Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Council housing

Options
  • 26-09-2019 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi guys ,
    I'm currently on the housing list and had a phonecall from council for a meeting next week

I'm confused as to what to expect. They didn't say what it was about . But did ask questions like , how many children ,genders, and do they have any special needs ect .

Would anyone happen to know what this could be about ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭wifey28

sounds like they are maybe about to offer you a home, or atleast check you out to see if youd be suitable to a home that has come vacant.
    They usually only call people to meetings for this reason, they like to confirm everythign and will likely as for proof of income, kids etc as well to ensure your still entitled

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bogglingbrenda

wifey28 wrote: »
    sounds like they are maybe about to offer you a home, or atleast check you out to see if youd be suitable to a home that has come vacant.
    They usually only call people to meetings for this reason, they like to confirm everythign and will likely as for proof of income, kids etc as well to ensure your still entitled
    Thanks for your reply .
    I received a letter today which says
    "You are invited to attend a meeting to discuss your social housing application with our housing liaison officer .

It is very important that you make every effort to attend this meeting in order to progress your application for social housing support . If you do not attend or contact us to rearrange the meeting ,this will be considered a refusal and you will be suspended for a period of 12 months from the date of this appointment . Furthermore the period of suspension will not subsequently count for "time on the list " purposes "

Thanks for your reply .
    I received a letter today which says
    "You are invited to attend a meeting to discuss your social housing application with our housing liaison officer .

It is very important that you make every effort to attend this meeting in order to progress your application for social housing support . If you do not attend or contact us to rearrange the meeting ,this will be considered a refusal and you will be suspended for a period of 12 months from the date of this appointment . Furthermore the period of suspension will not subsequently count for "time on the list " purposes "

def sounds like they are making you an offer , congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

def sounds like they are making you an offer , congrats

Just on this, we got letters like this a few times a year on the list and were never offered accommodation - we were told its to check people's eligibility to remain on the housing list firstly by getting up-to-date information on applicants who may have increased/decreased income, more/less household applicants or who may have moved house and be taking a place on the list that doesn't apply to them. It most certainly doesn't mean a housing offer is imminent.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Just on this, we got letters like this a few times a year on the list and were never offered accommodation - we were told its to check people's eligibility to remain on the housing list firstly by getting up-to-date information on applicants who may have increased/decreased income, more/less household applicants or who may have moved house and be taking a place on the list that doesn't apply to them. It most certainly doesn't mean a housing offer is imminent.

This is actually quite common

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your comments .
    My housing application was only recently updated a couple of weeks ago .

Just an update , Had the meeting was . it was indeed an offer , thanks to everyone who replied

Just an update , Had the meeting was . it was indeed an offer , thanks to everyone who replied

fantastic!

How long were you on the housing list congrats OP

How long were you on the housing list congrats OP

Thanks , been on the list 7 years

• Advertisement

Thanks , been on the list 7 years

I’ve along way to go so I’m on it 3 years in January :(

Good luck to you and your family in your new home

I’ve along way to go so I’m on it 3 years in January :(

Good luck to you and your family in your new home

Depends on where in the country you live and what kind of home you require too, i know eople in cork on the list 15 years :(

Depends on where in the country you live and what kind of home you require too, i know eople in cork on the list 15 years :(

The average wait across the country is between 10 -12 years ,most people over that have either refused properties or were off the list and got put back on ,
    There has been numerous reports in the media on how long people have been waiting

Gatling wrote: »
    The average wait across the country is between 10 -12 years ,most people over that have either refused properties or were off the list and got put back on ,
    There has been numerous reports in the media on how long people have been waiting

Correct, we were on the list for 5 years and got offered a house, and were taken off when they discovered our WFP took us €500 over the limit for eligibility. Back on the list now again after husband was let go due to downsizing :(

Correct, we were on the list for 5 years and got offered a house, and were taken off when they discovered our WFP took us €500 over the limit for eligibility. Back on the list now again after husband was let go due to downsizing :(

Sorry to hear Shasha .

Hopefully something comes around again

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Minnie41

A colleague has told me that he will is hoping to get a council house because he cannot afford to save the deposit for a house. He is separated and has part time access to his 3 children. They had to hand the family home back to the bank as they couldn't sell it but it is now sold. This person is on €50,000 plus per annum, he lives in a quiet part of the country where houses are more available. I really can't see how he could apply or does anyone know is it possible?

Minnie41 wrote: »
    This person is on €50,000 plus per annum, he lives in a quiet part of the country where houses are more available. I really can't see how he could apply or does anyone know is it possible?

Not a hope on 50k pa

You also have to have an actual long term need of housing it's not a simple case of applying and be given somewhere you want

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Minnie41 wrote: »
    A colleague has told me that he will is hoping to get a council house because he cannot afford to save the deposit for a house. He is separated and has part time access to his 3 children. They had to hand the family home back to the bank as they couldn't sell it but it is now sold. This person is on €50,000 plus per annum, he lives in a quiet part of the country where houses are more available. I really can't see how he could apply or does anyone know is it possible?

On nearly €1000 per week in a quiet part of the country where rents are low then he will be refused the place on the housing list as he can afford to pay his own rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Minnie41

Thanks, I thought it was a bit crazy alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

Can I ask were you just told to go after being over the threshold? Do then it makes no sense to get any extra money that will bring you a few euro over! Can they just say ok you're over limit now .. thanks and sorry to hear what happened to you 😣

• Advertisement

youandme13 wrote: »
    Can I ask were you just told to go after being over the threshold? Do then it makes no sense to get any extra money that will bring you a few euro over! Can they just say ok you're over limit now .. thanks and sorry to hear what happened to you ��

Yep, we handed in the forms and got a phonecall 2 days later to tell us we were over the limit and we were no longer eligible for the house we were offered or any other house. We were taken off the list immediately and forced to reapply from the beginning once my partner was made redundant :rolleyes:

Yep, we handed in the forms and got a phonecall 2 days later to tell us we were over the limit and we were no longer eligible for the house we were offered or any other house. We were taken off the list immediately and forced to reapply from the beginning once my partner was made redundant :rolleyes:

If you don't mind me asking, had you already moved in to the house?

If you don't mind me asking, had you already moved in to the house?

They check your means before they give you the keys to have your rent calculated before you move in

They check your means before they give you the keys to have your rent calculated before you move in

Thanks Wifey28 but I meant if circumstances change a few weeks or months after you move in and then it's over the threshold. . What would happen?

Thanks Wifey28 but I meant if circumstances change a few weeks or months after you move in and then it's over the threshold. . What would happen?

Youd be paying more rent, or might be encouraged to being buying the house if your means change significantly
    They retest meaans every year in some localities or longer in others so always ensure you are paying the correct level of rent for your income

Youd be paying more rent, or might be encouraged to being buying the house if your means change significantly
    They retest meaans every year in some localities or longer in others so always ensure you are paying the correct level of rent for your income

Thanks a mill!

Would they evict you If you went over :(

If on future a partner or something moved in and the joint incomes becomes over what would be likely to happen :/

Thanks a mill!

If on future a partner or something moved in and the joint incomes becomes over what would be likely to happen :/

No they dont evict you, just have you pay more rent, or if for eg you both got jobs and were suddenly on 100k a year they would prob talk to you about beginning to then buy the house from them and pay off a mortgage, then now encourge all tennets to beginbuying the porperty which you are eligible to do after 12 months

No they dont evict you, just have you pay more rent, or if for eg you both got jobs and were suddenly on 100k a year they would prob talk to you about beginning to then buy the house from them and pay off a mortgage, then now encourge all tennets to beginbuying the porperty which you are eligible to do after 12 months

Thank you very much for that!

It's put my mind at ease I was afraid you'd just get evicted and have nowhere then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭LuciX

You live together now but you are on the housing list as a sole applicant :eek:

Stop scamming the system :mad:

• Advertisement

LuciX wrote: »
    You live together now but you are on the housing list as a sole applicant :eek:

Stop scamming the system :mad:

I'm not. I love with family so am a sole applicant I'm not scamming it 😞

Advertisement