Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need an engrossing show to keep my mind off the current madness

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

km79 wrote: »
    This or Luther ?
    They are very different shows.
    If you want action etc Luther.
    But I'd personally go for unforgotten if you have the patience, fairly slow but so well done I found it immensely gripping.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

An under the radar show I loved that was fairly luke-warmly received was Jericho (with Skeet Ulrich and Lenny James).

It got cancelled after season 1, but it had such a cult following that fans bombarded the network with mail, calls, and peanuts (yes, peanuts - it's a reference to a famous line in the show) so they relented and gave them a second series to wrap it up.

It's not going to win any Emmys (it didn't), and can be a bit cheesy at times with the small-town charm it forces down your throat. But it was a damn entertaining show and always left me with the urge to watch just one more episode.

Ive recommended it to 2 people who've genuinely gone on to watch it. One said it was great and thanked me for the recommendation. The other said it was the biggest pile of **** he'd seen since Under The Dome. Can't please them all :o
    I enjoyed it but it isn't for everyone, ending also felt rushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    From looking at the summery and who's involved with Succession it looks even more promising. A show with Brian Cox as the lead? Yes please

Jesse Armstrong was involved in two of my favourite Comedies - The Thick Of It and Veep (Which reminds me, I still need to finish Veep's last season or two so that'll be added to the list)

Is Succession like Veep and The Thick Of It or has it more drama in it?

More drama, definitely. A good few laughs to be had, but it's mostly a drama. Great cast though, and the acting, story and presentation are all top-notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Succession
    Billions
    Banshee

For light hearted goodness I highly recommend watching How I Met Your Mother and/or Arrested Development.

Penn wrote: »
    More drama, definitely. A good few laughs to be had, but it's mostly a drama. Great cast though, and the acting, story and presentation are all top-notch.

Its quite similar to billions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Meant to say in my OP; the only show i watch weekly currently is the amazing Better Call Saul

Hopefully this thread helps others find an hour of TV distraction a day in these strange times, and if you haven't seen Better Call Saul yet it's definitely worth your investment

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

What about something like Band of Brothers?
    It's only 10 episodes but more than enough to get engrossed into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Is The Newsroom worth a watch? Downloaded it some time ago but never got round to watching it. I usually like anything Sorkin is involved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

gmisk wrote: »
    I enjoyed it but it isn't for everyone, ending also felt rushed.

They filmed 2 endings. 1 in case of cancellation and 1 for being picked up. But yeah it wasn't a great ending. The other ending is available online as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Watch treme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

From looking at the summery and who's involved with Succession it looks even more promising. A show with Brian Cox as the lead? Yes please

Jesse Armstrong was involved in two of my favourite Comedies - The Thick Of It and Veep (Which reminds me, I still need to finish Veep's last season or two so that'll be added to the list)

Is Succession like Veep and The Thick Of It or has it more drama in it?

I'm still sad that we've finished Veep!

Is The Newsroom worth a watch? Downloaded it some time ago but never got round to watching it. I usually like anything Sorkin is involved in.

Yeah I liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

Putting aside all the hype and shyte, Love Hate is superb and having recently re-watched series 1 & 2, which I partly missed first time around, it hasn't aged at all. RTE Player, find the APK to sideload the player on firestick to watch with no ads.

Top of the list for losing yourself in a complete other world for me would be Mad Men, which is on Netflix. It used to bore me when it was on late at night on TV because I'd miss episodes here and there, but it has subtleties aplenty that you can't just jump in on. Myself and the missus gave it a go from the start a while back and got nothing done for two months. 7 seasons and it's brilliant.

Definitely. If you're a Sorkin fan you'll love it. Not as strong as The West Wing, but then again what is

Bonus; if you're a straight male it has Olivia Munn

d95972970c94dc67aa49f44998f45666.jpg

What about something like Band of Brothers?
    It's only 10 episodes but more than enough to get engrossed into it.

Thanks. I've never seen it and last I remember it's number one on IMDB TV, voted the best TV show of all time by its users

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mayo londoner

The Bodyguard is well worth a watch. Friday Night Lights is unreal, can be a bit cringe at times but I've watched the whole series 3 times, don't even need to be into sport to like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

I'd suggest The Boys. Only 8 episodes in the first season with the second coming later this year. I downloaded it on a whim just because the reviews were so good and it was described anti-marvel superhero story. First episode hooks you within the first 10 minutes and by the end of the episode you'll be straight into the second without thinking. If it were made for Netflix instead of Amazon you'd probably have heard about it by now but because it was an Amazon original it kind of got glossed over. Very underrated.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Its quite similar to billions
    GreeBo wrote: »
    Billions

I liked but didn't love Billions and stopped after one season. I'm still giving Succession a go later though. It looks superior to Billions in terms of who's involved in it

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

The shield at one point was up there as my all time favorite shows still ranks up there at top 3 of all time though. If your into high-octane type cop shows I'd thoroughly recommend, last season is on par with breaking Bad as all time favorite finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

I second the bodyguard or Marcella if you like the uk dramas.
    Recently rewatched the 1st season of Fargo had forgotten how brilliant it is.
    The crown is worth a watch didn’t think I’d enjoy it as it’s usually not my bag but I was pleasantly surprised.

I gave up on the wire during season 3. And homeland, Luther and ozark struggled past the first episode.

Power is excellent if you’re into the American drug type violent shows.

• Advertisement

The Bodyguard is well worth a watch. Friday Night Lights is unreal, can be a bit cringe at times but I've watched the whole series 3 times, don't even need to be into sport to like it

I thought the Bodyguard was a poor man's Line Of Duty and didn't get the hype. Decent time filler if you havent seen it though

I tried a couple of episodes of Friday Night Lights a few years ago and may revisit. It's strange watching some older shows and seeing 24 episodes per season when 10/12 is the norm now for most high standard shows

The shield at one point was up there as my all time favorite shows still ranks up there at top 3 of all time though. If your into high-octane type cop shows I'd thoroughly recommend, last season is on par with breaking Bad as all time favorite finale.

Mentioned it in my OP. It's amazing TV

I'd definitely watch it all again in the future if it re-appeared on Netflix. I've only watched it from start to finish once

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Don't know if someone has mentioned it but 'Killing Eve' is very good unpredictable and keeps you on your toes.

Maybe some vintage stuff too 'The likely lads' or 'The Avengers, with Steed and Mrs Peel' might not be your style but very watchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

Gomorrah is a great show that hasn't been mentioned here

• Site Banned Posts: 4 Feasty

Tiger King

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

Killing eve as already mentioned is a good show, definitely worth a watch. Also ashes to ashes and life on Mars are brilliant. Would really recommend them.

Sherlock is also worth watching, watching it again at the moment with my other half as he has never seen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

Breaking bad
    Narcos (colombia version (not newer mexico)
    Ozark is alright

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Thanks. I've never seen it and last I remember it's number one on IMDB TV, voted the best TV show of all time by its users

Forget about any other suggestions, just go watch it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Northern lassie

Watching Babylon Berlin at the moment. From a recommendation on boards. Subtitled ... really enjoying it and would recommend it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I don't think The Americans was mentioned which surprises me. Great show that holds its quality to the end.

And also another vote for Mad Men and Life on Mars.

As you liked the Shield you'll probably like Southland.

Advertisement