Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All things Mavic Air

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭ozmo

QUOTE=ScrubsfanChris;108930049]In answer to your question
    If its a gift I'd go with the Spark and the fly more combo:[/QUOTE]

I agree with the first point - but the spark is very disapointing - but for a first drone mavic air will fly well straight out of the box - or if you want low cost short range , rather than the spark, maybe the 100 euro mavic Tello might do

https://store.dji.com/guides/cheap-drones/

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

ozmo wrote:
    I agree with the first point - but the spark is very disapointing - but for a first drone mavic air will fly well straight out of the box - or if you want low cost short range , rather than the spark, maybe the 100 euro mavic Tello might do

The tello is ok, if you want something decent on a budget, get this. It's out in 2 weeks. The reviews are awesome on YouTube. Nothing close to it for the money..

https://m.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopters/pp_009975912406.html?wid=1349303

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

ozmo wrote: »

https://store.dji.com/guides/cheap-drones/
    If its range you are referring to, the range of the Spark is around 500m from what I've read. Again, this is if you are talking about range.

The spark sometimes has problems at less than 50m.

You obviously havnt flown the spark - I have and the range can be as low as 100m or less with frequent dropouts when used legally close to wifi pollution which is pretty much everywhere. The usual touted fix for this is what Im suggesting he avoids by not buying one. Read up anywhere on interference issues with it.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

tedpan wrote: »
    Haven't had many chances to fly so had a short spin around 6pm this evening..
    Really nice!

Struggling to get up in the air myself, between weather and living in a city - I often think Im running out of safe areas to fly within reasonable distance.

jogdish wrote:
    Really nice!

Cheers man! Yeah I know, as soon as you get somewhere to fly, it rains :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

While I don't own one, I have flown it a few times and have had no problem with signal loss even up to about 150-200 meters away (after which you barely see it) But I know some people have had issues too.

Was more a general reply to other posts I've read on this tread about range.....

I would have suggested the Mavic Air myself only its nearly double the price of the Spark and this is a gift for someone after all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Haven't had many chances to fly so had a short spin around 6pm this evening..

Thats class lad, i was contemplating flying mine at night but have been wary about, did ya run into any problems?

Cupatae wrote:
    Thats class lad, i was contemplating flying mine at night but have been wary about, did ya run into any problems?

Cheers man, no real problems apart from it kept saying cannot detect obstacles because it was too dark. It was a lovely clear night so could see it flashing away the whole time. :)

• Advertisement

Cheers man, no real problems apart from it kept saying cannot detect obstacles because it was too dark. It was a lovely clear night so could see it flashing away the whole time. :)
    I will just add one small thing, telephone wires/branches can be easy to run into at dusk/night even when it's an area you might know.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

Can anybody recommend a tablet to fly this with that won't break the bank?

I read that apple products are far superior to Android for DJI, but they're awfully expensive. Was thinking along the lines of the Amazon Fire HD 10, but not sure if it would have enough power or be bright enough outside.

Can anybody recommend a tablet to fly this with that won't break the bank?

I read that apple products are far superior to Android for DJI, but they're awfully expensive. Was thinking along the lines of the Amazon Fire HD 10, but not sure if it would have enough power or be bright enough outside.

I got a Used Apple Mini tablet at reasonable cost as it was only 16gigs - just enough for dji go a few weather apps etc and some footage storage for editing.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Might pull trigger on Mavic Air Combo tomorrow. Best price I could find is £749 for fly more combo.

=€835 delivered to Parcel Motel.

Going by camel camel seems an ok price?

Cheers

https://www.menkind.co.uk/dji-mavic-air-fly-more-combo-drone-arctic-white

Peppa Cig wrote:
    Going by camel camel seems an ok price?

Haven't heard of menkind.. the fly more combo is 810e on eglobal. All vat and duties are included. 10 working day delivery though..

Haven't heard of menkind.. the fly more combo is 810e on eglobal. All vat and duties are included. 10 working day delivery though..

Big national gadget shop in UK.

Peppa Cig wrote:

Decent price then!

Peppa Cig wrote: »

Dunno if any use to you - but there is a white one "as new" in the Amazon warehouse right now for a few quid cheaper - £729.12

Could be lucky and be just box slightly damaged. Their returns policy is good if it is not in an acceptable condition when you get it.

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote:
    Dunno if any use to you - but there is a white one "as new" in the Amazon warehouse right now for a few quid cheaper -

It's 749? 20 pounds cheaper?

Cheers ozmo. Tempting but note it is classified as Used / Like New. For extra £20 I might look a new. Would hate to get it and have to return it without fly8ng it.

• Advertisement

Hi, and I think @tedpan has experience with this.

So flew yesterday in a new location, only 50m from usual spot. I wanted to fly around a tower. Anyways it asked me to do the compass calibration, I did the dance (im always nervous im holding it wrong) and then it informed me it was ready to fly.

While up about 20m in the air, executing the fly around point of interest I get the warning compass error and really started to freak out - I exited the mode and landed asap and all seemed ok.

I should mention I know 20m is above the limit, I also spotted what I think was an ordinance survey plane nearby (low, flying slowly), could that have interfered?

jogdish wrote:
    I should mention I know 20m is above the limit, I also spotted what I think was an ordinance survey plane nearby (low, flying slowly), could that have interfered?

20m is not above the limit, you can't fly above120m(400ft) :)

Not sure, but sounds similar to when mine lost connection. Were there any aerials on the tower or nearby? It may well have been the OS plane, but I think they fly must fly above 500ft. So was probably further away than thought

20m is not above the limit, you can't fly above120m(400ft) :)

Not sure, but sounds similar to when mine lost connection. Were there any aerials on the tower or nearby? It may well have been the OS plane, but I think they fly must fly above 500ft. So was probably further away than thought
    Isnt 15m the legal limit for height? Yup plenty wifi and copper on the roof.

jogdish wrote:

It's 120m altitude and line of site. Now you can take it for a proper spin. :)

Google drone rules Ireland

It's 120m altitude and line of site. Now you can take it for a proper spin. :)

Google drone rules Ireland
    Dear god I was almost 100% certain it was 15m, but after seeing the IAA page(I've broken some others also :( ) it's like you say, yet I seen this too:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/drone-guidelines-ireland-3769954-Dec2017/

120 seems crazy high to me!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

15m is the limit for unregistered drones, 120m for those registered with the IAA. The line of sight applies up to 300m, after-which the 300m becomes the limit.

delly wrote: »
    15m is the limit for unregistered drones, 120m for those registered with the IAA. The line of sight applies up to 300m, after-which the 300m becomes the limit.
    Okay I am not registered - so thats why 15 was in my head - never looked into it, just remember hearing about needing to take some course and pay a fair bit of cash to get registered - then again it was some irish guys website maybe that was just his product as opposed to the law.

Feel so stupid now,

jogdish wrote:
    Okay I am not registered - so thats why 15 was in my head - never looked into it, just remember hearing about needing to take some course and pay a fair bit of cash to get registered - then again it was some irish guys website maybe that was just his product as opposed to the law.

jogdish wrote:
    Feel so stupid now,

Don't worry man, the air is under 1kg, so just register it on the IAA site for a fiver :) training is not required

Don't worry man, the air is under 1kg, so just register it on the IAA site for a fiver :) training is not required

when I got it I tried to register, and something on the site didn't allow me to click - I emailed and never got a reply - never bothered after that. Should do so again.

Not sure what that training course thingy was, some Irish guy has a youtube channel etc and charges a fair bit for a course some kinda cert - perhaps for commercial use im not sure.

Ugh I should have known all this - dummy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Homer

jogdish wrote: »

For MOST parts of Dublin that’s correct. People should really check before they go flying that they are not breaking the rules. It will just give all drone users a bad name otherwise.

Advertisement