64478339

I’m waiting for mine. What size did you go for?

I have gone for the media size. it is bigger than the kamado joe classic so should do the job!

64478339 wrote: »
    I have gone for the media size. it is bigger than the kamado joe classic so should do the job!

I went for the grande myself. The wife still doesn't know

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Pretty much this, you're paying the premium price for a market leader. It's like choosing between a Skoda and VW or Audi. They're all the exact same thing, you're paying more for the badge on them.

I have a BGE and a Bono and there's very little to no difference between them.
    always hear that line from folk, but you know who doesn't say that? anyone who has driven all 3. i've owned all 3 and the differences re a lot more than the badge.

is the difference linear? no, you certinaly pay for the badge, but you're paying for a lot more than that.

i've a KJ, the biggest difference i see is the slo-roller, so far haven't seen anyone come up with a viable competitor to that. it's also the option i;ve used most in mine, and is tied to one of the main reasons most people go to eggs, which is low and slow cooking.

i'm sure there is nothing wrong with the bono, and it may well be better value for money, but no-one should kid themself into thinking they are getting the same level of performance for much less money.

mossym wrote: »
    always hear that line from folk, but you know who doesn't say that? anyone who has driven all 3. i've owned all 3 and the differences re a lot more than the badge.

is the difference linear? no, you certinaly pay for the badge, but you're paying for a lot more than that.

i've a KJ, the biggest difference i see is the slo-roller, so far haven't seen anyone come up with a viable competitor to that. it's also the option i;ve used most in mine, and is tied to one of the main reasons most people go to eggs, which is low and slow cooking.

i'm sure there is nothing wrong with the bono, and it may well be better value for money, but no-one should kid themself into thinking they are getting the same level of performance for much less money.

I understand what you’re saying here, but, is the difference between a classic 3 with a sloroller (2k) vs a Bono without it (700-800 euro) worth it? The principle is similar, and until recently, the older KJ all came without it. For me, I prefer to spend the 1.3 k in good meat! I understand that that’s just my opinion.

I understand what you’re saying here, but, is the difference between a classic 3 with a sloroller (2k) vs a Bono without it (700-800 euro) worth it? The principle is similar, and until recently, the older KJ all came without it. For me, I prefer to spend the 1.3 k in good meat! I understand that that’s just my opinion.

I'd be happy with €1,300 in good meat too.

I'd be happy with €1,300 in good meat too.

10 kg of Kobe ribeye steaks in Higgins

Nothing wrong with that

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

I understand what you’re saying here, but, is the difference between a classic 3 with a sloroller (2k) vs a Bono without it (700-800 euro) worth it?
    i think that's a question each person has to answer for themselves. if the difference is 6 months wages that a big difference than if its a weeks.

honesly the bono, from pictures looks a lot closer to the classic 2 than the classic 3, so thats a more realistic price comparision. if i was to pick on the bono vs. a 3 its:

very flimsy looking cart/legs ( not a big deal, i built my own table for my KJ, so you remove this as an issue immediatly if you are diy savvy, may be bigger factor if not)
    no coal basket ( this is a bigger one than it may seem, although i see it's available as an extra)
    no slo-roller - as i said, important for me and i imagine if you really want to do low and slow, might not be for others
    top facing vent, not great in rain, KJ had this for a while but moved away from it

none of them are major, i think the bono looks a great but for the money. but you asked was the difference worth it? to me 100%. to someone else, maybe not .both opinions are valid. but it's also daft to say they are the exact same thing under a different name, that's the point i was making

you will abslutely love the bono, no doubt about it. enjoy it

I saw them this morning and posted a pic in the Chat thread. The most amazing marbling I ever seen. Goodness know what they'd be charging though. :eek:

I saw them this morning and posted a pic in the Chat thread. The most amazing marbling I ever seen. Goodness know what they'd be charging though. :eek:

Last time I checked 130/kg the ribeye. Hence 10 kg for 1300 euro. :D

What chat thread?

Last time I checked 130/kg the ribeye. Hence 10 kg for 1300 euro. :D

What chat thread?

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058019068/92/#post116489881 pic is a couple from the bottom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 cabo

My new Kamado Bono arrived today and in the middle of putting it together now. Can anyone advise where I can pick up natural fire lighters this time of year. Usually pick them up in lidl when they have their bbq specials.

Advertisement