Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boys - Amazon Prime Original - (**Spoilers**) (No Comic Spoilers!)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I binged watched this, great show. I have to admit to once drinking a pitcher of Guinness as a bet once, I won but it was vile, MT Pockets was a great pub

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Really enjoyed this - lots of crazy moments mixed in with some genuinely disturbing moments. Antony Starr did a superb job as Homelander (I didn't even recognise him from his Banshee days) and added a lot for me. His attitude on the plane was chilling.
    glasso wrote: »
    what's the explanation for why Homelander saved Butcher? -
    just to rub it in that he impregnated his missus and now effectively has a son with her?
    That's exactly how I took it.
    How much worse will Butcher feel now that his wife never bothered to let him know she was okay and had a son with the man he hates?
    . Suits Homelander's sociopathic personality perfectly.

ixoy wrote: »
    Really enjoyed this - lots of crazy moments mixed in with some genuinely disturbing moments. Antony Starr did a superb job as Homelander (I didn't even recognise him from his Banshee days) and added a lot for me. His attitude on the plane was chilling.

That's exactly how I took it.
    How much worse will Butcher feel now that his wife never bothered to let him know she was okay and had a son with the man he hates?
    . Suits Homelander's sociopathic personality perfectly.

so what is going to stop him being killed instantly at the start of season 2 then!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭ Caylee Short Burglar

Anyone who liked the comic and disliked the Preacher TV show have thoughts on this...? I liked the comics of both this and Preacher. Decided the Preacher TV show was dire and too different after an episode or two. I watched the first episode of this and liked a couple of bits but found it a bit dull and seemed like it was taking a different angle then the comic as well (characters a bit changed, and a different character doing something). Glancing at this thread suggests it might be worth checking out further?

Anyone who liked the comic and disliked the Preacher TV show have thoughts on this...? I liked the comics of both this and Preacher. Decided the Preacher TV show was dire and too different after an episode or two. I watched the first episode of this and liked a couple of bits but found it a bit dull and seemed like it was taking a different angle then the comic as well (characters a bit changed, and a different character doing something). Glancing at this thread suggests it might be worth checking out further?

it's good. leave your baggage of previous knowledge of the comics and comparisons at the door and just watch it. you would be in the minority if you're disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Its p1ss weak compared to the comics tbh, I gave my thoughts a couple of pages ago, my main issue was my hatred of the Hughie character:
    Thargor wrote: »
    Enjoyed it but I also think it really suffered by not having The Boys
    superpowered themselves like in the comic, it would help to make them interesting (why the feck did they call MM Mothers Milk if they're not going to give him his arc from the comic? Thats just stupid.) In the books Butcher is so menacing and mysterious yet likable, but in this he's just a guy with a dodgy Eastenders accent.

I also preferred in the comics that Compound V
    was just floating in the environment randomly effecting babies, not fully controlled by Vought.
    Again it would have made things more interesting.

Another thing that annoyed me is that in such a short series they wasted a huge chunk of it in the dragged out
    kidnap/killing of Translucent
    , an incredibly boring and bland character who didn't deserve that screentime in any way whatsoever. The time could have been way better spent just showing The Boys day to day work like they did in the comics, messing with Teenage Kix etc, investigating etc.

The worst thing about it I think would be the actor and character of Hughie, compared to the funny and sarcastic Wee Hughie from the comics we get yet another bland weedy nerd character that so many American tv series and writers seem to love, stuttering and bumbling along with nothing of interest to add at all. His scenes with Starlight were just wasting big chunks of the episodes all over the place. I absolutely despise this type of character especially when they give it a love interest to stutter at and be all "cute" with in a way we've seen 1000X before, it must have its own TVtropes page at this stage.

I did enjoy the series and devoured it in a couple of days but with what Ive listed above and a lot of niggles its definitely a wasted opportunity. Anthony Starr was sublime as Homelander though.
    Still perfectly watchable though, everyone at work is praising me for recommending it, if somethings not on Netflix it doesnt exist for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭El Duda

People found the plane scene disturbing?

I was in hysterics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Binged this last week and loved it. I tend to like anything Karl Urban acts in and went in expecting him to be the standout - don't get me wrong, he's delightful and owns the screen as Billy Butcher - but Antony Starr is something else as Homelander. I hadn't seen him in anything before. Really, truly intimidating and has this aura of menace even when he's just standing there. You expect him to suddenly fly off the handle and vaporise everyone at any point, and this fear even seems to extend to the other superpowered characters in the show.
    glasso wrote: »
    so what is going to stop him being killed instantly at the start of season 2 then!?

I would envisage that Homelander suddenly finding out he has a son may inspire some sort of shallow attempt on his part to mould him into something better than himself, given his own very twisted version of childhood. And a good start to this would be to not laser Billy Butcher on the boy's lawn.

The flipside of course is that he convinces his son to share his own sentiment, that humanity are basically all worthless ants beneath him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

El Duda wrote: »

I was in hysterics.

I found it disturbing only in Homelander's complete nonchalance about letting a few hundred people die. Genuinely wasn't fazed in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I was in hysterics.

That's disturbing.:D

If there was any doubt that Homelander was a cold-blooded psychopath, this removed it. The chance to save someone was rationally dismissed as something that would blight the supes' brand. That wasn't gonna happen. Chilling. Good tv.

The flipside of course is that he convinces his son to share his own sentiment, that humanity are basically all worthless ants beneath him.

it's pretty doubtful that Homelander will turn out to be a model dad figure :)
    will go about undoing any normality infused in the child by the mother quick smart I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭Heckler

Binged this last week and loved it. I tend to like anything Karl Urban acts in and went in expecting him to be the standout - don't get me wrong, he's delightful and owns the screen as Billy Butcher - but Antony Starr is something else as Homelander. I hadn't seen him in anything before. Really, truly intimidating and has this aura of menace even when he's just standing there. You expect him to suddenly fly off the handle and vaporise everyone at any point, and this fear even seems to extend to the other superpowered characters in the show.

If you need an Anthony Starr fix watch Banshee. Brilliant OTT series. And yeah he's terrific as Homelander. I don't know the comics but found "The Boys" fantastic. Had no problem with Urbans accent. A series based around Superheroes and there's grumbling over a dodgy British accent ? Please..

Oh and if I didn't mention it watch Banshee :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

Yea Antony Starr is great, haven't found a character in a Tv show that menacing or intimidating in a long time, not since maybe Chris Parlow from the Wire or Al Sweerenger from Deadwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Is that a legit season 2 trailer or not? anyone compare the kid to the scene where we saw young homelander?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Slydice wrote: »
    Is that a legit season 2 trailer or not? anyone compare the kid to the scene where we saw young homelander?

Not real - a fan used deleted/bonus scenes from season 1 to make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I was in hysterics.

have you been tested?

did you kill small animals as a child?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Skerries wrote: »
    have you been tested?

did you kill small animals as a child?
    So if you take any enjoyment from a disturbing scene played out by actors in a violent tv series you need to be tested or it sounds like you tortured animals as a child? :confused:

Do you limit yourself to only watching PG material and below in that case?

Thargor wrote: »
    Enjoyed it but I also think it really suffered by not having The Boys
    superpowered themselves like in the comic, it would help to make them interesting (why the feck did they call MM Mothers Milk if they're not going to give him his arc from the comic? Thats just stupid.) In the books Butcher is so menacing and mysterious yet likable, but in this he's just a guy with a dodgy Eastenders accent.

I also preferred in the comics that Compound V
    was just floating in the environment randomly effecting babies, not fully controlled by Vought.
    Again it would have made things more interesting.

Another thing that annoyed me is that in such a short series they wasted a huge chunk of it in the dragged out
    kidnap/killing of Translucent
    , an incredibly boring and bland character who didn't deserve that screentime in any way whatsoever. The time could have been way better spent just showing The Boys day to day work like they did in the comics, messing with Teenage Kix etc, investigating etc.

The worst thing about it I think would be the actor and character of Hughie, compared to the funny and sarcastic Wee Hughie from the comics we get yet another bland weedy nerd character that so many American tv series and writers seem to love, stuttering and bumbling along with nothing of interest to add at all. His scenes with Starlight were just wasting big chunks of the episodes all over the place. I absolutely despise this type of character especially when they give it a love interest to stutter at and be all "cute" with in a way we've seen 1000X before, it must have its own TVtropes page at this stage.

I did enjoy the series and devoured it in a couple of days but with what Ive listed above and a lot of niggles its definitely a wasted opportunity. Anthony Starr was sublime as Homelander though.
    Yeah I didn't like the change to Wee Hughie. Now a boring "relatable viewpoint character". Butcher should be more imposing too, and MM broodier.

I like the angle that they don't have access to powers though. There was no way that
    MM's mother
    was making it onto the TV.

• Advertisement

Butcher detonating the bomb beside the baby makes him a definite villain to me. Not sure he's going to be cast as that in the next season, so it's a bit fncked up otherwise.

Hughie saving A-Train was a little lame.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

OK just binge watched this over the weekend and it was good, not exceptional but it was good. The lad playing Homelander is excellent and Karl Urban is brilliant as Butcher. Never seen the comics but this is a good addition to the super hero genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

gandalf wrote: »
    Homelander is excellent

In case ya missed it posted earlier in the thread, he was yer man the cop in Banshee

• Registered Users Posts: 29,434 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Slydice wrote: »
    In case ya missed it posted earlier in the thread, he was yer man the cop in Banshee

Seriously, if ye haven't seen Banshee, watch it ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Seriously, if ye haven't seen Banshee, watch it ASAP.
    Didn't want to turn this into a hijacking of this thread by continuing about Banshee, but I can only find season 3 and below for it in the forum search. Is there a season 4 thread for Banshee?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,434 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Didn't want to turn this into a hijacking of this thread by continuing about Banshee, but I can only find season 3 and below for it in the forum search. Is there a season 4 thread for Banshee?

There was a general thread for it that covered all seasons. Careful about the latter pages as spoilers are allowed.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056784337/1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Yeah I didn't like the change to Wee Hughie. Now a boring "relatable viewpoint character". Butcher should be more imposing too, and MM broodier.

I like the angle that they don't have access to powers though. There was no way that
    MM's mother
    was making it onto the TV.

Regarding Compound V, I think the writers went the right direction for the show by keeping the team unpowered.
    In the comics all the heroes were complete non-threats to the team apart from Homelander, which was Ennis just having another dig at the superhero genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

just finished this and loved it

Homelander was bugging me in episode 1 as I just couldn't place him , I was a huge Banshee fan and the change longer blonde hair makes is astounding.
    My first thought was he would have been an amazing casting choice for the Bily Butcher based on his Banshee days , but in fairness Urban does a fine job and Starr is outstanding as Homelander.

Role on Season 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Just finished this on Netflix... great show, love the dark themes....
    The girl abusing the Deep was justice enough...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭claiva

Just finished this on Netflix... great show, love the dark themes....
    The girl abusing the Deep was justice enough...

It's not on Netflix tho.........
    Just sayin.....
    :D

Advertisement