Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A/R 5k TT 25th April ‘20.

Options
  • 23-03-2020 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭

As it says above, I propose using the below calculator as used by World Masters Athletics. If you don’t like it then don’t take part, we’ll not keep everyone happy!

Simply run a 5k TT on the 25th of April to qualify and fastest adjusted time wins and has bragging rights for a day!! Solo efforts only qualify, social distancing being enforced on this.

If there’s much interest might be worth while setting up a Strava group to track results but see what the interest is first. Over to ye guys to see if it takes off.

http://www.howardgrubb.co.uk/athletics/wmatnf14.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Love this idea.

Is it possible to use GAP to equalise for different gradients?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

OOnegative wrote: »
    As it says above, I propose using the below calculator as used by World Masters Athletics. If you don’t like it then don’t take part, we’ll not keep everyone happy!

Simply run a 5k TT on the 25th of April to qualify and fastest adjusted time wins and has bragging rights for a day!! Solo efforts only qualify, social distancing being enforced on this.

If there’s much interest might be worth while setting up a Strava group to track results but see what the interest is first. Over to ye guys to see if it takes off.

http://www.howardgrubb.co.uk/athletics/wmatnf14.html

Never used strava but can do if that works best for the group

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Lazare wrote: »
    Is it possible to use GAP to equalise for different gradients?

Ya what now C????

Should have a prediction table, so we see where we rank in dream world and in reality

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

I'll toss me hat into the ring for a bit o' banter. I'm a maturing type, The Age Cat goes by year, right? So, if a bloke was born in, Oh let's say 1965... then he's M55 this year.....

I have a reputation for fcuking up tables so here goes with the prediction 18:30. Gotta hope the GPS works alright that day.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Itziger wrote: »
    I'll toss me hat into the ring for a bit o' banter. I'm a maturing type, The Age Cat goes by year, right? So, if a bloke was born in, Oh let's say 1965... then he's M55 this year.....

I have a reputation for fcuking up tables so here goes with the prediction 18:30. Gotta hope the GPS works alright that day.........

It's done by birth date not by age at the start of the year. You move to a new age category on your birthday....if that has passed this year you're in the 55-59 group. ;)

Also, as has been pointed out to me, lapped routes only. Point to point won’t qualify.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    It's done by birth date not by age at the start of the year. You move to a new age category on your birthday....if that has passed this year you're in the 55-59 group. ;)

Eh, one minute now fella. I'd like to benefit from International Athletics year on year rules, thank you very much. (Not 55 till June :( )

Eh, one minute now fella. I'd like to benefit from International Athletics year on year rules, thank you very much. (Not 55 till June :( )

Awwww...:o that's so unfortunate!

On the other hand with early betting indicating you, Healy and AMK as joint 4/6 favourites with 8/1 the field it definitely benefits the race that you're still so young :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Ya what now C????

Grade adjusted pace. It's a feature on Strava on desktop or laptop.

Seems though from replies it's mostly a bit of fun so disregard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Awwww...:o that's so unfortunate!

On the other hand with early betting indicating you, Healy and AMK as joint 4/6 favourites with 8/1 the field it definitely benefits the race that you're still so young :)

Well for comparisons sake I did a 5k TT last Sat on a bit of a whim. Ran 17:14, which gave me a 16:26 age graded time according to that spreadsheet. Does that sound right? I think to top the results I'd have to be going under 17mins by a bit......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Don't wish your youth away, D! :)

healy1835 wrote: »
    Well for comparisons sake I did a 5k TT last Sat on a bit of a whim. Ran 17:14, which gave me a 16:26 age graded time according to that spreadsheet. Does that sound right? I think to top the results I'd have to be going under 17mins by a bit......

Who will be setting a high 15/low 16 age graded target?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SuspectZero

Who will be setting a high 15/low 16 age graded target?

There's still a fair few around here but who dont post as much who are in the 15 low to 15 high category, some of them who are even masters. So a word to wise if y'all taking it serious, don't underestimate your potential competitors and give it beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Came across an idea on another group but follow up based on performances from this TT could be Road relays / Ekiden style team virtual events.

Can we start getting names maybe of who’s in to get an idea on numbers?

Ok, after a restless night where the gross unfairness of the Age Grade rules ruined any chance of a decent kip, I contacted my legal team this morning. They have put my mind at rest somewhat but they asked me to clarify one important point before we take this matter further.

It seems that the Age graded is on the single number you put in the calculator. One puts in 38, or 72 rather than 45-50 or 35-40, correct? The junior solicitor of the team insists on having this confirmed.

If, and I repeat, if this is so then we are happy to throw our figurative hat in the ring.

As for Zero's point about there being Low and High 15's in the Masters bracket still out there, tell 'em to go for an auld bike ride that day. We don't need their type here screwing up the table and the betting odds. Funny thing, I got a WhattsApp from a bloke I met once at a race in Valencia, Rolex Kipruno or something, asked me about this virtual TT. Was wondering if he could take part.... I told him to fook off.

It seems that the Age graded is on the single number you put in the calculator. One puts in 38, or 72 rather than 45-50 or 35-40, correct? The junior solicitor of the team insists on having this confirmed.

If like me, your 41, you enter 40-44 in the age grade, if like yourself you are 54, you enter the correct age bracket your age falls into not the actual age you are, clear? T&C’s apply, which I have a copy of and ya call tell Rhonex to fook off!!

I'll give it a rattle if such things are still possible by then. (I still think a simple handicap system is the way to go though :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Seems like a plan, B. I might try it if I'm available. Just recently hit a new age grade. ;D

• Advertisement

I'll give it a rattle if such things are still possible by then. (I still think a simple handicap system is the way to go though :) )

Make your suggestion & sure we can vote which feels best way to go? Bear in mind I’ll probably not understand it and need a hand with it.

I give it a lash also. Probably piss rain and be windy that day. Lockdown will happen half way through it and we be all arrested!!! Time away from the family:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Date is set.
    Rule is looped course.
    Set your prediction and go after it.
    Pat yourself on the back :D

I do like KSU's Ekiden idea. Create teams, stagger the legs each day and see where it ends up. So each team with a have a 17, 18, 20, 25, 30 participant for balance. For that we would need at least 8 people signed up for a 5k TT

I'm in :)

Edit: My last 5k was in Jan 20:02 so put me down as a 20min (40-44)

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Count me in but instead of age grading can we do a laziness/lack of training graded calculator instead 😂😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I'll give it a go presuming we're not in lockdown. Prediction is 18:00 (hopefully under). Late 30's age grade.

By looped course I presume it's to stop anyone starting at the top of a mountain and finishing at the bottom? An out and back on a country road or greenway I presume is fine as is say three laps of a greenway loop or the local Parkrun route? What about a track?

Make your suggestion & sure we can vote which feels best way to go? Bear in mind I’ll probably not understand it and need a hand with it.

:) I sort of don't even want to go down this road B! It's a bit of craic and it's good that there's a couple of us trying to organise something.

I just think if we all did a 5k or a 3k time trial FIRST. That would give us some baseline data, and then everyone is given a time handicap based on their % of the fastest persons time. Then we can apply that for the first 'event'

So, lets say you run the fastest time and it's 20mins. Then I run 25mins. So for the first event, I'll get a 25% time handicap.

I think this system just let's more people in with a chance of being in the mix. But it's just one way. The main thing is we're doing something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Sussex18

I'll throw my running shoes into the ring.. I'm 40-44 and in a race should be around 22 minutes. Not sure how well that replicates here though, on an open road, with all the crossings, people etc. Still surprisingly busy. I use Garmin Connect and Strava, is that ok? 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SuspectZero

:) I sort of don't even want to go down this road B! It's a bit of craic and it's good that there's a couple of us trying to organise something.

I just think if we all did a 5k or a 3k time trial FIRST. That would give us some baseline data, and then everyone is given a time handicap based on their % of the fastest persons time. Then we can apply that for the first 'event'

So, lets say you run the fastest time and it's 20mins. Then I run 25mins. So for the first event, I'll get a 25% time handicap.

I think this system just let's more people in with a chance of being in the mix. But it's just one way. The main thing is we're doing something :)

I think it would get more people involved too which is what I was trying to say in the other thread. It's a bit of a laugh and about bringing together as many people as possible and it seems like the most likely way to do it.

I remember the same thing was done for the boards sweepstakes in Bohermeen a couple of years ago and it was the best laugh and had the most community spirit of anything I've ever seen on boards and I say that as someone who wasn't even involved myself, and the competitive spirit was still there too.

Maybe we could work out match betting too like back then and donate the proceeds to some coronavirus charity or something over the series, idk, just an idea if people were willing

I think it would get more people involved too which is what I was trying to say in the other thread. It's a bit of a laugh and about bringing together as many people as possible and it seems like the most likely way to do it.

I remember the same thing was done for the boards sweepstakes in Bohermeen a couple of years ago and it was the best laugh and had the most community spirit of anything I've ever seen on boards and I say that as someone who wasn't even involved myself, and the competitive spirit was still there too.

Maybe we could work out match betting too like back then and donate the proceeds to some coronavirus charity or something over the series, idk, just an idea if people were willing

Looks like yourself and Johnny volunteered to take this over!! I got the idea off the ground and to make myself sound completely thick I haven’t a clue what either of ye are talking about so I ain’t getting involved in something I do not understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Sussex18

Why not just have a simple virtual race, on whatever circuit we choose, trust people. Have age categories but forget about handicapping or betting? ��

Advertisement