Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing the Current Affairs/IMHO forum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No it doesn't.

Just because you bashed the report button doesn't mean any rules were broken.

This is the mentality were dealing with a small cohort working in unison to report posts knowing well that more reports equal shutdowns ,
    Remember they are on here claiming racist posts where there are none but then newly registered posters post racist stuff oddly after they post on feedback

The options were thread bans or closing the thread... That pretty clearly indicates rules were broken en masse.

your clearly bsing rules were broken enmass so card the rule breaks and thread bans .
    Again just because posts are reported doesn't mean posts broke any boards rules

• Gatling wrote: »
    your clearly bsing rules were broken enmass so card the rule breaks and thread bans .
    Again just because posts are reported doesn't mean posts broke any boards rules

The need for multiple thread bans would indicate they were...

The need for multiple thread bans would indicate they were...

A handful not enmass as you claim.

Just as reported posts doesn't equate to any wrong doing

• I think Occam's Razor probably applies here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,229 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I think Occam's Razor probably applies here.

In light of the fact that there are threads aplenty left to fester on this site regardless of their worthiness in terms of enlightened or relevant discussion and anything that upsets a certain cohort of users seems to be locked upon the commencement of complaints through feedback and reported posts, the simplest explanation may not be what you might think it is.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Moderation (and I HAVE done it myself), surely involves ensuring the conversation stays between the ditches, it doesn't entail deciding that the bus has stopped and everybody needs to get off.

Such an action leaves open the question of partiality-I don't think that applies here, just that it's the line of least resistance.

It smacks of, quoting no one, "You can talk about this, until it's too much work for us to manage it."

The one consequence, and I have no wish to personalise, of such a lack of moderator/admin (who are just senior mods here this days anyway) engagement, is that one person is forced into the role of chief enforcer/company man, perhaps unfairly.

The decision is wrong, the thread and others like it of all persuasions, such as the UnitedPeople thread, should have been allowed to stay, and be MODERATED.

If, like the staff who bat away any issues around site improvement citing it's on the list, you simply can't answer, or provide the resources to act upon something, just say so.

I see Odhran is back looking for money again, that worked great the last time he tried it on Adverts, at the same time that they moved into an empty office space in the middle of Dublin with hipster nonsense on the walls and gaming consoles for all. But he's going to try and be a more time poster...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,129 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Gatling wrote: »
    No not buying it for one second , it's was a small cohort of posters who repeatedly spammed the report button to make sure the thread got closed when it was realised it had nothing to do with racism (no surprise )
    Just because you bashed the report button doesn't mean any rules were broken.

If that were actually the case, that cohort would be sanctioned for abusing the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Beasty wrote: »
    That would be factually incorrect.

And I have been honest. I do not believe there is anything more that can be discussed at this time. If something new crops up we will reconsider. Equally we may well not see anything new until the authorities undertake their investigations

Is there a precedent for threads being shut down because a moderator does not believe there is nothing more to be added?

Overheal wrote: »
    If that were actually the case, that cohort would be sanctioned for abusing the system.

Some of that cohort are moderators on this site as it happens.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Is there a precedent for threads being shut down because a moderator does not believe there is nothing more to be added?

Indeed there is. The forerunner of the existing Multiculturalism thread on Current Affairs was shut down in the old Politics Cafe forum. That thread was moderated by two mods who were also active posters who held an open-border view. Those who did not agree coincidentally ended up banned due to being "off topic". The decision on what was on or off topic was dictated by those two mods. Posters left in droves after they eventually shut down that thread and the Politics Cafe withered away into a sad oblivion. One would hope that lessons were learned from that experience.

Notwithstanding that, we all know that the Nkencho thread was always going to be a difficult one to moderate and manage. It is unfortunate that the easy solution of just giving up on it was the action taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Kivaro wrote: »
    Notwithstanding that, we all know that the Nkencho thread was always going to be a difficult one to moderate and manage. It is unfortunate that the easy solution of just giving up on it was the action taken.
    Beasty wrote: »
    I'm just seeing from the comments here that the Nkencho thread has been closed

The incident occurred 18 days ago.

Sure it’s been over two weeks, practically confined to history at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

nullzero wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you'd still be posting there if it were open and you hadn't been thread banned.

Nah, probably not. It just kept going around in circles, getting deeper and deeper into the muck. The thread just descended into generalised racism.

The funny thing is that countless posters attempted to go on crusades to prove that George Nkencho was shot because of his skin colour and not one of them provided a shred of evidence to support that claim.

Did that happen? I don't remember many thread posts asserting he was shot because he was black. Plenty of people complaining about twitter posts claiming that was the reason.

Moderation, surely involves ensuring the conversation stays between the ditches, it doesn't entail deciding that the bus has stopped and everybody needs to get off.

If the passengers keep getting asked to not grab the wheel, and forcing the bus into the ditch, yet they keep doing that, then it makes plenty of sense to stop the bus.
    They were already told, countless times, that there was another bus going to the destination they wanted, but they didn't want to change bus.

Effects wrote: »
    Nah, probably not. It just kept going around in circles, getting deeper and deeper into the muck. The thread just descended into generalised racism.

Did that happen? I don't remember many thread posts asserting he was shot because he was black. Plenty of people complaining about twitter posts claiming that was the reason.

Without wanting to get into an off topic conversion with you here, you were posting at an astonishing rate and only stopped when banned(you have also been banned from the multi culturalism thread recently as well as an aside), so you'll have to excuse me whilst I take what you're saying here with a pinch of salt.

As for the notion that the thread descended into generalised racism, that isn't an accurate representation of what was going on at all. People taking issue with immigrants accusing the Irish state of being racist isn't the same as making comments that are racial in nature. Skin colour wasn't the issue being discussed.

As I recall you entered the thread reasonably late(your first post was number 3044), there were people suggesting that George Nkencho was shot because of his skin colour, some popped in made statements they couldn't back up and jumped out when questioned.

There was a definite air of desperation in relation to that type of argument, it didn't hold water so the next step was to make accusations like you made above of generalised racism which have no basis in fact but in a manner that Goebbels himself would be proud of the lie was repeated enough times that it became accepted as fact.

Glazers Out!

You'll have to excuse me whilst I take what you're saying here with a pinch of salt.

No problem. I'll take a leaf out of your book in that case. Show me the countless posts where people were saying George Nkencho was shot because he was black.
    As for the notion that the thread descended into generalised racism, that isn't an accurate representation of what was going on at all. Skin colour wasn't the issue being discussed.
    That thread wasn't the place for that separate discussion, and people were told this, multiple times.
    As I recall you entered the thread reasonably late.

No, I was in the thread from the start.
    There were people suggesting that George Nkencho was shot because of his skin colour, some popped in made statements they couldn't back up and jumped out when questioned.

So you've already downgraded from 'attempted crusades' to some 'people popped in'.
    The next step was to make accusations like you made above of generalised racism which have no basis in fact.
    Yeah, so a thread about a police shooting descends into unrelated 'Nigerians coming over here and getting free houses. You wouldn't get that if you were a white man in Nigeria", isn't based on racism. :rolleyes:
    but in a manner that Goebbels himself would be proud of the lie was repeated enough times that it became accepted as fact.
    Finishing off with Nazi comparisons. Good argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

If the passengers keep getting asked to not grab the wheel, and forcing the bus into the ditch, yet they keep doing that, then it makes plenty of sense to stop the bus.
    They were already told, countless times, that there was another bus going to the destination they wanted, but they didn't want to change bus.

No. You stop the bus, force those passengers off, then continue on your merry way. You don't stop the bus and punish all passengers by refusing to go onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Yeah, so a thread about a police shooting descends into unrelated 'Nigerians coming over here and getting free houses. You wouldn't get that if you were a white man in Nigeria", isn't based on racism. :rolleyes:

Well, would you? If the answer is no, then how is such a comment 'based in racism'? Is this the best example of 'general racism in the thread' that you've got?

No. You stop the bus, force those passengers off, then continue on your merry way. You don't stop the bus and punish all passengers by refusing to go onwards.

Need a strong conductor for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭This is it

Exactly.

And even if there's nothing new to add today, there might well be tomorrow but now we've to be vetted by Beasty before it will even be looked at.

If the community wants to discuss something, let them discuss something. Should really be that simple. As long as nobody is breaking rules. If they are, punish them accordingly. Like any other thread. Shouldn’t have to be a process whereby one mod’s secret criteria constitutes what’s up for debate and what’s not.

No problem. I'll take a leaf out of your book in that case. Show me the countless posts where people were saying George Nkencho was shot because he was black.

That thread wasn't the place for that separate discussion, and people were told this, multiple times.

No, I was in the thread from the start.

So you've already downgraded from 'attempted crusades' to some 'people popped in'.

Finishing off with Nazi comparisons. Good argument.

You're going off on a tangent now.

You want me to produce evidence of people making arguments about racial motivation for the shooting. How's about you start by providing evidence of generalised racism?

If somebody states that Nigeria wouldn't provide the type of supports to immigrants into their country as we provide Nigerians in Ireland, it isn't something based in racism. Could the person saying it be a racist? Possibly, but you are setting the threshold for racism reasonably low.

I don't want to get bogged down in an argument with you as its wildly off topic, but I refute everything you've accused me of above and challenge you to back up what you've said or you can PM me if you wish to continue the discussion before we both get a thread ban from this thread.

Glazers Out!

No. You stop the bus, force those passengers off, then continue on your merry way.

Doesn't always work like that though. Sometimes the regular passengers are the ones who have to suffer.

Just to be clear, this bus is metaphorical right?

You want me to produce evidence of people making arguments about racial motivation for the shooting. How's about you start by providing evidence of generalised racism?

Stop trying to sidetrack the issue and back up your argument. Show us proof of your 'crusades', and I'll happily provide you with what you're asking for.
    I've had no problem backing up any of my arguments in the past.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Just to be clear, this bus is metaphorical right?

Isn't life just one big bus ride anyway?

Stop trying to sidetrack the issue and back up your argument. Show us proof of your 'crusades', and I'll happily provide you with what you're asking for.
    I've had no problem backing up any of my arguments in the past.

You want evidence of crusades?

Look through your own contribution to that thread. You're a prime example. You spent a long time in that thread suggesting the shooting was possibly not justified and went on about how you weren't making it about the race issue, in yet you're in here making accusations of generalised racism. It's so transparent it's laughable, in yet you think you're smarter than everyone else.

You've gotten so heated in your exchanges with others that you have been banned from two threads that relate to George Nkencho and multiculturalism, a crusader if ever there was one.

You can't provide evidence of generalised racism because it doesn't exist. If it did it would have been dealt with by the moderators. End of.

Like I said previously, this is a feedback thread, PM me if you wish to continue this conversation.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

Taking a broader perspective, it's clear that a vocal minority of "woke" posters is trying to censor or shut down discussion of certain topics on Boards.ie. Key flashpoints at the present moment include anything related to race, multiculturalism, or transgenderism.

At the same time, Boards.ie announced recently that it is struggling financially and needs to find new ways to monetize.

If Boards continues capitulating to the "woke" contingent, its financial woes will continue. The adage "go woke and go broke" comes to mind -- to the point where I doubt whether Boards will even exist in a few more years' time. People want to feel that they can express frank opinions on topics being discussed without getting targeted for their beliefs.

At this point, Boards has to choose whether it has a future as a platform for robust discussion and debate, or whether it will let the woke minority ruin the platform for everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,348 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Invidious wrote: »
    Taking a broader perspective, it's clear that a vocal minority of "woke" posters is trying to censor or shut down discussion of certain topics on Boards.ie. Key flashpoints at the present moment include anything related to race, multiculturalism, or transgenderism.

At the same time, Boards.ie announced recently that it is struggling financially and needs to find new ways to monetize.

If Boards continues capitulating to the "woke" contingent, its financial woes will continue. The adage "go woke and go broke" comes to mind -- to the point where I doubt whether Boards will even exist in a few more years' time. People want to feel that they can express frank opinions on topics being discussed without getting targeted for their beliefs.

At this point, Boards has to choose whether it has a future as a platform for robust discussion and debate, or whether it will let the woke minority ruin the platform for everyone else.

Jaysus lads I fùcking hate that word, especially when people throw it in every second sentence :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement